[net.startrek] "Revenge is a dish..."- what *Official* sources say...

wanttaja@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ronald J Wanttaja) (01/09/86)

Finally got real curious about the STtWOK/Young Sherlock Holmes discussion
about "Revenge is a dish best served cold," so I checked it out:

From the _Concise_Oxford_Dictionary_of_Proverbs_:

>    REVENGE IS A DISH THAT CAN BE EATEN COLD
>
> 1885 C. Lowe _Prince_Bismarck_I_.  "He had defended Olmutz, it is true,
> but... with a secret resolution to 'eat the dish of his revenge cold
> instead of hot.'"
> 1975 O'FAOLAIN _Women_in_Wall_.  "Revenge... is a meal that's as tasty
> cold as hot.  Tastier cold sometimes."

Anyway, it is apparent that the quote from the two movies has been around,
in one form or another, during the periods depicted.  I realize YSH was set
earlier from 1885, but from the quote it is obvious that Lowe was using an
existing proverb even then.  So, the saying could have been used by a
"Young Sherlock Holmes."  As for it being a Klingon proverb, well... it
could have been "parallel evolution," or they could have stolen it early in
the days of Federation/Klingon contact.

Or.... has anyone waded through _Moby_Dick_ lately?  Half of Khan's lines
were lifted from there.  Maybe it was used in Melville?

	    Ron (But I haven't finished studying my predators yet) Wanttaja
	    (ssc-vax!wanttaja)

dobro@ulowell.UUCP (Chet Dobro) (02/25/86)

>Or.... has anyone waded through _Moby_Dick_ lately?  Half of Khan's lines
>were lifted from there.  Maybe it was used in Melville?

Remember, Khan had a copy of _Moby_Dick_. He could have deliberately taken
quotes out of there. (as well as from _King_Lear_, and others...)

BTW, where did those books come from? Stored on the Botany Bay?

And one more question: where would Khan have HEARD an old *Klingon* proverb?

Comments?

						Gryphon

pmm1920@ritcv.UUCP (02/27/86)

In article <218@ulowell.UUCP> dobro@ulowell.UUCP (Chet Dobro) writes:
>BTW, where did those books come from? Stored on the Botany Bay?

Call me stupid, uniformed, dumb or whatever.
Could someone Please tell me what "BTW" stands for?  I have a general idea
but can't quite figure it out.

					Thanks,
					Paul Mererhofer

tonti@ptsfc.UUCP (Guy Tonti) (02/28/86)

> Remember, Khan had a copy of _Moby_Dick_. He could have deliberately taken
> quotes out of there. (as well as from _King_Lear_, and others...)
>
> BTW, where did those books come from? Stored on the Botany Bay?
>
> And one more question: where would Khan have HEARD an old *Klingon* proverb?
>
> Comments?
>

> 						Gryphon

When sent into "exile" by Kirk, an Historian (her name escapes me...) was
also sent with Khan and the rest.  She would seem to be a likely source
for the literature, and possibly other things that Khan picked up.

Guy Tonti

pmm1920@ritcv.UUCP (02/28/86)

In article <218@ulowell.UUCP> dobro@ulowell.UUCP (Chet Dobro) writes:

>BTW, where did those books come from? Stored on the Botany Bay?

I think the only place to get the books would be on the Botony Bay.
Also, remember that he did read a lot out of the ship's libraries before
getting booted off the ship.

>And one more question: where would Khan have HEARD an old *Klingon* proverb?

Again, maybe he read about the proverbs from the ships libraries.  Also,
how 'bout from his wife?  (a poor guess but you never know)

					Paul Meyerhofer

daver@sci.UUCP (Dave Rickel) (03/04/86)

The hisorian was Martha McGivers.

