[net.startrek] The Managerie

timpson@donner.DEC (IN THE HANDS OF THE FATHER) (03/13/86)

>One question that always stuck in my mind is this:
>
>	At the end of "Menagerie" we see Pike and his polymorph woman
>	heading into the cave and waving. When was this scene filmed?
>	It can't be a part of "The Cage".... Pike returns to the ship.
>	(Doesn't he?)
>
>	Was the scene filmed afterward, was it intended as a promotion,
>	was it a blooper, or did it actually appear in the pilot???

The scene was filmed for THE MENAGERIE not for THE CAGE.  If you will notice
they don't let you see Pike's face clearly and you can also tell it is
somebody else if you look close.

Steve

ee178ado@sdcc7.UUCP (BRUCE BINDER) (03/14/86)

> >	At the end of "Menagerie" we see Pike and his polymorph woman
> >	heading into the cave and waving. When was this scene filmed?
>
> The scene was filmed for THE MENAGERIE not for THE CAGE.  If you will notice
> they don't let you see Pike's face clearly and you can also tell it is
> somebody else if you look close.

When I saw The Cage (B/W version at a talk by Gene R.) it had that
scene at the end.  It turned out that the woman couldn't leave the
planet so the Big-heads gave her an illusion of Pike.
				Bruce Binder

tom@utcsri.UUCP (Tom Nadas) (03/17/86)

Wrong-o, Steve.  You see Pike's face quite clearly in that final scene
because it IS Jeffrey Hunter.  The scence was shot for THE CAGE, not
THE MENAGERIE.  The original ending of THE CAGE is this;

	PIKE:  You'll give her back her illusion of beauty.
	KEEPER:  And more.

They lock to the rocky knoll and see VINA with an illusion of PIKE.  The
KEEPER smiles.

The "and more" line actually made sense in the original version.

My source for this is James Blish's introduction to his adaptation
of THE MENAGERIE.

(Should have been a full colon and look instead of lock above, but I
don't have full-screen editing on this terminal.)

Robert J. Sawyer
in Toronto
c/o
--

					Tom Nadas

UUCP:   {decvax,linus,ihnp4,uw-beaver,allegra,utzoo}!utcsri!tom
CSNET:  tom@toronto

jeanette@randvax.UUCP (Jeanette Haritan) (03/18/86)

In article <294@sdcc7.UUCP> ee178ado@sdcc7.UUCP (BRUCE BINDER) writes:
>> >	At the end of "Menagerie" we see Pike and his polymorph woman
>> >	heading into the cave and waving. When was this scene filmed?
>>
>> The scene was filmed for THE MENAGERIE not for THE CAGE.  If you will notice
>> they don't let you see Pike's face clearly and you can also tell it is
>> somebody else if you look close.
>
>When I saw The Cage (B/W version at a talk by Gene R.) it had that
>scene at the end.  It turned out that the woman couldn't leave the
>planet so the Big-heads gave her an illusion of Pike.

Yes, but I was under the impression that in MENAGERIE it actually WAS
Pike waving.  If you remember, he was quite deformed during the trial
scenes.  Perhaps he was magically (or quietly) transported to the planet
by the big heads.  If you also remember, the big heads spoke from the film
to the people in the courtroom after the waving scene, so the idea that
it really WAS Pike was highly probably (in my opinion).

--
jeannette haritan

yeah sure

elb@mtx5d.UUCP (03/18/86)

> [discussion of final scene in the Menagerie with Vina AND Pike]
>
> The scene was filmed for THE MENAGERIE not for THE CAGE.  If you will notice
> they don't let you see Pike's face clearly and you can also tell it is
> somebody else if you look close.
>
> Steve

Sorry Steve but,

I believe if you read the Blish novelization you will see that the
original story (which he uses as the basis of his version) ends with
the Talosians giving Vina back her beauty *AND* giving her a copy of
Pike.  This is the motivation behind the Keeper-Pike exchange

Pike: Will you give her back her illusion of beauty?
Keeper:  And *more* !

The "More" makes no sense if you say this scene was filmed for
The Menagerie.

Am I missing some hard evidence of another viewpoint?

Ellen Bart

frodo@wcom.UUCP (Jim Scardelis) (03/19/86)

> My source for this is James Blish's introduction to his adaptation
> of THE MENAGERIE.

	You are absolutely right...I remember it from when I saw 'The Cage'
when Gene Roddenberry visited a local college 10 years ago.
--
					Jim Scardelis, SA
					{hjuxa,ihnp4}!wcom!frodo

#include <favorite disclaimer>

daemon@houligan.UUCP (03/26/86)

>    >
>    >	At the end of "Menagerie" we see Pike and his polymorph woman
>    >	heading into the cave and waving. When was this scene filmed?
>    >	It can't be a part of "The Cage".... Pike returns to the ship.
>    >	(Doesn't he?)
>    >
>    >	Was the scene filmed afterward, was it intended as a promotion,
>    >	was it a blooper, or did it actually appear in the pilot???
>

>    The scene was filmed for THE MENAGERIE not for THE CAGE.  If you will notice
>    they don't let you see Pike's face clearly and you can also tell it is
>    somebody else if you look close.
>
>    Steve

Wrong.  I have seen THE CAGE and at the end, the Bloated-Brain-Beings create
an illusion of Pike to make the Girl(Hag) happy-ever-after.