[net.startrek] NOMAD, is Kirk crazy?

greg@xios.UUCP (Greg Franks) (11/26/86)

In article <408@rayssd.RAY.COM> gmp@rayssd.UUCP writes:
>In article <8763@ti-csl.CSNET>, martin@ti-csl.CSNET (Steven Martin) writes:
>
>Oh, one other thing.  Several people have said that there was indeed
>a receiver in the studio of the radio station in the episode "A
>Piece of the Action" that allowed Spock and Bones to hear Uhura.
>I don't buy this, but even if I did, there's still a problem.
>If the radio station uses the receiver to monitor its own broadcasts,
>then it is tuned to the station's frequency.  Since the station is
>very close and (probably) quite powerful, I am certain that its
>signal would completely overwhelm any transmission from the Enterprise
>on that same frequency (a phenomenon commonly called "jamming").
>Remember that the carrier is still being transmitted even when
>the D.J. (in this case Spock) isn't talking.  Still I ask,
>	"How'd they hear her?"

Au Contraire....

Radio stations tend to be located inside cities, whereas transmitters are
located at some convenient HIGH ground, which is usually quite far away.
Furthermore, because the transmitter swamps the receiver when the receiver
is near by, the station would want to locate the transmitter in some
remote section so that everyone, including those living or working near
the station, can receive the signal.

As for the carrier... Perhaps the Enterprise has a nice big directional
antenna, or perhaps they diverted some power from the transporter...
"Crank 'er up to 1 gigawatt Mr Scott"  :-).

Vermont Ain't Flat
  Greg Franks.