[net.startrek] The Enemy Within

rjnoe@ihlts.UUCP (Roger Noe @ N41:48.5, W88:07.2) (02/16/84)

>>	Sulu and some others are on a planet on which the
>> temperature is dropping and the transporter is out (I think this is the
>> episode where Kirk is split/duplicated).  The problem they face is how
>> to get Sulu and party off the planet before they freeze to death.  The
>> obvious sollution is to send a shuttle down for them.  The Enterprise
>> seems to carry several but there is no mention of them.  Not even a "if
>> only the shuttle was working".  The writer of that script seems never
>> to have heard of shuttles.

Of *course* the writer hadn't heard of shuttles!  "The Enemy Within" was
made well before the idea was added to Star Trek.

>>	Another option not considered was using the
>> ships phasers.  Sulu uses up his phaser warming rocks which they huddle
>> around.  The ships phasers could be used to heat an area up-wind giving
>> at least some relief from the cold.  Feats of greater precision were
>> done with the phasers on other shows.  Also why didn't Sulu use his
>> phaser to hollow out a cave as was done on other shows.

Changing the weather of a planet with which one is not very familiar would
probably be a VERY tricky business.  Warming up a rock or two is something
different.  We also have no indication that ship's phasers have a "heat"
setting, as do hand phasers.  Hand phasers are clearly not powerful enough
to hollow a cave out of rock.  Remember the "laser cannon" in "The Cage"?
It used ship's power while on the planet but only did a small job of
blasting away rock, just barely enough for a small cave for a few people.
--
	Roger Noe		ihnp4!ihlts!rjnoe

jlilien@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Joel Lilienkamp) (02/22/84)

As I recall from the Cage/Menagerie, the Ship Powered Laser Canon blew
a rather large hole in the rock.  It was only those beasts on the planet
that made them think there was no hole there.  Once they figured that
out, they could see the hole, and went in.

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (05/23/85)

>From: djb9244@acf4.UUCP (>* david birnbaum *<)
>Subject: Re: The doors(again)
>
>When captain kirk was separated into 2 different people because of
>a transporter malfunction there was a landing crew stuck on the
>planet below.  At night the temperature was close to absolute value
>and there were in danger of freezing to death. Why couldn't they
>just send a shuttle craft????

It looked like a pretty rocky area to me- not exactly the place to land a
24-foot shuttlecraft loaded with medical supplies.

My guess is that the nearest clear landing spot would have required a long
overland trek to reach the landing party. This, of course, assumes that a
shuttlecraft cannot function like a helicopter.

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

cjbiggin@watmath.UUCP (Colin Biggin) (05/29/85)

In article <313@moncol.UUCP> john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) writes:

>>When captain kirk was separated into 2 different people because of
>>a transporter malfunction there was a landing crew stuck on the
>>planet below.  At night the temperature was close to absolute value
>>and there were in danger of freezing to death. Why couldn't they
>>just send a shuttle craft????

I've always wondered about this myself.  The only explanation that
I can think of is that 'The Enemy Within' was one of the earlier
episodes so the shuttlecraft were not yet a part of the show.
However, a couple of episodes later one did appear in 'The Galileo
Seven' (I would hope it did appear).

To continue on about what they could have done to help Sulu and
the others on the planet:  Why didn't they send down a lot of
blankets.  It wouldn't matter if they duplicate... (the transporter
duplicating things...  my god, haven't I seen that discussion
somewhere before??)

