[net.startrek] Phasers that look like photons...

ins_atty@jhunix.UUCP (Berserker Bob) (03/02/86)

I seem to recall an old episode of Star Trek where Kirk ordered the phasers,
fired in a wide field in pulses.  They came out looking like photons.  I can't
remember which episode it was, but I think that phasers when fired in pulses
would tend to look like photon torps...wouldn't they?

That's my solution to the thing...of course, you never know...the producers
might've screwed up...eh?

Ted Ying.

--
"Is anyone here a Physics buff, that admits it?  I'm not and I won't so that
 doesn't make a difference..."

scco@ur-tut.UUCP (Sean Colbath) (03/05/86)

In article <2055@jhunix.UUCP> ins_atty@jhunix.UUCP (Berserker Bob) writes:
>I seem to recall an old episode of Star Trek where Kirk ordered the phasers,
>fired in a wide field in pulses.  They came out looking like photons.  I can't
>remember which episode it was, but I think that phasers when fired in pulses
>would tend to look like photon torps...wouldn't they?
>That's my solution to the thing...of course, you never know...the producers
>might've screwed up...eh?
>
>Ted Ying.
>BITNET: INS_ATTY@JHUVMS		UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!jhunix!ins_atty
>	G43I4000@JHUVM			ihnp4!whuxcc!jhunix!ins_atty
>        ins_atty@jhunix.BITNET		allegra!hopkins!jhunix!ins_atty

This has always puzzled me, too, and the only explanation that I can come
up with is this:  Since the Enterprise is firing at an invisible target,
they are firing in a large burst pattern in hopes of making a hit (much
like a destroyer does when trying to sink a sub).  Perhaps only the phaser
shots that *hit* a target make the visible beam, and ones that just continue
on out until they dissapate make the sort of flash.  I assumed that what
we were seeing was neither from the Enterprises' point-of-view or the
Romulans' but from some point out in space.  However, the only problem with
this is that if the Enterprise hit, they would have an immediate fix on the
Romulans' position.

Sean Colbath
UUCP:    ...allegra!rochester!ur-tut!scco
BITNET:  SCCO@UORVM
"*No more* bonk bonk!"

kdj@teddy.UUCP (03/06/86)

	The "phasers coming out like photons" was a mistake.  I believe the
	episode was an early version (in their first season).  I'll try to
	find out which episode.  But, I do recall reading that it was a
	mistake.  (After reading this book, I found that there were many
	other interesting tidbits of trivia)

	For instance, in "Space seed" (the episode that "The wrath of Kahn"
	was based on).  You will notice that when they open up Ricardo M.
	(Kahn) chamber that Kirk knocks his phasor off his belt and on to
	the floor.  The interesting part comes when you watch McCoys eyes.
	You'll see him continuously look at the floor, then to Kirk, to the
	floor, ...  McCoy was waiting for the director to cut the shot so
	they could refilm it, so he was debating whether or not to pick up
	Kirks phasor.

daver@nsc.UUCP (Dave Raulino) (03/06/86)

This posting about "Balance of Terror" and the Photon Torpedo-like
Phasers got me to thinking about that episode and my theory (which
follows) as to why they're like that.  I'm new to the net, so I'm not
sure if anyone else has looked at it this way.

"The Set Up"

It has always appeared to me that this episode's storyline was taken almost
directly from a WW II submarine story called "The Enemy Below".  I've
both read the book and seen the movie (probably before I got into
watching Star Trek) and have always enjoyed seeing ST's adaptation of
this story.

In the book, the battle is between a British destroyer and a German
sub, while the B/W movie uses an American destroyer in place of the
British ship.  The movie stars Robert Mitchum as the American Captain,
while Kurt Jergens (sp?) stars as Mitchum's counterpart.  The story is
the same:  fast, maneuverable and heavily armed "visible" vessel versus a
small, relatively slow adversary who is hard to find and packs a hell of
a wallop.

The destroyer's captain first shadows the sub, then he begins to press
the attack, constantly hounding and outguessing the sub's commander.
In fact, some of the dialogue seems nearly the same.  There is a scene
where both vessels go silent, each trying to wait out the other
and a scene where the sub tries to reverse course on the ship.
The sub is hoping to get close enough to the coast where it can pick
up air cover and constantly keeps coming back to the same course.
The destroyer's pursuit is so relentless, and the depth charges are
coming so often, that when a man is killed in an attack, the sub's
commander orders clothing, oil, mattresses and the body to be ejected
in the hopes of faking destruction.

The sub finally gets off a torpedo, damages the destroyer and comes up
for the kill.  This is where the stories diverge.  The destroyer has
lost most of her maneuverability and some of her guns, so the captain
orders a course to ram the sub.  The ramming is successful, but both
ships are mortally wounded and are sinking.  As all hands begin to
abandon ship, the American captain sees the German commander
stranded on the top of the conning tower.  He rescues him and the two
of them climb into a life raft together, each respecting the other's
abilities.  Roll titles.

"The Theory"

One possible answer as to why the Phasers looked like Photon Torpedos
could be that the writers and producers were using them like depth
charges (set a depth, fire a pattern, and hope one gets close
enough to do some damage).  This, of course, isn't consistant with
normal phasers, perhaps after this episode the writers decided to
call this type of weapon a "Photon Torpedo".  Either that, or someone
screwed up.

If any of you in net.startrek-land get a chance, check this movie out
and see if you agree.

                                        Dave R.

                "They're not booing, they're saying

															'DAAAAAAAAAAAVE'"

ugthomas@sunybcs.UUCP (Timothy Thomas) (03/07/86)

>I seem to recall an old episode of Star Trek where Kirk ordered the phasers,
>fired in a wide field in pulses.  They came out looking like photons.  I can't
>remember which episode it was, but I think that phasers when fired in pulses
>would tend to look like photon torps...wouldn't they?

I believe the episode was Balance of Terror.  I dont think it was
the only one that did that.  (at least they never ordered photons shot
and have the phasers shot!)

--