[net.startrek] Star Trek IV synopsis -- postdate

DVL@PSUVM.BITNET (03/10/86)

Mail has been coming in from all over requesting the synopsis, so I thought
that I'd update you as to its posting.  I have forwarded all the mail to
Paul and am awaiting his E-mail response, which will contain the script
synopsis.  I should be posting it withing the next ten days or so.

Alvin T. Lee
(default secretary to Paul Durazzo)

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (03/13/86)

It would be a nice touch if one of the "other" Federation starships
just happened to be named Challenger ...

   Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX  ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf   CIS:70715,131
   Author of Professional-YAM communications Tools for PCDOS and Unix
 Omen Technology Inc     17505-V NW Sauvie Island Road Portland OR 97231
Voice: 503-621-3406 TeleGodzilla: 621-3746 300/1200 L.sys entry for omen:
omen Any ACU 1200 1-503-621-3746 se:--se: link ord: Giznoid in:--in: uucp
omen!/usr/spool/uucppublic/FILES lists all uucp-able files, updated hourly

krelos@unirot.UUCP (Bill Simpson) (03/17/86)

ok... the latest news of ST IV  (Gotten from Robin Curtis and others at
CreationCon Oakland last week:

 1) Ship used for most of the movie will be the Klingon Bird-of-prey.
 2) About 70-80% of the movie takes place in 1980's San Francisco, Ca.
           (Shooting being done in April/May).
 3) Release date is Christmas 1986
 4) ILM is ALREADY producing the special effects.
 5) Saavik is not in most of it.
 6) A nuclear aircraft carrier figures somewhat prominently.
 7)The title (at present):Star Trek IV-The Voyage Home

That's about what I have.... anyone else have anything to add???

                             krelos
                                 (Tarot Inc.)

anich@puff.UUCP (Steve Anich) (03/18/86)

In article <389@unirot.UUCP>, krelos@unirot.UUCP (Bill Simpson) writes:
>  1) Ship used for most of the movie will be the Klingon Bird-of-prey.
>  2) About 70-80% of the movie takes place in 1980's San Francisco, Ca.
>            (Shooting being done in April/May).
>  3) Release date is Christmas 1986
>  4) ILM is ALREADY producing the special effects.
>  5) Saavik is not in most of it.
>  6) A nuclear aircraft carrier figures somewhat prominently.
>  7)The title (at present):Star Trek IV-The Voyage Home

   I was reading a short article about cross-over appeal movies.
   The name Eddie Murphy was mentioned as being in STIV. Does anyone
   know any thing about this?

				steve anich

spock@hope.UUCP (Chris Ambler) (03/19/86)

> ok... the latest news of ST IV  (Gotten from Robin Curtis and others at
> CreationCon Oakland last week:

   (add previous letter here for brevity)

>                              krelos
>                                  (Tarot Inc.)

*** DESTROY THIS LINE WITH YOUR TORPEDOES ***

Where is this all coming from?! Last time (ST.III) there were *NO* leaks
whatsoever...the actors were not allowed to say ANYTHING!!
Actually, though, I suppose we all have our sources, point in case,
TIMECON convention in '85 I got some GOOD stuff, all outdated now, though.

What's this about 1980's though? Are we looking at time travel here?
I heard rumours about the Excelsior being used for whiplash effects.

|-Spock!  (Christopher J. Ambler, University of California, Riverside)|
|               ...ucbvax!ucdavis!ucrmath!hope!spock                  |
|         -"Captain, I see no reason to bother Starfleet..."          |

merlin@hope.UUCP (Mike Sullivan) (03/19/86)

> > ok... the latest news of ST IV  (Gotten from Robin Curtis and others at
> > CreationCon Oakland last week:
> >
>    (add previous letter here for brevity)
>
> >                              krelos
> >                                  (Tarot Inc.)
>
> *** DESTROY THIS LINE WITH YOUR TORPEDOES ***
>
> Where is this all coming from?! Last time (ST.III) there were *NO* leaks
> whatsoever...the actors were not allowed to say ANYTHING!!
> Actually, though, I suppose we all have our sources, point in case,
> TIMECON convention in '85 I got some GOOD stuff, all outdated now, though.
>
> What's this about 1980's though? Are we looking at time travel here?
> I heard rumours about the Excelsior being used for whiplash effects.

> |-Spock!  (Christopher J. Ambler, University of California, Riverside)|
> |                                                                     |
> |               ...ucbvax!ucdavis!ucrmath!hope!spock                  |
> |                                                                     |
> |         -"Captain, I see no reason to bother Starfleet..."          |

Personally, I hope the Excelsior is not in ST IV.
Beached whales do not make good starships.

Wizard Extraordinaire,
   Merlin

   "Our Clients are INSANE!"

spock@hope.UUCP (Chris Ambler) (03/19/86)

> > What's this about 1980's though? Are we looking at time travel here?
> > I heard rumours about the Excelsior being used for whiplash effects.
> >
> > |-Spock!  (Christopher J. Ambler, University of California, Riverside)|
>

> Personally, I hope the Excelsior is not in ST IV.
> Beached whales do not make good starships.
>

> Wizard Extraordinaire,
>    Merlin

What'dya mean!! THe Excelsior has to be the GREATEST achievement since
the warp drive and Fruit Loops! The UFP/SF engineers really outdid themselves
on that one! Beached whale or not, it's a *GREAT* ship!

