[net.startrek] Number One from "The Cage"

sam@bucsd.UUCP (Shelli Meyers) (03/03/86)

Who was she?  Is it me or did she look remarkably like Nurse Chapel?

P.S. Look, I fixed my .signature...

--
"When in Rome, do as the Romulans do!"
Shelli Meyers

anich@puff.UUCP (Steve Anich) (03/04/86)

In article <231@bucsd.UUCP>, sam@bucsd.UUCP (Shelli Meyers) writes:
> Who was she?  Is it me or did she look remarkably like Nurse Chapel?

	It is the same actress as n she who plays Nurse
Chapel. I think that the Brown hair of Number One is her
real hair color, not the blond color of nurse chapel.

		Steve Anich < How does this work?
			      Technology scares me.>

ins_akew@jhunix.UUCP (Montgomery Scott) (03/05/86)

> Who was she?  Is it me or did she look remarkably like Nurse Chapel?

Yes.  Majel Barret played both Number 1 and Nurse Chapel.

Oh when the flames...come rolling in...oh when the flames come rolling in...
Lord how I want to be in asbestos...when the flames come rolling in.
Kevin E. Weiland
  UUCP:   seismo!umcp-cs \                       BITNET: INS_AKEW@JHUVMS
            ihnp4!whuxcc  > !jhunix!ins_akew             P13I0746@JHUVM
         allegra!hopkins /                       CSNET:  ins_akew@jhunix.CSNET
              ARPA:   ins_akew%jhunix.BITNET@wiscvm.WISC.EDU

atoy@watnot.UUCP (Andy Toy) (03/06/86)

In article <231@bucsd.UUCP> sam@bucsd.UUCP (Shelli Meyers) writes:
>Who was she?  Is it me or did she look remarkably like Nurse Chapel?

Yep, you're right!  She is the same person.  Who else stayed on for the
series and did anyone else get switched around to another character?
And why did they replace Hunter with Shatner?  Was it supposed to be
that way all along?  Didn't they like Hunter?

--
  Andy Toy, Mapping Analysis and Design Group (MAD),
  Faculty of Environmental Studies, University of Waterloo,

jody@inuxd.UUCP (JoLinda Ross) (03/06/86)

> Who was she?  Is it me or did she look remarkably like Nurse Chapel?
>
> P.S. Look, I fixed my .signature...
>

> --
> "When in Rome, do as the Romulans do!"
> Shelli Meyers
> UUCP: ...!harvard!bu-cs!sam
> ARPA: sam%bu-cs.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
> REAL LIFE: I dunno.  Somewhere in Boston.

Yes Number One and Nurse Chapel are one and the same.  The actress' name
is Majel Barrett, I believe.

                                           jody

karl@cbrma.UUCP (Karl Kleinpaste) (03/07/86)

In article <11578@watnot.UUCP> atoy@watnot.UUCP (Andy Toy) writes:
>And why did they replace Hunter with Shatner?  Was it supposed to be
>that way all along?  Didn't they like Hunter?

They liked him fine, but one of the books on ST (I think it was _T_h_e
_M_a_k_i_n_g _o_f _S_t_a_r _T_r_e_k) pointed out that, after finishing the first
pilot and being told to make a second, the producers found that Hunter
had become unavailable.  So they hunted around (no pun intended) and
found Shatner was available and pretty good for the part.
--
Karl Kleinpaste

anich@puff.UUCP (Steve Anich) (03/08/86)

In article <11578@watnot.UUCP>, atoy@watnot.UUCP (Andy Toy) writes:
> And why did they replace Hunter with Shatner?  Was it supposed to be
> that way all along?  Didn't they like Hunter?

	I believe the reason was that after the first pilot the
show wasn't picked up immediately. A year later they were going
to shoot another pilot, but Hunter turned down the role of Pike
to play the lead in some type of cheese-whiz, sf-spy adventure.
I don't remember the name of the movie, but the lead had a little
time travel device so he could prevent assasinations and other fun
stuff like that. It sure wasn't a great career choice for Hunter.