Or, why didn't they send down a couple of cases of Saurian brandy...
I'm sure that would have gotten them through the night.  ;-)

					jokingly yours,
--

					Colin Biggin
                                        Univperversity of Wonderloo

"They were the best of times, they were the worst of times.
 No, I think they were probably the New York Times."

edward@ukma.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) (05/30/85)

In article <14703@watmath.UUCP>, cjbiggin@watmath.UUCP (Colin Biggin) writes:
> In article <313@moncol.UUCP> john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) writes:
> >>
> >>When captain kirk was separated into 2 different people because of
> >>a transporter malfunction there was a landing crew stuck on the
> >>planet below.  At night the temperature was close to absolute value
> >>and there were in danger of freezing to death. Why couldn't they
> >>just send a shuttle craft????
> >>

> I've always wondered about this myself.  The only explanation that
> I can think of is that 'The Enemy Within' was one of the earlier
> episodes so the shuttlecraft were not yet a part of the show.
> However, a couple of episodes later one did appear in 'The Galileo
> Seven' (I would hope it did appear).
>
> 					Colin Biggin

	Because if they sent down a shuttlecraft, the problem
would have been solved. The script writers needed some sort of
impending disaster.

--
edward
		 {ucbvax,unmvax,boulder,research}!anlams! -|
  |     \  _
   \___/ \=	Support barrier free design

	"Well, what's on the television then?"
	"Looks like a penguin."

nessus@nsc.UUCP (Kchula-Rrit) (06/08/85)

> In article <313@moncol.UUCP> john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) writes:
> >>
> >>When captain kirk was separated into 2 different people because of
> >>a transporter malfunction there was a landing crew stuck on the
> >>planet below.  At night the temperature was close to absolute value
> >>and there were in danger of freezing to death. Why couldn't they
> >>just send a shuttle craft????
> >>

> I've always wondered about this myself.  The only explanation that
> I can think of is that 'The Enemy Within' was one of the earlier
> episodes so the shuttlecraft were not yet a part of the show.
> However, a couple of episodes later one did appear in 'The Galileo
> Seven' (I would hope it did appear).
>
> To continue on about what they could have done to help Sulu and
> the others on the planet:  Why didn't they send down a lot of
> blankets.  It wouldn't matter if they duplicate... (the transporter
> duplicating things...  my god, haven't I seen that discussion
> somewhere before??)
>
> Or, why didn't they send down a couple of cases of Saurian brandy...
> I'm sure that would have gotten them through the night.  ;-)
>
> 					jokingly yours,
> --
> 					Colin Biggin
>                                         Univperversity of Wonderloo

     But then, the "bad" blankets might make Sulu and company colder *faster*,
and they may not be able to distinguish between the two types except by
testing...

     As to why no shuttle craft was sent, my theories.

	0.  Mr. Sulu had the shuttle craft keys.
	1.  The battery was dead and they left the jumper cables were left
	    back at the Star-base.

     I think the idea about shuttle craft not being part of the series yet is
the plausable.

				Kchula-Rrit

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (06/09/85)

Seems to me the shuttlecraft is only used to get INTO troube, not out of
trouble.  Recent articles about Space 1999 and some other dead series
suggest that series is hurt when there is an easy out to difficult situations.

Just think how much less dramatic TWOK would have been if Kirk or Spock
had had the presence of mind to transport the Genesis machine to deep space,
wide dispersion as they did with NOMAD.  Better yet, they could have grabbed
Genesis back before Kahn could have activated it.

--
        Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX       ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Omen Technology Inc     17505-V NW Sauvie Island Road Portland OR 97231

chrisa@azure.UUCP (Chris Andersen) (06/11/85)

>      As to why no shuttle craft was sent, my theories.
>
> 	0.  Mr. Sulu had the shuttle craft keys.
> 	1.  The battery was dead and they left the jumper cables were left
> 	    back at the Star-base.
>
>      I think the idea about shuttle craft not being part of the series yet is
> the plausable.
>
> 				Kchula-Rrit

	Has anyone given thought to the weather?  After all, it was blowing
pretty hard down there.

rcook@uiucuxc.Uiuc.ARPA (08/27/85)

I'm not going to give the usual excuse: "I'm sure this has been discussed
on the net before, but....", but I just need to know.

Episode: The Enemy Within
Problem: Did the mean Kirk and the good Kirk have scratches on the opposite
sides of their faces? Now this wouldn't be much of a problem, except that the
scratches were on one side of the good Kirk and then on the other side when
the two Kirks combined.

Question: Did I miss something, was I hallucinating (I had been drinking and
doing other recreational 'things'), or was it a continuity problem?

