[net.startrek] Novel authority

pmm1920@ritcv.UUCP (02/22/86)

In article <1931@jhunix.UUCP> ins_bbdg@jhunix.UUCP (James T. Kirk) writes:
>******Replace this line with your favorite red-shirt******
>Steve writes:
>> In Uhura's Song (Pocket books), Uhura's first name is given as Nyota
>> (that is also where the "translation" of "star" is given for her
>> first name.
>>
>> According to Nichelle Nichols in 1976, Uhura's first name is Upenda.
>> Upenda is Swahili for "Love", and Uhuru translates to "Freedom".
>> Anyway, sometime after 1980 her first name was changed to Nyota.
>> I think Vonda McIntyre did it first, and the usage seems to have stuck.
>
>The only authority on *official* Star Trek names is Gene Roddenberry.  No
>private novel author decides who gets which name, even if the name is
>a commonly used one.

   Just giving my own thoughts on the matter...
I thought that the Timescape novels were "authorized" by someone important.
In this way, inconsistencies (sp) are kept out.
On the other hand, I may be wrong.

					Paul Meyerhofer

tom@utcsri.UUCP (Tom Nadas) (02/25/86)

Believe me, there are inconsistencies in the Pocket Books (Timescape is
dead) ST novels.  As far as I can tell, each writer is free to ignore
the other writers' works (which is good, because some of it is
dreadful).  However, Pocket is owned by Gulf+Western, the same people
who own Paramount, so in that sense they are authorized.

Robert J. Sawyer
in Toronto
c/o
--

					Tom Nadas

UUCP:   {decvax,linus,ihnp4,uw-beaver,allegra,utzoo}!utcsri!tom
CSNET:  tom@toronto