			Steve Anich < anich@puff.UUCP >

rjnoe@riccb.UUCP (Roger J. Noe) (03/08/86)

> And why did they replace Hunter with Shatner?  Was it supposed to be
> that way all along?  Didn't they like Hunter?
> --
>   Andy Toy, Mapping Analysis and Design Group (MAD),

Jeffrey Hunter was unavailable to play the part of Captain Pike when the
second pilot, "Where No Man has Gone Before," was cast.
--
Roger Noe			ihnp4!riccb!rjnoe

rjnoe@riccb.UUCP (Roger J. Noe) (03/08/86)

> > Who was she?  Is it me or did she look remarkably like Nurse Chapel?
> > Shelli Meyers
>
> Yes Number One and Nurse Chapel are one and the same.  The actress' name
> is Majel Barrett, I believe.
>                                            jody

Originally she was M. Leigh Hudec and now she is Majel Barrett Roddenberry.
--
Roger Noe			ihnp4!riccb!rjnoe

prewitt@unm-la.UUCP (AIDE Mike Prewitt) (03/08/86)

In article <11578@watnot.UUCP> atoy@watnot.UUCP (Andy Toy) writes:
>In article <231@bucsd.UUCP> sam@bucsd.UUCP (Shelli Meyers) writes:
>>Who was she?  Is it me or did she look remarkably like Nurse Chapel?
>
>Yep, you're right!  She is the same person.  Who else stayed on for the
>series and did anyone else get switched around to another character?
>And why did they replace Hunter with Shatner?  Was it supposed to be
>that way all along?  Didn't they like Hunter?
>
>--
>  Andy Toy, Mapping Analysis and Design Group (MAD),
>  Faculty of Environmental Studies, University of Waterloo,
>  Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA N2L 3G1   (519) 885-1211 x6592

	Lenord Nemoy stayed on as Mr. Spock.  The reason for having Kirk
to be the captain instead of Pike was that Jeffery Hunter wasn't available
for the second pilot.

				- Mike Prewitt -

avolio@decuac.UUCP (03/08/86)

> > And why did they replace Hunter with Shatner? ...
> 	I believe the reason was that after the first pilot the
> show wasn't picked up immediately. ...but Hunter turned down the role of Pike
> to play the lead in some type of cheese-whiz, sf-spy adventure....

Well, yes... And then again there was the fact that Hunter was dead by
that time having fallen down the stairs of his home, breaking his
neck.

--
Fred @ DEC Ultrix Applications Center
UUCP: {decvax,seismo,cbosgd}!decuac!avolio       INET: avolio@decuac.DEC.COM

ins_akew@jhunix.UUCP (Montgomery Scott) (03/09/86)

>> And why did they replace Hunter with Shatner?  Was it supposed to be
>> that way all along?  Didn't they like Hunter?
> 	I believe the reason was that after the first pilot the
> show wasn't picked up immediately. A year later they were going
> to shoot another pilot, but Hunter turned down the role of Pike
> to play the lead in some type of cheese-whiz, sf-spy adventure.
> I don't remember the name of the movie, but the lead had a little
> time travel device so he could prevent assasinations and other fun
> stuff like that. It sure wasn't a great career choice for Hunter.

One other note of interest:
   NBC, before accepting Star Trek for broadcast put 2 conditions on
their acceptance:
         1)  get rid of the female first officer
         2)  get rid of the guy with the pointed ears

anich@puff.UUCP (Steve Anich) (03/10/86)

In article <847@decuac.UUCP>, avolio@decuac.UUCP (Frederick M. Avolio) writes:
> > > And why did they replace Hunter with Shatner? ...
> > 	I believe the reason was that after the first pilot the
> > show wasn't picked up immediately....but Hunter turned down the role of Pike
> > to play the lead in some type of cheese-whiz, sf-spy adventure....
>
> Well, yes... And then again there was the fact that Hunter was dead by
> that time having fallen down the stairs of his home, breaking his
> neck.

	I think if you check you will find that Hunter didn't die until
	1969.

			Steve Anich

tom@utcsri.UUCP (Tom Nadas) (03/10/86)

That's what I used to believe, until recently.  Somewhere (and as
soon as I remember where, I'll post a follow-up) I read an article
about Hunter's career with a rebuttal from his daughter (or some
similar relative).  The gist of the article was that he'd been
type-cast as Jesus/martyrs.  Anyway, the article claimed that he
demanded too much money to reprise Pike in the second pilot, considering
himself to be a bankable name in motion pictures.  Shatner, then,
was chosen because he worked cheap (my how times have changed).

Robert J. Sawyer
in Toronto
c/o
--

					Tom Nadas

UUCP:   {decvax,linus,ihnp4,uw-beaver,allegra,utzoo}!utcsri!tom
CSNET:  tom@toronto