[net.startrek] A Private Little War

elb@mtx5d.UUCP (Ellen Bart) (12/16/85)

Okay, I am willing to accept the consensus of the net.

I have had a long-standing arguement with my brother about
the ending to a private little war.  I maintain that Kirk in
the end realizes that flintlocks would be a horrible escalation
to an already bad situation, recovers from Nona's spell since
she is dead, and reverses (fails to confirm) his order to
Scotty about the flintlocks.  (evidence in my favor includes
the fact that Kirk sighs, says "serpents, Scotty, serpents for
the Garden of Eden.  Beam us up." and does not restate the order
and the fact that McCoy has been arguing against the flintlocks
and Kirk has only overruled him while under Nona's spell)

My brother, however, says I am a naive romantic and that of
course Tyree gets the flintlocks despite McCoy, the Prime
Directive, and the influence of the spell.

Okay.  You vote.

ihnp4!mtx5d!elb

Ellen Bart
Middletown NJ MT2C512

friedman@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (12/27/85)

Re. Ellen Bart's argument with her brother over A Private Little War:

Ellen, I'm afraid I have to agree with your brother when he says you're
a naive romantic.  :-)

The Prime Directive no longer applies; the Klingon interference can
only be countered as Kirk has argued.  Since the culture has already
been disturbed, the closest one can come to the spirit of the P.D. is
to try to patch things up for the closest possible scenario to the
original culture.  I can't think of anything better than Kirk's
decision (can you?).  It certainly won't do to let the town people,
with their imported flintlock technology, destroy the hill people
(and, not so incidentally, lead the planet into the Klingon Empire).

Did you notice Tyree at the end?  In his anguish over Nona's death at
the hands of the townsmen, he shows definite agressive signs.  He will
fight.  This only adds to Kirk's anguish, but I see nothing to support
the idea that this changes Kirk's mind.

By the way, since when did an order have to be confirmed to be carried out?
The order had been issued, and was not countermanded, therefore Scott must
carry it out.

As for Nona's spell, I agree with Kirk's statement that he was under no
spell when he made this decision.  The only real spell I think he was
under was when she tried to seduce him by rubbing the juice of that flower
on his skin, and that was long after his decision on the flintlocks.

       		H. George Friedman, Jr.
       		Department of Computer Science
       		1304 West Springfield Avenue
       		Urbana, Illinois  61801

       		USENET:	...!{pur-ee,ihnp4,convex}!uiucdcs!friedman
       		CSNET:	friedman%uiuc@csnet-relay.arpa
       		ARPA:	friedman@uiuc.arpa

jody@inuxd.UUCP (JoLinda Ross) (12/27/85)

> Okay, I am willing to accept the consensus of the net.
>
> I have had a long-standing arguement with my brother about
> the ending to a private little war.  I maintain that Kirk in
> the end realizes that flintlocks would be a horrible escalation
> to an already bad situation, recovers from Nona's spell since
> she is dead, and reverses (fails to confirm) his order to
> Scotty about the flintlocks.  (evidence in my favor includes
> the fact that Kirk sighs, says "serpents, Scotty, serpents for
> the Garden of Eden.  Beam us up." and does not restate the order
> and the fact that McCoy has been arguing against the flintlocks
> and Kirk has only overruled him while under Nona's spell)
>
> My brother, however, says I am a naive romantic and that of
> course Tyree gets the flintlocks despite McCoy, the Prime
> Directive, and the influence of the spell.
>
> Okay.  You vote.
>
> ihnp4!mtx5d!elb
>

> Ellen Bart
> Middletown NJ MT2C512
--------------------------

My Mail doesn't work so I will post my vote here.

Unfortunately, I belive Tyree gets the flintlocks.  I don't think
Scotty beamed down snakes for Tyree's people to fight with.  Kirk
had to give them a chance against the Klingon influence.  I
didn't like the word Klingon for time after that show.

                                       jody

mnw@trwrba.UUCP (Michael N. Washington) (01/08/86)

In article <739@mtx5d.UUCP> elb@mtx5d.UUCP (Ellen Bart) writes:
>Okay, I am willing to accept the consensus of the net.
>
>I have had a long-standing arguement with my brother about
>the ending to a private little war.  I maintain that Kirk in
>the end realizes that flintlocks would be a horrible escalation
>to an already bad situation, recovers from Nona's spell since
>she is dead, and reverses (fails to confirm) his order to
>Scotty about the flintlocks.  (evidence in my favor includes
>the fact that Kirk sighs, says "serpents, Scotty, serpents for
>the Garden of Eden.  Beam us up." and does not restate the order
>and the fact that McCoy has been arguing against the flintlocks
>and Kirk has only overruled him while under Nona's spell)
>
>My brother, however, says I am a naive romantic and that of
>course Tyree gets the flintlocks despite McCoy, the Prime
>Directive, and the influence of the spell.
>
>Okay.  You vote.
>
>ihnp4!mtx5d!elb
>

>Ellen Bart
>Middletown NJ MT2C512

Tyree received the flint locks but only after the villagers brutally
killed his wife.  At that point, he wanted to hunt down  the  people
responsible for his wife's death.  He did have hate in his eyes.

