[net.startrek] Phasers like photon torpedoes???

rodean@hpfcla.UUCP (02/21/86)

Last night I watched the last part of the Star Trek episode (I missed
the opening and hence the title) where a Romulan vessel has crossed the
Neutral Zone and destroyed several Federation outposts. The Romulan
vessel has a powerful plasma weapon and a cloaking device. The actor who
portrays the Romulan commander plays Spocks' father in another episode
(I believe his name is Mark Leonard from previous discussions). He and
Kirk wage a battle much like a chess game.

My question is this: In the episode, the Enterprise fires its phasers,
but they appear more like photon torpedoes. They go blip, blip, blip
upon leaving the ship and explode in a flash of light. They are not like
the phasers of "The Doomsday Machine", for example, which are relatively
continuous beams of light. At what point in the series did they change
the behavior of phasers and when did photon torpedoes show up?

Bruce Rodean
{ihnp4|hplabs}!hpfcla!rodean

pmm1920@ritcv.UUCP (02/26/86)

In article <50000009@hpfclo.UUCP> rodean@hpfcla.UUCP writes:
>My question is this: In the episode, the Enterprise fires its phasers,
>but they appear more like photon torpedoes. They go blip, blip, blip
>upon leaving the ship and explode in a flash of light. They are not like
>the phasers of "The Doomsday Machine", for example, which are relatively
>continuous beams of light. At what point in the series did they change
>the behavior of phasers and when did photon torpedoes show up?

Are you sure they said they were photons?  Phasers always (?) come out in
"streams" and photons always (?) in "blips".   By the by, photons are
supposed to do more damage, but they take longer to 'prepare' to be fired.

					Paul Meyerhofer

P.S. I am not an expert and, therefore, I may be completely wrong on
	all that I wrote here - except my name.

daver@nsc.UUCP (Dave Raulino) (02/27/86)

lose
enough to do some damage).  This, of course, isn't consistant with
normal phasers, perhaps after this episode the writers decided to
call this type of weapon a "Photon Torpedo".  Either that, or someone
screwed up.

If any of you in net.startrek-land get a chance, check this movie out
and see if you agree.

                                        Dave R.

                "They're not booing, they're saying

															'DAAAAAAAAAAAVE'"

ins_akew@jhunix.UUCP (Montgomery Scott) (02/27/86)

> In article <50000009@hpfclo.UUCP> rodean@hpfcla.UUCP writes:
> >My question is this: In the episode, the Enterprise fires its phasers,
> >but they appear more like photon torpedoes. They go blip, blip, blip
> >upon leaving the ship and explode in a flash of light. They are not like
> >the phasers of "The Doomsday Machine", for example, which are relatively
> >continuous beams of light. At what point in the series did they change
> >the behavior of phasers and when did photon torpedoes show up?
>
> Are you sure they said they were photons?  Phasers always (?) come out in
> "streams" and photons always (?) in "blips".   By the by, photons are
> supposed to do more damage, but they take longer to 'prepare' to be fired.

They did say that they were phasers.  One thing:  this was one of the
 earlier episodes.

Oh when the flames...come rolling in...oh when the flames come rolling in...
Lord how I want to be in asbestos...when the flames come rolling in.
Kevin E. Weiland
  UUCP:   seismo!umcp-cs \                       BITNET: INS_AKEW@JHUVMS
            ihnp4!whuxcc  > !jhunix!ins_akew             P13I0746@JHUVM
         allegra!hopkins /                       CSNET:  ins_akew@jhunix.CSNET
              ARPA:   ins_akew%jhunix.BITNET@wiscvm.WISC.EDU

pritch@osu-eddie.UUCP (Norman Pritchett) (03/01/86)

In article <9393@ritcv.UUCP> pmm1920@ritcv.UUCP (PUT YOUR NAME HERE) writes:
>In article <50000009@hpfclo.UUCP> rodean@hpfcla.UUCP writes:
>>My question is this: In the episode, the Enterprise fires its phasers,
>>but they appear more like photon torpedoes. They go blip, blip, blip
>>upon leaving the ship and explode in a flash of light. They are not like
>>the phasers of "The Doomsday Machine", for example, which are relatively
>>continuous beams of light. At what point in the series did they change
>>the behavior of phasers and when did photon torpedoes show up?
>>

>Are you sure they said they were photons?  Phasers always (?) come out in
>"streams" and photons always (?) in "blips".   By the by, photons are
>supposed to do more damage, but they take longer to 'prepare' to be fired.
>
>					Paul Meyerhofer

Yes, he's sure they said they were photons.  I also noticed a long time ago
that there was some inconsistency early on in the series about what photons
and phasers should look like but really never paid much attention to when
they got it settled down. So, I too am interested in when the special
affects for photons and phasers stabilized.

--
Norm Pritchett, The Ohio State University
BITNET: TS1703 at OHSTVMA	Bellnet: (614) 422-0885