[net.startrek] More questions . . . Kirk vs Spock

ginger@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ginger Grover) (03/12/86)

*** Raid ***

> *	    "This.  Simple feeling.  It's beyond Vejur's comprehension."

I read somewhere that a certain group of Star Trek fans like to believe
that Kirk and Spock have a homosexual relationship, and that lines such
as the one above (which was accompanied by Spock touching Kirk) are
"grist for the mill".  How can they believe this in the face of Kirk's
many romances with women?  Do they assume Kirk is a "switch-hitter"?

And another thing:  I personally have never thought much of Shatner as a
romantic lead, especially while he's incarnated as Kirk.  In fact, his
"drop-dead" kissing antics got tiresome early on; "tingle-tongue" indeed!
It got to be just another plot gimmick:  Kirk pops a novacaine-Certs,
struts into the enemy's parlour and keeps her non compos mentis with
his love-making, while giving Spock time to solve the problem-of-the-week.

In my opinion, Nimoy has much greater potential as a romantic lead, and
it isn't just the Spock character and "those exquisite ears"- he has a
terrific voice.  I expect some other lady-trekkers out there know what
I mean:  How many of you preferred to focus on Spock, and found Kirk's
swaggering and amorous adventures merely distracting and/or an annoying
reminder of the writers' ill-informed idea of what women find attractive?

	    | "Is there some significance to this action?" |

		    ihnp4!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!ginger

 No, no Jim, *that's* your phaser, THIS is your communicator.
 Yes, they do look rather alike . . .  No, never mind, he was
 just a red-shirt anyway.

mcewan@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (03/17/86)

>> *	    "This.  Simple feeling.  It's beyond Vejur's comprehension."
>
> I read somewhere that a certain group of Star Trek fans like to believe
> that Kirk and Spock have a homosexual relationship, and that lines such
> as the one above (which was accompanied by Spock touching Kirk) are
> "grist for the mill".  How can they believe this in the face of Kirk's
> many romances with women?  Do they assume Kirk is a "switch-hitter"?

Well, I've heard it claimed that many promiscuous men are actually repressed
homosexuals. More grist for the mill.

			Scott McEwan
			{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!mcewan

"I'm sorry, sir. According to your identification you're not even born
 yet. Come back in 500 years."

ph@wucec2.UUCP (03/21/86)

In article <627@ssc-vax.UUCP> ginger@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ginger Grover) writes:
>I read somewhere that a certain group of Star Trek fans like to believe
>that Kirk and Spock have a homosexual relationship, and that lines such
>as the one above (which was accompanied by Spock touching Kirk) are
>"grist for the mill".  How can they believe this in the face of Kirk's
>many romances with women?  Do they assume Kirk is a "switch-hitter"?

	    That, again, is dealt with in THE WORLD OF STAR TREK.  No
	less an authority than the Great Bird Himself (see STAR TREK:
	THE MOTION PICTURE--A NOVEL) has firmly denied it.  Of course
	that doesn't even slow the K/S ladies down.

						--pH
/*
 *	    "This simple feeling is beyond Vejur's comprehension."
 */

avolio@decuac.UUCP (Frederick M. Avolio) (03/22/86)

> > I read somewhere that a certain group of Star Trek fans like to believe
> > that Kirk and Spock have a homosexual relationship, and that lines such
>
> Well, I've heard it claimed that many promiscuous men are actually repressed
> homosexuals. More grist for the mill.

Really...  There are many unfortunate people who cannot conceive of
deep, close relationships without there being a sexual aspect.
Cannot imagine them and, worse for them, have never had them.  As
there has been speculation about Kirk and Spock, there has been about
Holmes and Watson.  (And, I guess, about Cagney and Lacey -- US TV
show about 2 female detectives.)  In any case, there is no basis for
such speculation.
--
Fred @ DEC Ultrix Applications Center
UUCP: {decvax,seismo,cbosgd}!decuac!avolio       INET: avolio@decuac.DEC.COM

spock@hope.UUCP (Chris Ambler) (03/26/86)

 In article <627@ssc-vax.UUCP> ginger@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ginger Grover) writes:
 >I read somewhere that a certain group of Star Trek fans like to believe
 >that Kirk and Spock have a homosexual relationship, and that lines such
 >as the one above (which was accompanied by Spock touching Kirk) are
 >"grist for the mill".  How can they believe this in the face of Kirk's
 >many romances with women?  Do they assume Kirk is a "switch-hitter"?

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR SPOILER ***

Sorry to disillusion all of you, but if any of you have read a fanzyne
called "The Sensuous Vulcan," there *ARE* homosexual Kirk/Spock encounters.
Of course, Gene R. would strictly deny these! I, personally, believe in
the hereosexuality of the situation, but the stories /are/ interesting!!

-Spock!  (Christopher J. Ambler, University of California, Riverside)
         -"Captain, I see no reason to bother Starfleet..."