[net.startrek] On Humans and Vulcans

plw@panda.UUCP (Pete Williamson) (02/21/86)

One of the major themes that I very much enjoy about Star Trek is the
general concept of discovery, of infinite diversity, and of the beauty
and awe of the Universe.  Indeed, the original five year mission and
a few of the TV episodes focussed on this.  Better still, several of
the newer Star Trek novels focus on Alien cultures and customs and deeper
character portrayals.

One of the themes that I really dislike is: "the intuitive, emotional,
Human way is far better than the logical, un-emotional, Vulcan way."
The major vehicle for this theme has been the character of McCoy.  Now
that I think of it, I've never really liked McCoy.  The whole business of
intuition vs. logic is foolish chiefly because Senior Officers on ships
like the Enterprise could only rise to major leadership positions by being
able to apply BOTH logic and intuition to all critical situations.

To a medical officer of McCoy's calibre, the scientific approach would
be a major tool at his disposal.  He would, by definition, be schooled
in the very logic that his character apparently abhors.  Spock's scientific
credentials and accomplishments are widely known throughout Federation Space.
Great scientists seem to have the ability to make intuitive leaps.  Surely
Spock has a great deal of intuition and insight (albeit hidden).  And Captain
James T. Kirk, arguably the finest field commander in Human History, could
hardly rise to greatness without a powerfully logical, precise mind.
Leadership, especially at that level, requires the best of both worlds, logic
AND intuition, with a lightning ability to swap between them as needed.

The theme that I like the best is one that the novels bring out a bit better
than the video medium: the SPECIAL BOND between two extraordinary individuals,
Kirk and Spock.  These characters are larger than life to say the least!
Kirk is the very essence of COMMAND.  Spock is ... Spock.  His character is
probably one of the most interesting ever created.  But put together, these
two are an unbelievable team: the whole far outweighing the sum of the parts.

On the whole, Star Trek is timeless and truly great!

--
						Pete Williamson
"By hook or by crook, we will !!" ... #2

follmer@hplabsb.UUCP (Stephen Follmer) (02/22/86)

I've submit that discussing the primacy of
  logic vs. intuition
  top down vs. bottom up
  reason vs. emotion
  mind vs. body
  man vs. God
  etc.
is as misguided or pointless as debating the issue
  yin vs. yang

Both are necessary.  Both have always been.  Both always will be.
Both are really the same; two sides of the same coin.

barmar@mit-eddie.UUCP (Barry Margolin) (02/22/86)

In article <1428@panda.UUCP> plw@genrad.UUCP (Pete Williamson) writes:
>One of the themes that I really dislike is: "the intuitive, emotional,
>Human way is far better than the logical, un-emotional, Vulcan way."
>The major vehicle for this theme has been the character of McCoy.  Now
>that I think of it, I've never really liked McCoy.  The whole business of
>intuition vs. logic is foolish chiefly because Senior Officers on ships
>like the Enterprise could only rise to major leadership positions by being
>able to apply BOTH logic and intuition to all critical situations.

I think you misunderstand McCoy.  From many examples it is obvious that
he has a highly logical mind, as does Kirk.  However, they combine this
with an emotional side.  The McCoy argument is that BOTH are necessary
for good judgement.  Vulcan's attempt to use only one, and therefore
tend to be cold and computer-like.  Much of "Journey to Babel" (the
episode with Spock's parents) was devoted to exploring this theme, and I
think it was done very well.  The arguments between Sarek and Amanda,
between Kirk/McCoy and Spock, and between Amanda and Spock, highlight
this philosophical problem.  I think the general feeling among the
humans in the show is that logic may be useful for basic decision
making, but emotions are necessary for proper social interaction.  "The
Galileo 7" (the one with Spock, McCoy, and other crew members stranded)
explores this by showing the callous decisions that are made solely on
the basis of logic, without concern for people's feelings.
--
    Barry Margolin
    ARPA: barmar@MIT-Multics