Khan's party may have been given some aids from the Enterprise to help in
their colonization attempt.  If not, it seems reasonable that, after taking
over the Grissolm (sp?), Khan would read up on the Federation's opponents and
their tactics.  The proverb could have been mentioned in one of those sources.

david rickel

marcum@sun.uucp (Alan Marcum) (03/04/86)

> 			       If not, it seems reasonable that, after taking
> over the Grissolm (sp?), Khan would read up on the Federation's opponents and
> their tactics.
> david rickel

Um, folks, that's GRISSOM, as in Gus, as in the astronaut, as in the
Apollo 1 fire.  (Another interesting tribute is that there is a radio
navigation aid in Indiana called Grissom VOR.  VORs all have unique
3-letter identifiers; Grissom VOR's is G-U-S.)
--
Alan M. Marcum				Sun Microsystems, Technical Consulting
...!{dual,ihnp4}!sun!nescorna!marcum	Mountain View, California

steve@bambi.UUCP (Steve Miller) (03/05/86)

> The hisorian was Martha McGivers.

                   Marla

kendalla@orca.UUCP (Kendall Auel) (03/06/86)

In article <9398@ritcv.UUCP> pmm1920@ritcv.UUCP (PUT YOUR NAME HERE) writes:
>Could someone Please tell me what "BTW" stands for?  I have a general idea
>but can't quite figure it out.

"Bananas Taste Weird" (It is an old Klingon proverb)

--
Kendall Auel                  ^ ^
<tektronix!orca!kendalla>    /O O\

ins_ajpo@jhunix.UUCP (Adric of Alzarius) (03/06/86)

> The hisorian was Martha McGivers.

The historian was Marla McGivers.

> Khan's party may have been given some aids from the Enterprise to help in
> their colonization attempt.  If not, it seems reasonable that, after taking
> over the Grissolm (sp?), Khan would read up on the Federation's opponents and
> their tactics.  The proverb could have been mentioned in one of those sources.

Khan took over the USS RELIANT.  The GRISSOM (sp) was in ST III.
"Me, not allowed??? I'm allowed everywhere!" -- The Doctor
Joseph P. Ogulin
  UUCP:   seismo!umcp-cs \                       BITNET: INS_AJPO@JHUVMS
            ihnp4!whuxcc  > !jhunix!ins_ajpo             P99I1798@JHUVM
         allegra!hopkins /                       CSNET:  ins_ajpo@jhunix.CSNET
              ARPA:   ins_ajpo%jhunix.BITNET@wiscvm.WISC.EDU

hammen@puff.UUCP (Zaphod Beeblebrox) (03/06/86)

In article <3318@sun.uucp>, marcum@sun.uucp (Alan Marcum) types:
> > 			       If not, it seems reasonable that, after taking
> > over the Grissolm (sp?), Khan would read up on the Federation's opponents and
> > their tactics.
> > david rickel
>
> Um, folks, that's GRISSOM, as in Gus, as in the astronaut, as in the

In case no one remebers, Khan took over the Reliant, not the Grissom.

Robert J. Hammen		  {seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!uwvax!puff!hammen
U. of Wisc. CS Dept.		  			     !gumby!hammen
U. of Wisc. Plasma Physics Dept.  hammen@PUFF.WISC.EDU
Manta Software Corp.		  hammen@GUMBY.WISC.EDU

avolio@decuac.UUCP (03/08/86)

> > > over the Grissolm (sp?), Khan would read up on the Federation's opponents and
> > Um, folks, that's GRISSOM, as in Gus, as in the astronaut, as in the
> In case no one remebers, Khan took over the Reliant, not the Grissom.

Well, it's RELYANT, as in "Jake Relyant" the first person to get sick
to his stomach during NASA training.  He subsequently got canned from
the program, not having the right stuff.  He ran off with a Senator's
wife -- Martha (note the spelling) Applerot.

Okay, look, this was getting just so silly...

--
Fred @ DEC Ultrix Applications Center
UUCP: {decvax,seismo,cbosgd}!decuac!avolio       INET: avolio@decuac.DEC.COM