[net.startrek] Spocks limp

timpson@comet2.DEC (IN THE HANDS OF THE FATHER) (03/10/86)

>Of course, all I have seen of the first ST episode are the brief clips supplied
>in the Menagerie episode.
>
>While watching it, my brother picked up that Spock is limping through most of
>it, with no mention of what happened to his leg. (not sure which leg it was)
>
>Does anyone know why he is limping?  It is obvious that he is, yet..

Yes Nemoy had a broken right leg when THE CAGE was filmed.

Did you also note that Spock Smiles in this episode also?

Steve

barb@oliven.UUCP (Barbara Jernigan) (03/12/86)

> Yes Nemoy had a broken right leg when THE CAGE was filmed.
>
> Did you also note that Spock Smiles in this episode also?
> Steve

Did you also note that Spock was a *Martian* in this episode?

THE CAGE is a first draft.  A lot has changed since then.

djb@rayssd.UUCP (Douglas J. Bonn, Esq.) (03/14/86)

(someone I don't know who writes)

timpson@comet2.DEC writes:
>Yes Nemoy had a broken right leg when THE CAGE was filmed.
>Steve

But that was not why *SPOCK* was limping, that was why *Leonard Nimoy* may
have been limping! Nimoy is a great actor and something like a broken leg
would not impair his performance like that. :-)  Seriously, though, don't
you remember the flashback scene with Captain Pike and Dr. Whats-his-name
where Pike was having a pity party for himself about the injuries sustained
by the landing party on Rigel IV(?)? Spock was one of the ones injured on that
mission. (The Keepers later exploit this event by making Pike think that he
is back there, with Vena the second time fighting for his life.) I don't
believe that Nimoy had a real broken leg at the time "The Cage" was filmed.

By the way, his name is spelled N_I_M_O_Y, not N_E_M_O_Y, you Klingon!
--
Douglas Bonn		 	...!allegra!		My opinions are *MY*
Raytheon Company	 	...!raybed2!rayssd!djb	opinions and are not

		All this `dying to self' is KILLING me!

timpson@donner.DEC (IN THE HANDS OF THE FATHER) (03/18/86)

(someone I don't know who writes)
>>>While watching it, my brother picked up that Spock is limping through most of
>>>it, with no mention of what happened to his leg. (not sure which leg it was)
>>>Does anyone know why he is limping?  It is obvious that he is, yet..

>>timpson@comet2.DEC writes:
>>Yes Nemoy had a broken right leg when THE CAGE was filmed.
>>Steve

>But that was not why *SPOCK* was limping, that was why *Leonard Nimoy* may
>have been limping! Nimoy is a great actor and something like a broken leg
>would not impair his performance like that. :-)  Seriously, though, don't
>you remember the flashback scene with Captain Pike and Dr. Whats-his-name
>where Pike was having a pity party for himself about the injuries sustained
>by the landing party on Rigel IV(?)? Spock was one of the ones injured on that
>mission. (The Keepers later exploit this event by making Pike think that he
>is back there, with Vena the second time fighting for his life.) I don't
>believe that Nimoy had a real broken leg at the time "The Cage" was filmed.

A broken leg was exactly wy Spock was limping it just happened to be
conveniant to the story at hand.  This fact came out sometime after
StarTrek was cancelled, in and interview or I read it somewhere.
You say you don't believe it.  WHY???

Steve