[net.startrek] On Humans, Vulcans and Sarek

elb@mtx5d.UUCP (Ellen Bart) (02/25/86)

I've been following the arguements (uh, um, discussions) about
Kirk's eulogy of Spock and am wondering if anyone was bothered
by another Human v.s. Vulcan comment that bothered me.

In "Search for Spock", Sarek says (and I misquote)

	My logic is weak were my son is concerned.

Now, to me, that is totally out of character for Sarek - especially
since he doesn't have a human half to blame it on.  Besides, what's
so illogical about trying the one chance Spock has for survival?

Comments? Suggestions?

Ellen Bart

pritch@osu-eddie.UUCP (Norman Pritchett) (02/25/86)

In article <745@mtx5d.UUCP> elb@mtx5d.UUCP (Ellen Bart) writes:
>I've been following the arguements (uh, um, discussions) about
>Kirk's eulogy of Spock and am wondering if anyone was bothered
>by another Human v.s. Vulcan comment that bothered me.
>
>In "Search for Spock", Sarek says (and I misquote)
>
>	My logic is weak were my son is concerned.
>
>Now, to me, that is totally out of character for Sarek - especially
>since he doesn't have a human half to blame it on.  Besides, what's
>so illogical about trying the one chance Spock has for survival?
>
>Comments? Suggestions?
>
>Ellen Bart

Amanda was influenced by Vulcan culture.  Surely, Sarek couldn't have
tangled with Earth culture and come out unscathed :-)
--
Norm Pritchett, The Ohio State University
BITNET: TS1703 at OHSTVMA	Bellnet: (614) 422-0885

dr37@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Joanna Bryson) (02/26/86)

In article <745@mtx5d.UUCP> elb@mtx5d.UUCP (Ellen Bart) writes:
>In "Search for Spock", Sarek says (and I misquote)
>	My logic is weak were my son is concerned.
>Now, to me, that is totally out of character for Sarek ...

Sarek must be something of a renegade, he married a human.  In Amok Time
Spock makes it sound like marriage is considered a necessary but virtually
unmentionable evil, so making a marriage by choice at all let alone to a
human must be pretty weird.  I wonder if Spock's so defensive about his
human half because he's rebelling against his father's expressiveness,
like preppie kids of hippie parents?

Joanna

rjnoe@riccb.UUCP (Roger J. Noe) (02/27/86)

> In "Search for Spock", Sarek says (and I misquote)
>
> 	My logic is weak were my son is concerned.
>
> Now, to me, that is totally out of character for Sarek - especially
> since he doesn't have a human half to blame it on.  Besides, what's
> so illogical about trying the one chance Spock has for survival?
>
> Comments? Suggestions?
>
> Ellen Bart

Yes, Sarek in ST3:TSFS was a real disappointment.  I don't know if it's
just that Mark Lenard forgot how to act or if Leonard Nimoy never learned
how to direct a Vulcan character.
--
"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"
	Roger Noe			ihnp4!riccb!rjnoe

showard@udenva.UUCP (Mr. Blore) (02/27/86)

In article <745@mtx5d.UUCP> elb@mtx5d.UUCP (Ellen Bart) writes:
>I've been following the arguements (uh, um, discussions) about
>Kirk's eulogy of Spock and am wondering if anyone was bothered
>by another Human v.s. Vulcan comment that bothered me.
>
>In "Search for Spock", Sarek says (and I misquote)
>
>	My logic is weak were my son is concerned.
>
>Now, to me, that is totally out of character for Sarek - especially
>since he doesn't have a human half to blame it on.

  Vulcan have emotions, they just don't show them. References: Amok Time,
Journey to Babel, All Our Yesterdays, and the Lincoln episode, the name
of which escapes me.

"Spock, what happened?"
"The occipital area of my head impacted with the chair"
--
Mr. Blore, the DJ who would not die
                      {hplabs, seismo}!hao!udenva!showard

prewitt@unm-la.UUCP (AIDE Mike Prewitt) (02/28/86)

In article <637@riccb.UUCP> rjnoe@riccb.UUCP (Roger J. Noe) writes:
>> In "Search for Spock", Sarek says (and I misquote)
>>
>> 	My logic is weak were my son is concerned.
>>
>> Now, to me, that is totally out of character for Sarek - especially
>> since he doesn't have a human half to blame it on.  Besides, what's
>> so illogical about trying the one chance Spock has for survival?
>>
>> Comments? Suggestions?
>>
>> Ellen Bart
>
>Yes, Sarek in ST3:TSFS was a real disappointment.  I don't know if it's
>just that Mark Lenard forgot how to act or if Leonard Nimoy never learned
>how to direct a Vulcan character.
>--
>	Roger Noe			ihnp4!riccb!rjnoe

	I disagree with Roger.
	Remember that Sarek was an ambasador to many world.   This alone
means that he has to understand and appreaciate (sp?) the emotion of
humans and other species.  If one were to use Logic in all diplomatic relation,
one would find himself at war.  Sarek must have learned this early on with
his diplomatic career, and later with Spock. ( Journy to Bable )

	Also remember that Sarek married an Earth woman.  That would really
give him some idea of the effect of emotions.

	I conclude that if Sarek wasn't corupted(sp?) by emotions, he knows
much about them and that logic isn't an effective key against (sp?)
emotion.   In Spocks case it is also true.   Sarek desided that Spock
should go to the Vulcan Accadamy of Science, but Spock felt that it was
better for him, Logically of course, that it was better for him to enter
StarFleet because of his dual herratage. (sp?) Logically, this means that
Sarek's logic is weak where his son is conserned by his past record.

	This of course is my oppinion, and like Ellen would like to
here other oppinions and comments.  Eather through e-mail or the net.

                            Thanks for your time,

				Mike Prewitt
			        University of New Mexico,
				Los Alamos Campus.

gt3191b@gt-oscar.UUCP (MCALLISTER) (03/03/86)

>I've been ... wondering...
>   Sarek ->
>         	My logic is weak were my son is concerned.
>
>... since he doesn't have a human half to blame it on.  Besides, what's
>so illogical about trying the one chance Spock has for survival?

As far as I have ever understood it, there is nothing biological about
the Vulcan brain that makes it so logical, it is simply a way of life
(kind of like Zen, etc.) and the entire population subscribes to it.
(at least as far as we humans are allowed to see! :-)(-: )

Therefore, it is possible for Sarek to "love" his son as he has learned
(good or bad) from his "human" wife.  He undoubtedly would be very
unwilling to admit the presence of this emotion, but we were priveledged!

Just a few (probably wildly different from your own) thoughts!

{ ================= }

McAllister, Daniel Grear               1985     Football    Basketball
                                                --------    ----------
Georgia Insitute of Technology,        Tech       20            89
PO Box 33191                           UGa        16            65
Atlanta Georgia, 30332
                                           "Silence is Golden"

             WHAT?    ME?   GRADUATE?     THEN What'll I do?

...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gt-oscar!gt3191b

ayers@convex.UUCP (03/06/86)

>As far as I have ever understood it, there is nothing biological about
>the Vulcan brain that makes it so logical, it is simply a way of life
>(kind of like Zen, etc.) and the entire population subscribes to it.
>(at least as far as we humans are allowed to see! :-)(-: )

This, in fact, is supported by Nimoy's opening scenes in STTMP (Movie #1)
where he is finishing up the ordeal/ceremony that was supposed to "purge"
his remaining emotions.  The fact that an established ceremony existed
showed that it wasn't just "half-breeds" that had that problem...

<Logical, if unorthodox>

blues, II