[net.startrek] Dis Dat and Dee oter ting

timpson@comet.DEC (IN THE HANDS OF THE FATHER) (02/07/86)

>> Another point.  The Federation is, as a whole, a peaceful group.  Battleship
>> is an awfully military term, and perhaps calling the Enterprise a heavy
>> cruiser gives the Federation a few diplomatic points.  I belive this point was
>> brought up in one of the unofficial novels.  After all, if the Enterprise can
>> trash any given Klingon ship in battle, and they know it, what does it matter
>> if it's called a heavy cruiser, a PT boat, or _GOD'S_WRATH_PERSONIFIED_?

>In one of the episodes or one of the movies, didn't the Klingons refer
>to the Big E as "a Federation Battle Cruiser"?  I seem to recall a group
>of Klingons hunched around a sensor readout.  Seems like the Empire
>isn't impressed with the Federation's diplomatic posturing.

Yes as the Enterprise was entering the Mutara(sp) system Maltz was informing
the Kingon commander that a Federation Battle Cruiser had arrived.

Steve

>>>I want to thank everyone who responded to my posting about
>>>Sulu's first name.  The results are unanimous.  Sulu'
>>>first name is Hikaru by all acounts, however it was suggested
>>>that Walter Sulu was used in a novel.  Still Hikaru is the
>>>accepted name.
>>
>>      even George Takei says sulu's name is Walter Hikaru Sulu
>> p.s. Uhura has a first and middle name.  I can never remember which one is
>> which, but this is my favorite version: Nyoyta Penda Uhura.
>>                                         Chris Wayne @ UNM
>
>WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>    I was at the Baltimore convention in January, and Takei said that
>Hikaru is the APPROVED first name...he also said that any trivia dealing
>with the characters must first be approved by Roddenberry.  Hikaru has
>the needed approval.
>    About Uhura's name, Nyoyta, is approved, however, I don't know about the
>middle name.  I don't know the spelling of it, but I do know that it means
>?'freedom.'

The middle name is Upenda which means Freedom and Nyoyta means Star.

Steve

ins_bbdg@jhunix.UUCP (James T. Kirk) (02/12/86)

In his article, Steve writes:
> The middle name is Upenda which means Freedom and Nyoyta means Star.
What is your source?  I recently saw ''Is There In Truth No Beuty,''
and when Spock melds with the Medusan, he says something like,
''And Uhura, who's name means freedom.''  I seriously doubt that he's
referring to any other name than Uhura.
I have no way of knowing which personal names Roddenberry has given Uhura,
so I do not argue with the names themselves (though I think Upenda sounds
like something sailboats do in a squall :-)

--
"My favorite kind of diplomacy is a fully charged phaser bank."

  UUCP:   seismo!umcp-cs \                       BITNET: INS_BBDG@JHUVMS
            ihnp4!whuxcc  > !jhunix!ins_bbdg             P13I2691@JHUVM
         allegra!hopkins /                       CSNET:  ins_bbdg@jhunix.CSNET
              ARPA:   ins_bbdg%jhunix.BITNET@wiscvm.WISC.EDU