[net.startrek] Star Trek IV

batie@omsvax.UUCP (Alan Batie) (06/02/84)

<Que Sera Sera>

As I see it, between T'Pau and Sarek, there is enough power on Vulcan to put
Kirk back in StarFleet, and probably on an Excelsior class Enterprise to boot.

Changing the subject: Have the lines been as disappointing elsewhere as they
have here in the Portland area?  The first showing here didn't even fill the
theater!

pedz@smu.UUCP (06/11/84)

#R:omsvax:-91900:smu:18200003:000:214
smu!pedz    Jun 11 14:41:00 1984

Apperantly it is going well at the box office.  The lines here at
dallas did not seem that good either but I saw on ET that it was on
the top of the money winners so far this summer (or something to that
effect).

me141@sdcc11.UUCP (me141) (11/18/84)

Quo usque tandem abutere patientia nostra?

The grapevine reports that Bill is again negotiating
with Paramount.

Also, TV Guide for Nov 21 lists Leonard Nimoy on the
live show AM Los Angeles with (Star Trek IV) after his
name.  Maybe there will be news.  Watch for posting.

      "It's a big galaxy, Mr. Scott"
              Alice Greene  [..sdcc11!me141]

faigin@ucla-cs.UUCP (12/13/84)

The following is excerpted from the December 12, 1984 edition of
the "L.A. Life" section in the "Daily News", Los Angeles:

	WILL IT BE AN UPHILL 'TREK' TO SAVE THE CREW

	By Bruce Cook, Daily News Film Writer

	A mysterious press release materialized recently with
	news that will be startling to many and shocking to some.

	Under the headline, "The Enterprise Wasn't Enough," it
	declares that "if STAR TREK IV is scripted according to
	the present story line, her crew is next! EVERYONE, with
	the possible exception of SPOCK (a cruel joke at best),
	is scheduled to die in the upcoming film... A younger
	crew for new adventures is behind this sadistic turn of
	events."

	All of them? Can it be? What can a loyal Trekkie do to
	avert such a catastrophe?

	"WRITE LETTERS!" urges the release, and it specifies that
	they be sent to Frank Mancuso, chairman of the board and
	chief executive office of Paramount, and to Harve
	bennett, producer of all but the first "Star Trek" film.

	Mancuso wasn't available for comment, but bennett was. He
	has already heard about it, and his secretary had braced
	herself for the anticipated mountain of mail.

	"This just came to my attention today," says Bennett,
	"and I have to say it's the silliest thing I ever saw."

	Are Trekkies, shall we say, a bit more involved that
	other movie fans? "Yes, I've lived with that. There've
	been other write-in campaigns before. I'm afraid that
	there are a percentage of 'Star Trek' fans on the fring
	who like to stir things up. They haven't got much to do,
	so they begin ruminating on their worst fears -- what
	would happen if? It's sort of a latent paranoia with some
	of them.

	"But listen, the fact is that the only thing of paper
	right now is what Leonard (Nimoy) and I have worked out
	between us, and there is no massacre. Repeat, no
	massacre.

	"We're in negotiation with William Shatner right now. As
	of now, we have no writer on the project, but we have
	every expectation that production of 'Star Trek IV' will
	be under way not long into 1985."

	So breate easy, fans. Kirk, Bones, Scotty, Chekov, Sulu,
	and Uhura are safe for one more movie at least. No
	guarantees on "Star Trek V," however.

--

Daniel P. Faigin				| (This space intentionally
University of California at Los Angeles		|	left blank)

UUCP: {cepu|ihnp4|trwspp|ucbvax}!ucla-cs!faigin	|
ARPA: faigin@UCLA-CS.ARPA			|
USPS (Home):	11743 Darlington Avenue #9	|
		Los Angeles CA 90049		|
		(213) 826-3357			|

chris@leadsv.UUCP (Christopher Salander) (01/29/85)

     I have been off the net for six months, so this may have already
been discussed:  What about Star Trek IV, the movie????   Last I had
heard, they had begun filming.  Then Shatner was suppose to have walked
off the set, asking for more money.  Does anyone know what's going on
now?   (I use to check with fanzines and other fans at Star Base Central
in Mountain View, Ca.; but they gone out of business!  Does anyone
know who bought their stock?).

edward@ukma.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) (01/30/85)

<chomp>
	This will probably be posted by many people, but:

	Entertainment Tonight reported tonight (Jan. 29) that
Paramount announced that it will start production on Star Trek IV.
The entire cast will return. Leonard Nimoy will direct.

a one...

a two...

a three...

			YAHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

resident Trekker,

edward
...cbosgd!hasmed!qusavx!ukma!edward

red@ukma.UUCP (Red Varth) (01/30/85)

Yes, but does anyone know what the PLOT is supposed to be? God help us
if it's anything like ST I. (In my opinion, that was the rip of the
millineum) I gave up being a Trekker awhile back (too many lousy novels
by too many lousy authors), but I still enjoy the TV series.

			Red

ron@wjvax.UUCP (Ron Christian) (01/31/85)

I saw Walter Koneig at a Dr Who convention in San Francisco
this last weekend.  He came in and right off said something
like "Well, the last word is that Bill has signed to do STIV,
we'll start filming in fall '85, and it'll be released in
summer of '86.  I don't know anything whatsoever about the
plot."  (I may be off a season or so on those dates.  This
is from memory, and I don't care all that much in any case.
STIII pretty much burned me out.)  He then asked: "Are there
any questions".  Long silence.  I guess all the questions had
been answered.  Oh, they came up with a few.  Does he like
"Hooker"?  No.  He prefers Hill Street Blues.

Funny though, George Takai, at the last convention, aluded to
lots of information about the plot.
--

	Ron Christian  (Watkins-Johnson Co.  San Jose, Calif.)
	{pesnta,twg,ios,qubix,turtlevax,tymix}!wjvax!ron

dewey@ttidcb.UUCP (William Dewey) (02/01/85)

Along with [most] everyone else.....

	Who cares what the plot is YYYYEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHH

	Anybody got anything for an Acid stomach?

naranjo@euclid.DEC (02/01/85)

Newsgroups: net.startrek
Subject: Re: STARTREK IV

ALSO... I can't recall if it has gotten around officially on the net yet,
I happened to catch about 30 seconds of "Entertainment Tonight" yesterday
(1/29) and I guess Paramount has announced that ST IV will be going into
production in the fall of this year.  They say the old gang will be back
(both Nimoy and Shatner) and Nimoy will be directing again.  Is this
news to anyone?

  THIS IS NEWS BUT THE WRONG NEWS....

  2 WEEKS AGO ABC NETWORK NEWS DID A SPOT ON LEONARD NIMOY RECEIVING
  A STAR ON HOLLYWOOD BLVD. WHERE HIS CLOSING WORDS WERE....
  "STAR TREK IV HAS BEEN COMPLETED AND WILL BE RELEASED THIS COMING SUMMER."

  PLEASE LET'S NOT DRAG OUT THE WAIT ANY LONGER THEN WE HAVE TO.

                              LIVE LONG AND PROSPER,

                                  PETER NARANJO
                                  DEC MAYNARD,MA.

dwhitney@uok.UUCP (02/02/85)

> I gave up being a Trekker awhile back.....
> ST I...was the ripoff of the millenium.....

If from that we can assume you haven't seen Star Treks 2 or 3,
please rent them or find a friend who has them.  They are NOTHING,
and I mean NOTHING, like the first one.  The only common denominator
is the Enterprise, and the crew; they are decorations in the first
film, but they are actually USED and USED WELL in the last two...
Don't give up!!!

"There are always possibilities..."

David Whitney
ctvax!uokvax!uok!dwhitney

mmiller@harvard.ARPA (Martin Miller) (02/04/85)

>   2 WEEKS AGO ABC NETWORK NEWS DID A SPOT ON LEONARD NIMOY RECEIVING
>   A STAR ON HOLLYWOOD BLVD. WHERE HIS CLOSING WORDS WERE....
>   "STAR TREK IV HAS BEEN COMPLETED AND WILL BE RELEASED THIS COMING SUMMER."
>
>   PLEASE LET'S NOT DRAG OUT THE WAIT ANY LONGER THEN WE HAVE TO.
>
>                               LIVE LONG AND PROSPER,
>
>                                   PETER NARANJO
>                                   DEC MAYNARD,MA.