	 Rob Cook

UUCP:	 {ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!rcook

      'Life is just a cocktail party on the street'
			-Mick Jagger-

rjnoe@riccb.UUCP (Roger J. Noe) (08/29/85)

> Episode: The Enemy Within
> Problem: Did the mean Kirk and the good Kirk have scratches on the opposite
> sides of their faces? Now this wouldn't be much of a problem, except that the
> scratches were on one side of the good Kirk and then on the other side when
> the two Kirks combined.
> 	 Rob Cook

There was a lot of flipping of film (left-right) in The Enemy Within to make
the "evil" Kirk appear rather undefinably "different" than the "good" Kirk.
They apparently didn't worry too much about which side the scratches ended
up on.  Big mistake.
--
	Roger Noe			ihnp4!ihopa!riccb!rjnoe

tim@ur-cvsvax.UUCP (Tim Takahashi) (03/27/86)

> 	In "The Best of Trek #5", eds. Irwin & Love, there is an attempt to
> answer the question "Why wasn't the shuttlecraft used to get Sulu and the
> others off the planet?"

  More likely answer : "The shuttlecraft hadn't been invented until
   the "Galileo 7" was written."

   Tim Takahashi

corwin@hope.UUCP (John Kempf) (03/29/86)

> 	In "The Best of Trek #5", eds. Irwin & Love, there is an attempt to
> answer the question "Why wasn't the shuttlecraft used to get Sulu and the
> others off the planet?"
>
> Answer: The upper-air turbulence of the storms on the icy planet was so
> strong that a shuttlecraft would have been risking destruction to venture
> into it. As it would have been foolish to almost certainly lose more lives in
> a futile attempt to rescue Sulu and Co. in that way, Kirk and Spock did not
> even consider it.

I have always wondered about that one.  The answer is rather falacious.
a shuttle craft has a reasonable amount of fuel.  Are they trying to
say that there was upper air turbulance over the *entire* planet?  Including
the poles?  Besides, shuttle craft do have some deflector screens.
-cory

spock@hope.UUCP (Chris Ambler) (03/29/86)

> > 	In "The Best of Trek #5", eds. Irwin & Love, there is an attempt to
> > answer the question "Why wasn't the shuttlecraft used to get Sulu and the
> > others off the planet?"
> >
> > Answer: The upper-air turbulence of the storms on the icy planet was so
> > strong that a shuttlecraft would have been risking destruction to venture
> > into it. As it would have been foolish to almost certainly lose more lives.

> I have always wondered about that one.  The answer is rather falacious.
> a shuttle craft has a reasonable amount of fuel.  Are they trying to
> say that there was upper air turbulance over the *entire* planet?  Including
> the poles?  Besides, shuttle craft do have some deflector screens.

Sure, they have deflector screens, and then the turbulance would boff the
screens around which would boff the shuttlecraft in turn. The only explanation
*I* can forward is that the turbulance was as low as the mountain peaks, and
a shuttlecraft stood a chance of being blown into a mountain. Weak, but...

-Spock!  (Christopher J. Ambler, University of California, Riverside)
         -"Captain, I see no reason to bother Starfleet..."

ccrdave@ucdavis.UUCP (Lord Kahless @ Imperial Propoganda) (03/29/86)

> I have always wondered about that one.  The answer is rather falacious.
> a shuttle craft has a reasonable amount of fuel.  Are they trying to
> say that there was upper air turbulance over the *entire* planet?  Including
> the poles?  Besides, shuttle craft do have some deflector screens.
> -cory

As near as I understood it, the situation was that the transporters
weren't safe for human use, but DID function.  Why didn't the big E
just beam down parkas, down filled sleeping bags, a thermo-concrete
shelter, 50 hand phasers to keep all the rocks red hot, a Bar-B-que,
etc, etc, etc.

Also, if the shuttle craft couldn't land, how come he couldn't at
least air drop parkas, etc.

Either Captain Kirk was too slow on the uptake or he didn't give a
damn about his men.

				Kahless tai-Hazar