(I can smell the flames...)

|-Spock!  (Christopher J. Ambler, University of California, Riverside)|
|               ...ucbvax!ucdavis!ucrmath!hope!spock                  |
|         -"Captain, I see no reason to bother Starfleet..."          |

steven@haddock (03/19/86)

 Murphy, who is under contract to Paramount Pictures, has frequently
 been mentioned as possibly having a cameo role in "Star Trek IV".
 Currently, Murphy is in the third week of shooting for "Golden Child",
 like "Star Trek IV" a Christmas release from Paramount. It still seems
 possible he could make an appearance.

 Catherine Hicks ("The Razor's Edge" and "Fever Pitch") is also in the
 cast list for "Star Trek IV". What is her role??

spock@hope.UUCP (Chris Ambler) (03/21/86)

>    I was reading a short article about cross-over appeal movies.
>    The name Eddie Murphy was mentioned as being in STIV. Does anyone
>    know any thing about this?
>
> 				steve anich

Eddie Murphy expressed an interest, the fans revolted (remember Gary Coleman in
Buck Rogers, or Pryor in Superman??!).
Murphy is going to just have a role as an extra.

-Spock (Christopher J. Ambler @ University of California, Riverside)

In article <389@unirot.UUCP> krelos@unirot.UUCP (Bill Simpson) writes:

> 1) Ship used for most of the movie will be the Klingon Bird-of-prey.
> 2) About 70-80% of the movie takes place in 1980's San Francisco, Ca.
>           (Shooting being done in April/May).
> 3) Release date is Christmas 1986
> 4) ILM is ALREADY producing the special effects.
> 5) Saavik is not in most of it.
> 6) A nuclear aircraft carrier figures somewhat prominently.
> 7)The title (at present):Star Trek IV-The Voyage Home
>
>That's about what I have.... anyone else have anything to add???

	Well, I heard that it was just an 'ordinary' CVA not a nuclear
carrier(I believe it is supposed to be the USS Sarratoga). The scenes
in question were actually filmed aboard a real US aircraft carrier,
which was stationed in San Diego at the time. The scenes in SF are
being filmed on location. Otherwise this corresponds with my
information here in LA.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

ARPA: ttidca!psivax!friesen@rand-unix.arpa

In article <715@puff.UUCP> anich@puff.UUCP writes:

>   I was reading a short article about cross-over appeal movies.
>   The name Eddie Murphy was mentioned as being in STIV. Does anyone
>   know any thing about this?

	This rumour has been batting around for some time, as near as
I can tell it is completely groundless. Eddie Murphy is *not* going to
be in the film.
--

ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (03/25/86)

In article <1074@psivax.UUCP> friesen@psivax.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) writes:
>In article <389@unirot.UUCP> krelos@unirot.UUCP (Bill Simpson) writes:
>> 6) A nuclear aircraft carrier figures somewhat prominently.
>	Well, I heard that it was just an 'ordinary' CVA not a nuclear
>carrier(I believe it is supposed to be the USS Sarratoga). The scenes
>in question were actually filmed aboard a real US aircraft carrier,
>which was stationed in San Diego at the time.

Shouldn't they at least claim (in the movie, they'll use anything they can get
for the actual filming) that it's the carrier USS Enterprise, just to give
Kirk a lump in the throat and/or give him command of the ship via a contrived
plot device?
--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.

Internet: ralphw@c.cs.cmu.edu (cmu-cs-c.arpa)	Usenet: ralphw@mit-eddie.uucp
Fido: Ralph Hyre at Net 129, Node 0 (Pitt-Bull) Phone: (412)CMU-BUGS

knudsen@ihwpt.UUCP (mike knudsen) (03/26/86)

> In article <389@unirot.UUCP>, krelos@unirot.UUCP (Bill Simpson) writes:
> >  1) Ship used for most of the movie will be the Klingon Bird-of-prey.
> >  2) About 70-80% of the movie takes place in 1980's San Francisco, Ca.
> >            (Shooting being done in April/May).

Just what we needed, another movie filmed in California!  Aliens
monitoring our movies must think the other 99% of Earth is oceans.

> >  3) Release date is Christmas 1986
> >  4) ILM is ALREADY producing the special effects.
> >  5) Saavik is not in most of it.

Good!!

> >  6) A nuclear aircraft carrier figures somewhat prominently.
	   	  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
NOW I get it!  That's the same carrier that sailed thru a
time-warp tunnel from 1980+ back to 1941 in "The Final COuntdown".
Kirk will get the skipper to show him the charts, blast the
BIrd of Prey thru the same time-storm, and get back to 2300
or whenever, maybe in time (!) to stop the Klingons from
stealing Genesis, thus aborting all the wretched events
of ST:TSFS.
He'll return to Starbase with a healthy Spock, an intact
Enterprise, and a bonus Klingon scout ship (hey Abdul, want
a three-day pass?)