Ah, if only it were true.  The most current information I have comes
from Issue 14 of DC's Star Trek comic, wherein the associate editor,
Bob Greenberger reports:

	...here's the current word on plans for the fourth STAR TREK
	feature film.  Despite all the reports in gossip columns and
	the changes in management at Paramount Pictures, we have been
	told by unimpeachable sources that enthusiasm runs high for
	STAR TREK IV.  Currently, a script is being polished up and
	shooting is expected for the summer of 1985 with a summer of
	1986 release date planned.

It further appears that the DC people have a pretty direct line to
Harve Bennett (comic author Mike W. Barr met with him recently in
Los Angeles, according to the same issue of the comic).

Anyhow, if I remember correctly, it takes somewhere from 6 months
to a year to insert the special effects into a ST picture, even
after the shooting with the actors has been completed.

I'd love to see the picture out sooner; my personal preference would
be to restore the weekly TV series so that I'd have a constant supply
of new episodes rather than having to wait 2 years at a time for
another "fix."   Oh, well...

				Martin Miller
				mmiller@harvard

chris@leadsv.UUCP (Christopher Salander) (02/11/85)

> > Since its really on the 'books' now, why dont we all go through the
> > posibilities again.........
> >

> > I think its gonna be a cop-out, and what we'll see is Kirk get 'severly
> > reprimanded' and busted back to (wait for it.....) Captain.... Might
> > even give him an EnterpriseN....
> >
> > How bout the rest of yah?

      I might suggest yet another version of ST IV:  It is based
   upon the book "Spock Must Die!", which I think was written by
   James Blish.

      The title is based upon the creation of two Spocks, a dextro-
   Spock and a levulo-Spock.  One of them must die.  But that is
   not the part of the story I would borrow -

     Instead, the Klingons have developed a psion controlling device.
   It is said that psions carry thought itself.  The Klingons then
   use this device to enshroud Organia.  The Organians, being pure
   thought are severely inhibited.  This allows the Klingons to launch
   the 'ALL OUT GALACTIC WAR!!!"  that everyone wants.  The Federation
   is caught with their pants down.   And guess what -

      the Enterprise is behind Klingon lines (on a scientific mission)
   and is the closest ship to Organia!  They figure out what is going
   on, and rescue the Organians, who freeze the Klingons in time,
   which saves the Federation.   (and Spock gets put back together).

    - the only thing they would have to change is that it is their
   posession of a Klingon ship and their apparent status as renegades
   that allows them to be in such a good position.  Further, the
   reason the Klingons could be motivated to start the war is that
   they believe (as indicated in ST III) that the Genesis device is
   really the ultimate weapon.  They have to strike before the
   Federation contracts it out to General Dynamics and they go into
   production.  Further, our heroes in the book did not really need
   much firepower, since they concentrated on avoiding contact with
   the Klingons, and used brains rather than firepower to rescue the
   Organians.

     gee, I hope the script is as good as this....

yosh@hou2e.UUCP (M.CHING) (02/15/85)

> > Since its really on the 'books' now, why dont we all go through the
> > posibilities again.........
> >

> > I think its gonna be a cop-out, and what we'll see is Kirk get 'severly
> > reprimanded' and busted back to (wait for it.....) Captain.... Might
> > even give him an EnterpriseN....
> >
> > How bout the rest of yah?
>

>       I might suggest yet another version of ST IV:  It is based
>    upon the book "Spock Must Die!", which I think was written by
>    James Blish.
>
>       the Enterprise is behind Klingon lines (on a scientific mission)
>    and is the closest ship to Organia!  They figure out what is going
>    on, and rescue the Organians, who freeze the Klingons in time,
>    which saves the Federation.   (and Spock gets put back together).

>      gee, I hope the script is as good as this....