Kirk just tried to keep the balance of power by supplying  the  hill
people with flintlocks since the  Klingons  provided  the  villagers
with the firearms.  That was the reason the Enterprise was there.

"Live Long and Prosper!"

Michael N. Washington
TRW E&DS  Redondo Beach, Ca.  90278

{ucbvax,decvax,hplabs}!trwrb!trwrba!mnw

howie@cucca.UUCP (Howie Kaye) (01/11/86)

In article <1777@trwrba.UUCP> mnw@trwrba.UUCP (Michael N. Washington) writes:
>Tyree received the flint locks but only after the villagers brutally
>killed his wife.  At that point, he wanted to hunt down  the  people
>responsible for his wife's death.  He did have hate in his eyes.
>
>Kirk just tried to keep the balance of power by supplying  the  hill
>people with flintlocks since the  Klingons  provided  the  villagers
>with the firearms.  That was the reason the Enterprise was there.

The enterprise was there, on a scientific expedition.  They were
supposed to avoid all inhabitants -- villagers and hill people.  They
only found out that the klingons were there, aiding the villagers,
after Spock is shot, and Kirk is cured.  McCoy gets a tricorder
reading of one in the villagers armory.  Kirk's supplying of
flintlocks is a later issue altogether.

--
Howie Kaye				Sy.Howie@CU20B.ARPA
Columbia University 			HKAUS@cuvma (bitnet)

MW9@PSUVM.BITNET (03/12/86)

Well, I am sure this has been discussed before, but I just saw
the episode last night and wanted to put in my 2 cents.
In my opinion, Kirk violated the prime directive up and down
the pike.  The balance of power is a fine idea, but don't give
guns to Tyree, but take them away from the hill people.  (I think
it was the hill people the Kilngons were backing.)  I mean, kick the
Klingons' butts and then come down and take away all the guns.
They would never be able to make them again, since they didn't
make them in the first place.  Remember, the barrels were too nice
to have been made on the primitive forge.  Ah well, Kirk has said it
himself that he is a soldier and not a politician.  Although you'd think
on a mission to meet new people, you'd want a politician along.

"No, I wouldn't call it fascinating, Captain, merely... interesting."
-------

Michael S. Weiss
The Pennsylvania State University
MW9@PSUVM.BITNET

<* The opinions expressed by me do not reflect those held  *>
<* by my school nor those of my employer.  (If I had one.) *>

mnw@trwrba.UUCP (Michael N. Washington) (03/14/86)

In article <4534MW9@PSUVM> MW9@PSUVM.BITNET writes:

>Well, I am sure this has been discussed before, but I just saw
>the episode last night and wanted to put in my 2 cents.
>In my opinion, Kirk violated the prime directive up and down
>the pike.  The balance of power is a fine idea, but don't give
>guns to Tyree, but take them away from the hill people.  (I think
>it was the hill people the Klingons were backing.)  I mean, kick the
>Klingons' butts and then come down and take away all the guns.
>They would never be able to make them again, since they didn't
>make them in the first place.  Remember, the barrels were too nice
>to have been made on the primitive forge.  Ah well, Kirk has said it
>himself that he is a soldier and not a politician.  Although you'd think
>on a mission to meet new people, you'd want a politician along.
>
>"No, I wouldn't call it fascinating, Captain, merely... interesting."
>-------
>
>Michael S. Weiss
>The Pennsylvania State University
>MW9@PSUVM.BITNET
>
><* The opinions expressed by me do not reflect those held  *>
><* by my school nor those of my employer.  (If I had one.) *>

I disagree.  For one thing, Kirk and gang could not pick a fight with the
Klingons without it escalating into a full fledge "war" which  of  course
the Organians would not allow.   Next,  once  the  hill  people  had  the
knowledge of guns, they would soon learn how to make them. Of course they
would be crude compared to the guns that the Klingons provided, but  none
the less, they would make more.

