[net.startrek] Sulu's name

cwayne@unmc.UUCP (02/03/86)

>From: jody@inuxd.UUCP (JoLinda Ross)
>Subject: Sulu's name; thank you
>Date: 29 Jan 86 14:57:23 GMT
>
>I want to thank everyone who responded to my posting about
>Sulu's first name.  The results are unanimous.  Sulu'
>first name is Hikaru by all acounts, however it was suggested
>that Walter Sulu was used in a novel.  Still Hikaru is the
>accepted name.

     You've been listening to the wrong persons, even George Takei says
sulu's name is Walter Hikaru Sulu and since there hasn't been anything
really against that, well, that's pretty well set from here on out.  A
little hint: don't listen to everybody, just those of us that more or less
know our facts, quite simply because most people on this net are just novice
trekkies (or trekkers).  You can see it just by looking at the type of
traffic is sent.

p.s. Uhura has a first and middle name.  I can never remember which one is
which, but this is my favorite version: Nyoyta Penda Uhura.

                                        Chris Wayne @ UNM

ins_akew@jhunix.UUCP (Montgomery Scott) (02/05/86)

> >From: jody@inuxd.UUCP (JoLinda Ross)
> >
> >I want to thank everyone who responded to my posting about
> >Sulu's first name.  The results are unanimous.  Sulu'
> >first name is Hikaru by all acounts, however it was suggested
> >that Walter Sulu was used in a novel.  Still Hikaru is the
> >accepted name.
>
>      even George Takei says sulu's name is Walter Hikaru Sulu
> p.s. Uhura has a first and middle name.  I can never remember which one is
> which, but this is my favorite version: Nyoyta Penda Uhura.
>                                         Chris Wayne @ UNM

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I was at the Baltimore convention in January, and Takei said that
Hikaru is the APPROVED first name...he also said that any trivia dealing
with the characters must first be approved by Roddenberry.  Hikaru has
the needed approval.
    About Uhura's name, Nyoyta, is approved, however, I don't know about the
middle name.  I don't know the spelling of it, but I do know that it means
'freedom.'
How can you eat that?  Simple, I chew it!
Kevin E. Weiland
  UUCP:   seismo!umcp-cs \                       BITNET: INS_AKEW@JHUVMS
            ihnp4!whuxcc  > !jhunix!ins_akew             P13I0746@JHUVM
         allegra!hopkins /                       CSNET:  ins_akew@jhunix.CSNET
              ARPA:   ins_akew%jhunix.BITNET@wiscvm.WISC.EDU

deacon@ihu1g.UUCP (j m deacon) (02/11/86)

> About Uhura's name, Nyoyta, is approved, however, I don't know about the
> middle name.  I don't know the spelling of it, but I do know that
> it means 'freedom.'
No, Uhura means freedom.
--
Jim Deacon
ihnp4!ihu1g!deacon

roger@celtics.UUCP (Roger Klorese) (02/26/86)

In article <7@unmc.UUCP> cwayne@unm-cvax.UUCP (Chris Wayne) writes:
>>From: jody@inuxd.UUCP (JoLinda Ross)
>>Subject: Sulu's name; thank you
>>Date: 29 Jan 86 14:57:23 GMT
>>
>>I want to thank everyone who responded to my posting about
>>Sulu's first name.  The results are unanimous.  Sulu'
>>first name is Hikaru by all acounts, however it was suggested
>>that Walter Sulu was used in a novel.  Still Hikaru is the
>>accepted name.
>
>     You've been listening to the wrong persons, even George Takei says
>sulu's name is Walter Hikaru Sulu and since there hasn't been anything
>really against that, well, that's pretty well set from here on out.  A
>little hint: don't listen to everybody, just those of us that more or less
>know our facts, quite simply because most people on this net are just novice
>trekkies (or trekkers).  You can see it just by looking at the type of
>traffic is sent.
>
>p.s. Uhura has a first and middle name.  I can never remember which one is
>which, but this is my favorite version: Nyoyta Penda Uhura.
>

>                                        Chris Wayne @ UNM

George Takei is an ACTOR!!!! Your argument implies that a duck would be the
best source for a conversation on how to prepare duck a l'orange...
--
*** Speak for the company?  Naaaah, it's hard enough speaking for ME! ***

 ... "What were you expecting, rock'n'roll?"

Roger B.A. Klorese
Celerity Computing, 40 Speen St., Framingham, MA 01701, (617) 872-1772
UUCP: seismo!harvard!bu-cs!celtics!roger, ucbvax!sdcsvax!celerity!celtics!roger
ARPA: bu-cs!celtics!roger@harvard.ARPA, celerity!celtics!roger@sdcsvax.ARPA

ins_ajpo@jhunix.UUCP (Adric of Alzarius) (02/28/86)

> >>I want to thank everyone who responded to my posting about
> >>Sulu's first name.  The results are unanimous.  Sulu'
> >>first name is Hikaru by all acounts, however it was suggested
> >>that Walter Sulu was used in a novel.  Still Hikaru is the
> >>accepted name.
> >     You've been listening to the wrong persons, even George Takei says
> >sulu's name is Walter Hikaru Sulu and since there hasn't been anything
> >really against that, well, that's pretty well set from here on out.  A
> >little hint: don't listen to everybody, just those of us that more or less
> >know our facts, quite simply because most people on this net are just novice
> >trekkies (or trekkers).  You can see it just by looking at the type of
> >traffic is sent.
> George Takei is an ACTOR!!!! Your argument implies that a duck would be the
> best source for a conversation on how to prepare duck a l'orange...

WILL YOU ALL STOP THIS!!!!!!!

   Gene Roddenberry has the final word on anything dealing with Star Trek
characters.  He has chosen HIKARU as Sulu's OFFICIAL first name.

flames to /dev/null
"Me, not allowed??? I'm allowed everywhere!" -- The Doctor
Joseph P. Ogulin
  UUCP:   seismo!umcp-cs \                       BITNET: INS_AJPO@JHUVMS
            ihnp4!whuxcc  > !jhunix!ins_ajpo             P99I1798@JHUVM
         allegra!hopkins /                       CSNET:  ins_ajpo@jhunix.CSNET