I'm glad you're not a script writer. I guess before all this happens Spock
and Scotty will develop an Enterprise-resurrector that will take space dust
and rebuild the Enterprise....

... It was destroyed in the last movie. (Remember, Hedley?????????)

				Dave Bloom
				Bell Labs, Holmdel

linwood@jett.UUCP (02/17/85)

.
Ok where's the proof Jim Kirk Stole the Enterprise?
The only one who is really guilty of anything is Lt. Uhura of jamming
Fleet Communications....I have two theories...
A) they all become a space age A-Team
B) Everyone (except Uhura) have to come up with alibi...

Anyone know the title yet...???

	- linwood
	  {akgua,ihnp4,cbosgd,nsc}!jett!linwood

elb@hou5e.UUCP (Ellen Bart) (02/19/85)

The only problem I find with speculation of this sort about
Kirk being exonerated is that it will make any decisions for
the REAL movie anti-climactic.  As was pointed out in another
article, Kirk has often avoided charges with little more than
hand-waving --- Restrictions Talos 4 suspended this occasion
		Amok Time -- in view of importance of T'pau
		Mark of Gideon (both Kirk and Spock risked
				diplomatic incident & Spock
				disobeyed a direct order)
and numerous times when Kirk "freely interpreted the prime
directive.

I think they may handwave again in STIV cuz why bother with
complicated excuses that won't satisfy everyone anyway ?!

ellen bart

jonab@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Jonathan Biggar) (02/20/85)

Why don't they just build a new Genesis device with different programming,
shoot it into a convenient nebula and viola, 10000 new Enterprises, ready
to polish off the Klingons, Romulans, Gorns, Tholians, Organians, ...

Jon Biggar
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,sdccsu3}!sdcrdcf!jonab

linwood@jett.UUCP (02/28/85)

.
>In case anyone is interested, the tentative title for Star Trek IV
>is "The Trial of Admiral Kirk".

Ok, then just were did you get your information??

	- linwood

	  {akgua,ihnp4,cbosgd,nsc}!jett!linwood

appatel@kcl-cs.UUCP (ZNAC343) (03/04/85)

	Does anybody over in the states have any news on "STAR TREK VI", we
have have heard that Nimoy has signed up but Shatner is still holding out.Is this true? Can anybody shed more light on the subject ?

appatel@kcl-cs.UUCP (ZNAC343) (05/09/85)

It seems that the plot to Star Trek IV: The Search For Enterprise is as
follows: (This information is from a RELIABLE source)

	The USS Enterprise having been regenerated in the atmosphere of the     Genesis planet,and feeling very well after the whole experience,heads for
the planet Vulcan.The Enterprise is being controlled by a mysterious Energy
force,never encountered before.
	The crew,all having been on the Genesis planet,lose all of their
wrinkles and feel young and beautiful again,and ready to take on another
five year voyage.Captain Kirk doesn't lose all of his wrinkles (due to there
being too many of them.),but is cleared of all charges and declared a hero.
	The crew all beam up to the Enterprise,exchange a few cliches,and
head towards a black hole,that just happens to be lying around near by in space)
at warp factor 10.Due to the emense gravity of the black hole they go back in
time to just before the Enterprise buys it over Genesis.Because there are now
two Enterprises,the Klingon Bird Of Prey is blown out of excistence.Kirk's son
David does not die,so Kirk misses his chance to swear and act emotional.
	There are now two Enterprises left and two crews,so both crews enter
the transporter at the same time and are joined together as one.Then they all
return to Earth with two Enterprises,Star Fleet forgives them all (one reason
being that they now have two Enterprises to sell for scrap instead of one),
and Kirk is declared a Hero (again).
	(The crew went on to make guest appearances in the new series of
T.J.Hooker).

