[net.startrek] Number One from "The Cage" and others

jody@inuxd.UUCP (JoLinda Ross) (03/10/86)

> In article <231@bucsd.UUCP> sam@bucsd.UUCP (Shelli Meyers) writes:
> >Who was she?  Is it me or did she look remarkably like Nurse Chapel?
>
> Yep, you're right!  She is the same person.  Who else stayed on for the
> series and did anyone else get switched around to another character?
> And why did they replace Hunter with Shatner?  Was it supposed to be
> that way all along?  Didn't they like Hunter?
>
> --
>   Andy Toy, Mapping Analysis and Design Group (MAD),
>   Faculty of Environmental Studies, University of Waterloo,
>   Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA N2L 3G1   (519) 885-1211 x6592

 In a TV special shown to promote STIII (I don't remember the title),
Lenard Nimoy said that Hunter was replaced by Shatner because Hunter
had moved on to other commitments.  He seemed to suggest that the
delay between "The Cage" and the OK to start filming the series is
responsable for this.

 As for Number One switching rolls, that has to do with the network
dodo.  They did not like a woman with that much power, so Roddenbury
gave those powers to Spock. I guess you could say that Spocks roll
was switch too.
                                     jody

ags@pucc-h (Dave Seaman) (03/10/86)

In article <859@inuxd.UUCP> jody@inuxd.UUCP (JoLinda Ross) writes:
> As for Number One switching rolls, that has to do with the network
>dodo.  They did not like a woman with that much power, so Roddenbury
>gave those powers to Spock. I guess you could say that Spocks roll
>was switch too.

It was more than Number One's power that the "network dodo" objected to,
though that was part of it.  The network also felt that audiences would
not like a female who was so cold and unemotional.  Therefore these
personality traits were also given to Spock.  If you watch Spock in
the "Cage" portions of "Managerie" you will notice that he does display
emotions.
--
Dave Seaman	  					pur-ee!pucc-h!ags