[net.startrek] The Spores...A Medical Breakthrough

showard@udenva.UUCP (Mr. Blore) (03/23/86)

In article <24900129@uiucdcs> mcewan@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU writes:

>One of the things that always bothered me about Star Trek is that they
>discovered many such useful things  (a drink that makes people move faster
>than light, a way to turn people into VERY powerful telekinetics) which
>are completely ignored once the story is over. If they kept all this stuff
>they would have had a ship full of superheroes.

 Didn't these thing usually have pretty major limitations and/or side-effects?
The super-speed potion drinker would have to be very careful to avoid cutting
himself, and the telekinesis-producing substance was only found on one planet.

 I don't think the original idea in this discussion (using the spores as a
generic curative) is very viable.  How do you keep the person who's supposed
to start the fight from accidentally getting "spored" himself?

"This is a dog license with the word 'dog' crossed out and 'cat' written in
in crayon"
"The man didn't have the right form."
--
Mr. Blore, the DJ who would not die
                      {hplabs, seismo}!hao!udenva!showard

drew@ukma.UUCP (Andrew Lawson) (03/26/86)

In article <1247@udenva.UUCP> showard@udenva.UUCP (Mr. Blore) writes:
>and the telekinesis-producing substance was only found on one planet.

Actually, (not to start another super intelligent debate :-)  )
the substance was only known to be in abundance on that planet.
Although it was rare elsewhere, it was common enough for Bones to
recognize it and know how the body processed it.

--
Drew Lawson
					cbosgd!ukma!drew