		(TO BE OR NOT TO BE THAT IS ILLOGICAL CAPTAIN...SPOCK).

appatel@kcl-cs.UUCP (ZNAC343) (05/25/85)

It seems that the plot to Star Trek IV: The Search For Enterprise is as
follows: (This information is from a RELIABLE source)

	The USS Enterprise having been regenerated in the atmosphere of the     Genesis planet,and feeling very well after the whole experience,heads for
the planet Vulcan.The Enterprise is being controlled by a mysterious Energy
force of a type never encountered before.
	The crew,all having been on the Genesis planet,lose all of their
wrinkles and feel young and beautiful again,and ready to take on another
five year voyage.Captain Kirk doesn't lose all of his wrinkles (due to there
being too many of them.),but is cleared of all charges and declared a hero.
	The crew all beam up to the Enterprise,exchange a few cliches,and
head towards a black hole,that just happens to be lying around near by in space)
at warp factor 10.Due to the emense gravity of the black hole they go back in
time to just before the Enterprise buys it over Genesis.Because there are now
two Enterprises,the Klingon Bird Of Prey is blown out of existance.Kirk's son

appatel@kcl-cs.UUCP (ZNAC343) (05/30/85)

[...]

freeman@spar.UUCP (Jay Freeman) (06/11/85)

[libation to line-eater every time Spock says "Fascinating"]

In article <580@west44.kcl-cs.UUCP> ...

>    The USS Enterprise having been regenerated in the atmosphere of the
>Genesis planet,and feeling very well after the whole experience,heads for
>the planet Vulcan. [...]

The way I heard it was that Enterprise, having been regenerated in the
atmosphere of the Genesis planet at a higher plane of consciousness,
finds her way home in the manner of a good horse.  She arrives at the
San Francisco Navy Yard just after the conclusion of the trial of
Admiral James T. Kirk, but just before the sentence (capital punishment)
is to be carried out.  Officials of Starfleet Command are understandably
concerned when a fully-armed battle cruiser shows up and transmits ...

 "You're about to do WHAT with my Captain!!"

(This is all a joke.  It's not really a plot for STIV.  Someone tell me
that it's only a joke.  Someone ...)
--
Jay Reynolds Freeman (Schlumberger Palo Alto Research)(canonical disclaimer)

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (06/13/85)

>From: freeman@spar.UUCP (Jay Freeman)
>
>In article <580@west44.kcl-cs.UUCP> ...
>>    The USS Enterprise having been regenerated in the atmosphere of the
>>Genesis planet,and feeling very well after the whole experience,heads for
>>the planet Vulcan. [...]
>
>The way I heard it was that Enterprise, having been regenerated in the
>atmosphere of the Genesis planet at a higher plane of consciousness,
>finds her way home in the manner of a good horse.  She arrives at the
>San Francisco Navy Yard just after the conclusion of the trial of
>Admiral James T. Kirk, but just before the sentence (capital punishment)
>is to be carried out.  Officials of Starfleet Command are understandably
>concerned when a fully-armed battle cruiser shows up and transmits ...
>
> "You're about to do WHAT with my Captain!!"
>
>(This is all a joke.  It's not really a plot for STIV.  Someone tell me
>that it's only a joke.  Someone ...)

No, it's actually the pilot for what execs hope will be Star Trek's return
to prime time. Tentative title for the new show is:

	"My Mother the Starship"

(Needless to say, :-) :-) :-)   )

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

ee178abd@sdcc7.UUCP (Kwisatz Haderach) (02/18/86)

      Does anyone have any up-to-date information on Star Trek IV?
I haven't had a chance to use the net in a while.  Did all those
rumors about Eddie Murphy and Billy Idol being in the movie turn out
out to be bogus?

DVL@PSUVM.BITNET (02/26/86)

I have the synopsis script for ST IV for those interested in the info on it.
Contact me through Alvin at this userid (DVL@PSUVM) or write to me at:
              Paul Durazzo
              242 Nimitz Avenue
              State College, PA  16801

Also, if you have any other questions, contact me and I'll see what I can do.
                             Paul

kahless@samira.UUCP (Lord Kahless) (11/28/86)

I just returned from Star Trek IV, and here are my inital impressions.
There may be some spoilers in this, so beware.

     I found the movie somewhat disappointing, somewhat ordinary.
Another alien thingie is suddenly in orbit around Earth, and only
Captain Kirk can save everyone.  This is the second time we've
seen this plot device in four movies.  I couldn't help but thinking
of the clan of monsters that is always coming to eat Tokyo.

