[net.startrek] Games theory -- was

ins_apmj@jhunix.UUCP (Patrick M Juola) (03/04/86)

In article <2078@jhunix.UUCP> ins_bbdg@jhunix.UUCP (James T. Kirk) writes:
>In article <2054@jhunix.UUCP> Ken Arromdee writes:
>> In article <4474MIQ@PSUVMA> miq@psuvm.bitnet.UUCP writes:
>
>>>   There is a major hitch here-- the fact that a piece of logical machinery,
>>>in doing the most logical thing, is perfectly predictable.  This would spell
>>>doom in any battle or conflict, whether in space or on a chessboard.
>
>> No.  There are situations where the most logical thing to do is to make a ran-
>> dom decision, for precisely the reason that it's less predictable--making the
>> unpredictable decision has a higher probablilty of producing the desired
>> result than any predictable decision.  If a machine makes a predictable
>> decision in such a situation, it isn't "doing the most logical thing".
>> Kenneth Arromdee
>I disagree.  If two giant computers were playing chess, both had equal
>information, and both had equal capabilities, then both would be able to
>figure out all possible moves, all possible consequecnes of all possible
>moves, all possible consequenses to all possible consequences, etc.  Then,
>each would try to find the most advantageous moves possible.
>Therefore, the one who moved first, should win, since he chooses the most
>advantageous move with which to open.  Similarly, if two gigantic battle
>computers were working on ships, the battle would never exist, since each
>computer would be working on the best time and the most advantageous plan
>along with the most favorable situation, while also computing what the other
>computer would be computing, trying to second-guess it, and work *that*
>into the situation.  If you're curious for further explination, see the Dr.
>Who episode entitled "Destiny of the Daleks" with Tom Baker.
>Lad, you're gonna need somethin' ta wash thaet down with.  Y'ever try any
>Saurian Brandy?

Wrong, wrong, wrong.  Chess is a poor example, since chess is what is known
as a "strictly determined" game.  Let's take a really simple game for a while,
all right?

	Rules of our game :  We both take a coin and (secretly set it to
be either heads or tails.  If we match, you win $1, if not, I win $1.

	What is your best strategy?  Basically, just flip the darn thing, so
it lands randomly.  If you use a *REAL* strategy (heads only on tries divisible
by three, etc), I can predict your strategy and use it against you.  If, on the
other hand, you're totally random, the best I will hit is 50/50, no matter what
I do.  See any decent games theory (or finite mathematics) text if you don't
believe me.

	P.S.  There are games that the second player can force a win, despite
the first player playing perfectly.  Also, for anyone who considers Dr. Who
a scientific source, I have a perpetual motion machine to sell him...

							Pat Juola
							Hopkins Maths
"Reverse the polarity of the neutron flow," indeed!