[net.startrek] Another ? Re The Cage &/or Menagerie

dave@andromeda.UUCP (Dave Bloom) (03/11/86)

<>
One question that always stuck in my mind is this:

	At the end of "Menagerie" we see Pike and his polymorph woman
	heading into the cave and waving. When was this scene filmed?
	It can't be a part of "The Cage".... Pike returns to the ship.
	(Doesn't he?)

	Was the scene filmed afterward, was it intended as a promotion,
	was it a blooper, or did it actually appear in the pilot???

      allegra\					       Dave Bloom
      harvard \ pyramid\
       seismo  \  pyrnj >!andromeda!dave         HOME: (201) 868-1764
     ut-sally   >!topaz/			 WORK: (201) 648-5083
       sri-iu  /
ihnp4!packard /		           "You're never alone with a schizophrenic...."

showard@udenva.UUCP (Mr. Blore) (03/13/86)

In article <125@andromeda.UUCP> dave@andromeda.UUCP (Dave Bloom) writes:

>	At the end of "Menagerie" we see Pike and his polymorph woman
>	heading into the cave and waving. When was this scene filmed?
>	It can't be a part of "The Cage".... Pike returns to the ship.
>	(Doesn't he?)
>
>	Was the scene filmed afterward, was it intended as a promotion,
>	was it a blooper, or did it actually appear in the pilot???

  At the end of "The Cage" the Talosians (I think that's who they were--the
big-head guys) release Pike because he's too independent to remain in captiv-
ity.  The woman can't leave because she's really a twisted-up old crone. The
big-head guys create an illusion of Pike to accompany the woman back to the
cave, proving that they're not such bad eggs after all.

"Study, study, study or 'bonk, bonk' bad kids!"--finals week quote from "Miri"
--
Mr. Blore, the DJ who would not die
                      {hplabs, seismo}!hao!udenva!showard

sma8465@ritcv.UUCP (Mad Wabbit) (03/14/86)

In article <125@andromeda.UUCP> dave@andromeda.UUCP (Dave Bloom) writes:
><>
>One question that always stuck in my mind is this:
>
>	At the end of "Menagerie" we see Pike and his polymorph woman
>	heading into the cave and waving. When was this scene filmed?
>	It can't be a part of "The Cage".... Pike returns to the ship.
>	(Doesn't he?)
>
>	Was the scene filmed afterward, was it intended as a promotion,
>	was it a blooper, or did it actually appear in the pilot???
>--

     That scene was part of the original pilot.  It was just confusing
to see out of context.  It was originally ment to show Pike that the girl
would not be alone and would have more than her memories of him.
     But in "The Menagerie" (so it's spelled wrong), that scene was shown
to tell Kirk either a) That the girl was ok after Pike left, or that
b)  Pike would be happy down there.  It depends on how you view it.

Steve Abbott
(c) Mad Wabbit Software Inc.

perl@rdin.UUCP (Robert Perlberg) (03/23/86)

When Pike asks, "Will you give her back her illusion of beauty?", the
keeper says, "That, and more.", but never explains (in "The Menagerie")
what he meant by "more".  In "The Cage", the "more" is the illusion
that Pike is still with her, and she goes back inside with her illusion
of Pike to live happily ever after.

Robert Perlberg
Resource Dynamics Inc.
New York