     I suppose I like whales as much as the next guy, but there's a
limit to how long they can hold me off the edge of my seat.  I mean,
they're just not *THAT* cute.

     Personally, I thought the movie looked cheap in places, particularly
in the makeup on non-Earthers.  The Andorian at the end looked down right
fake, with uniformly bright blue skin.  There were many cheap animal-critters
in the court-martial scene, like something out of a cheap horror movie.
None of the aliens looked *REALLY* alien, really new.

     Also, I wonder about the technical accuracy of the movie, particularly
in the realm of Klingon technology.  For instance, it is widely known that
Klingon transporters are SILENT, yet over and over we heard the screach
of a Federation transporter when using the transporters on the Bounty.

     On the plus side, John Schuck wasn't too bad as the Klingon Ambassador.
I had feared he would be simply dreadful, given that his past parts have
been doing things like bumbling robot cops and buffoon deputies in Disney
movies.  Also, there were entertaining moments, like Chekov asking everyone
where the nuclear powered ships in Alameda were.

    Here are a list of issues that I think need to be addressed:

    Did anyone wonder why *NOBODY* accidentally ran into the parked
invisible Bounty?  Also, there was a huge depression on the ground where
the ship landed, yet nobody seemed to look.

    What were the phasers Chekov et. al. carried?  They weren't old
issue Federation #1's, and they didn't look like Klingon phasers.  I don't
think the Empire even makes such dinky toy phasers.  When Kirk arrived
on the Bounty back in Star Trek III, he was carrying a Klingon phaser,
wasn't he?  He certainly wasn't carrying a #1.  The Vulcans, being
peace lovers, surely didn't give them a bunch of phasers so they could
be better armed when they went back to Earth to turn themselves in.
I mean, the trip to Earth was supposed to be a brief one, and they should
have made the reasonable assumption that a working Earth would be there
when they arrived, so they would have no need to load phasers, communicators,
etc.  If anything, they should have been using the Klingon phasers left
over from the previous owners of the Bounty.

    When Kirk, Bones, Chekov, & Whatzername transported out of the
hospital, did I really see them materialize on the lawn instead of
inside the ship?

    About possible time contamination:  Chekov left behind a working
communicator on the Enterprise, plus a broken phaser and who knows
what else.  Kirk was upset when a working communicator left behind
on Iota, and the Iotians are considerably less technically sophisticated
and immitative than late 20'th century Earthers. From the communicator,
they could figure out the basis of the transtator, and that would give
Earth transporters and other things they shouldn't have for a long time.

    Anybody else have any opinions on any of these issues?

belmonte@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Matthew Belmonte) (11/28/86)

SPOILER FOLLOWS, OF COURSE...

In article <50@samira.UUCP> kahless@samira.UUCP (Lord Kahless) writes:
>    About possible time contamination:  Chekov left behind a working
>communicator on the Enterprise, plus a broken phaser and who knows
>what else.  Kirk was upset when a working communicator left behind
>on Iota, and the Iotians are considerably less technically sophisticated
>and immitative than late 20'th century Earthers. From the communicator,
>they could figure out the basis of the transtator, and that would give
>Earth transporters and other things they shouldn't have for a long time.

To quote Scotty, how do we know he didn't invent it?
To all you "Re: Transporters" fans, here's your answer.  NOBODY really
invented the transporter.  The U.S. Navy somehow acquired the central
technology for the transporter in the year 1986.  Of course they kept it
under wraps for awhile.  The first major use of the transporter on Earth
was to lock onto and dematerialise all the missiles on the day when we finally
got stupid enough to fire them.  With the decline of the individual states on
Earth and the rise of unity in the Federation, transporter technology became
more widely available, at least to the military.  The big problem on into the
23rd century is that since nobody really invented the transporter in the first
place, nobody really knows what to do to it when it goes wrong (except people
like Scotty, who've gleaned alot of empirical knowledge of transporter
technology).
--
"When you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow."
 -- a member of the Nixon administration