[net.startrek] \"You guys are stupid/Uhuras name

timpson@comet2.DEC (IN THE HANDS OF THE FATHER) (02/17/86)

>>	Although perhaps not an 'official' source, the dreadnought
>>class (as well as all the other classes, like the scout and the
>>cargoship) is described in the Star Trek Technical Manual (check the
>>title, but that's the basic idea.) The Technical Manual does say that
>>the dreadnought class was never built, however. I'm not sure who
>>wrote this book, but I have never seen a dreadnought or heard one
>>mentioned in any episode.

>I can't believe you people waste your time discussing the classification
>of spaceships that don't exist!  Can't you people realize that Star Trek
>was a TV show and the scriptwriters just made up things for the show?
>for g-d's sake you people act as if all of this is real!
>
>I like Star Trek a lot, but really folks. :-)

It is alot of fun and if you don't like it then stuff it!!!!!!!

                               Steve

--
I gathered this from the Startrek notesfile:

In Uhura's Song (Pocket books), Uhura's first name is given as Nyota
(that is also where the "translation" of "star" is given for her
first name.

According to Nichelle Nichols in 1976, Uhura's first name is Upenda.
Upenda is Swahili for "Love", and Uhuru translates to "Freedom".
Anyway, sometime after 1980 her first name was changed to Nyota.
I think Vonda McIntyre did it first, and the usage seems to have stuck.

Steve

ins_bbdg@jhunix.UUCP (James T. Kirk) (02/19/86)

******Replace this line with your favorite red-shirt******
Steve writes:
> In Uhura's Song (Pocket books), Uhura's first name is given as Nyota
> (that is also where the "translation" of "star" is given for her
> first name.
>

> According to Nichelle Nichols in 1976, Uhura's first name is Upenda.
> Upenda is Swahili for "Love", and Uhuru translates to "Freedom".
> Anyway, sometime after 1980 her first name was changed to Nyota.
> I think Vonda McIntyre did it first, and the usage seems to have stuck.

The only authority on *official* Star Trek names is Gene Roddenberry.  No
private novel author decides who gets which name, even if the name is
a commonly used one.

--
"My favorite kind of diplomacy is a fully charged phaser bank."

  UUCP:   seismo!umcp-cs \                       BITNET: INS_BBDG@JHUVMS
            ihnp4!whuxcc  > !jhunix!ins_bbdg             P13I2691@JHUVM
         allegra!hopkins /                       CSNET:  ins_bbdg@jhunix.CSNET
              ARPA:   ins_bbdg%jhunix.BITNET@wiscvm.WISC.EDU