Take Tyree for example, he was unwilling to  fight  until  his  wife  was
murdered. At that point, he could not get enough guns (my interpretation)
to avenge his wife's death.  Once that happened,  there  was  no  turning
back.  I do wish another solution could have been found.  I  really  hate
wars and think they are a complete waste of everything!

The debate goes on.

"Live Long and Prosper!"

Michael N. Washington
TRW E&DS  Redondo Beach, Ca.  90278

{ucbvax,decvax,hplabs}!trwrb!trwrba!mnw

polish@garfield.columbia.edu (Nathaniel Polish) (03/15/86)

Tyree is a "hill-person," the villagers got the guns.

bl@hplabsb.UUCP (Bruce T. Lowerre) (03/25/86)

> Well, I am sure this has been discussed before, but I just saw
> the episode last night and wanted to put in my 2 cents.
> In my opinion, Kirk violated the prime directive up and down
> the pike.  The balance of power is a fine idea, but don't give
> guns to Tyree, but take them away from the hill people.  (I think
> it was the hill people the Kilngons were backing.)  I mean, kick the

The Klingons were backing the town people.

> Klingons' butts and then come down and take away all the guns.
> They would never be able to make them again, since they didn't
> make them in the first place.  Remember, the barrels were too nice
> to have been made on the primitive forge.  Ah well, Kirk has said it
> himself that he is a soldier and not a politician.  Although you'd think
> on a mission to meet new people, you'd want a politician along.
>
> "No, I wouldn't call it fascinating, Captain, merely... interesting."

Many of the ST stories were parables of the news events of the times.  If
South Viet Nam is substituted for the Hill People, North Viet Nam for the
town people, Russia for the Klingons, and the U.S. for Kirk and company,
then you will see the reason for Kirk's actions.

MW9@PSUVM.BITNET (03/26/86)

In article <3363@hplabsb.UUCP>, bl@hplabsb.UUCP (Bruce T. Lowerre) says:

>Many of the ST stories were parables of the news events of the times.  If
>South Viet Nam is substituted for the Hill People, North Viet Nam for the
>town people, Russia for the Klingons, and the U.S. for Kirk and company,
>then you will see the reason for Kirk's actions.

I may see the reason for it then, but it still sucks.  Vietnam
was bad, too.  Remember?  (I know bad is an understatement, but
that sort of encompasses the whole thing.)  Face it, Kirk screwed
up big time in this episode.  His 'soldier' side got the best of him.
-------

"Science does not remove the Terror of the Gods."
                     -J.R. "Bob" Dobbs, The Church of the SubGenius

mnw@trwrba.UUCP (Michael N. Washington) (03/28/86)

In article <4642MW9@PSUVM> MW9@PSUVM.BITNET writes:

>I may see the reason for it then, but it still sucks.  Vietnam
>was bad, too.  Remember?  (I know bad is an understatement, but
>that sort of encompasses the whole thing.)  Face it, Kirk screwed
>up big time in this episode.  His 'soldier' side got the best of him.
>-------
>
>"Science does not remove the Terror of the Gods."
>                     -J.R. "Bob" Dobbs, The Church of the SubGenius
>
>Michael S. Weiss
>The Pennsylvania State University
>MW9@PSUVM.BITNET

I cannot agree with this.  Kirk had no choice.  He did  not  screw  up.
It goes back the the old adage, "Once the apple of knowledge is bitten,
you cannot goes back as before!".  Again I use  Tyree  as  an  example.
Remember, he resisted using guns until his wife was murdered  while  he
watched.  After her death, he learned how to use a gun!   In  order  to
keep the villagers from wiping out the hill people, Kirk and  gang  had
to balance the power with the same type of weapon the Klingons provided.

I absolutely detest war as a means of attempting to solve problems, but
I know in reality, some crazy people insist on  having  a  war.   I  do
believe in defending ones self or country against aggressiveness of other
individuals or countries who insist on attempting to take what does not
belong to them.

bl@hplabsb.UUCP (Bruce T. Lowerre) (03/31/86)

> In article <3363@hplabsb.UUCP>, bl@hplabsb.UUCP (Bruce T. Lowerre) says:
>
> >Many of the ST stories were parables of the news events of the times.  If
> >South Viet Nam is substituted for the Hill People, North Viet Nam for the
> >town people, Russia for the Klingons, and the U.S. for Kirk and company,
> >then you will see the reason for Kirk's actions.
>
> I may see the reason for it then, but it still sucks.  Vietnam
> was bad, too.  Remember?  (I know bad is an understatement, but
> that sort of encompasses the whole thing.)  Face it, Kirk screwed
> up big time in this episode.  His 'soldier' side got the best of him.

Did the U.S. do any better?  :-)