[net.startrek] STIV

gray@hound.UUCP (B.GRAY) (03/14/85)

Has it occurred to anyone that the makers of the Star Trek
movies may have no intention of "getting Kirk out of this
one?" All these arguments about the main characters'
relationship to Starfleet would conveniently become
unimportant if the characters all left the service and started
having adventures on their own.

There is no logical reason to have all the characters on
the same starship anymore (or even to have all of them on
a starship), so they simply write the Federation out of
the script!

Oh, sure, it might still chase after the "deserters" but it
could be like the old "The Fugitive" show, with the Feds just
about to catch up with our heroes at the end of each movie,
then conveniently losing their trail at the start of the
next. It's a big universe. How many ships does Starfleet have?

This isn't the TV series anymore: they have lots of time and
money to make each episode, so why be hemmed in by the format
of the old show? Now they're free to explore whatever avenues
they wish. (I hope this doesn't sound like heresy; it is
becoming apparent to many, judging from the articles on the
net, that you can have either the old characters, or the old
format, but not both.)

As for Kirk's "best destiny," I think the last couple of
movies have been trying to show a change in his mood and
personality. After his own son and his best friend are killed,
his ship is destroyed, and his friend is resurrected, he may
have no taste for commanding a starship. He (and his
companions) have already demonstrated that their friendship is
more important than Starfleet.

bsa@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (03/29/85)

+----------------
| Has it occurred to anyone that the makers of the Star Trek
| movies may have no intention of "getting Kirk out of this
| one?" All these arguments about the main characters'
| relationship to Starfleet would conveniently become
| unimportant if the characters all left the service and started
| having adventures on their own.
|	. . .
| Oh, sure, it might still chase after the "deserters" but it
| could be like the old "The Fugitive" show, with the Feds just
| about to catch up with our heroes at the end of each movie,
| then conveniently losing their trail at the start of the
| next. It's a big universe. How many ships does Starfleet have?
+----------------

Sh*t.  First V, now Star Trek may turn into The A*TEAM in Space.
Is NOTHING sacred in Hollywood???  (Rhetorical question.  Of COURSE it isn't.)

+----------------
| This isn't the TV series anymore: they have lots of time and
| money to make each episode, so why be hemmed in by the format
| of the old show?
+----------------

Because it forces them to do it right.  Remember ST:TMP?  Do you *really*
want THAT (Hollywood's vision of Star Trek)?  Ugh.  The only thing it had
going for it was that it was in the Star Trek universe.  (That, and I liked
the music.)

--bsa
--
Brandon Allbery, decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!bsa, ncoast!bsa@case.csnet (etc.)
6504 Chestnut Road Independence, Ohio 44131 +1 216 524 1416 -- CIS 74106,1032

evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) (04/29/85)

I have the following from a very reliable source, regarding Star Trek IV,
The Trial of James T. Kirk...

Kirk will be tried for all he did in ST3 (obviously), and at the same time,
the Klingons are going to be demanding his head!  Presumably in an effort
to keep galactic peace (or something), they whole incident in III is going
to be undone.  How you may ask?  How about The Guardian of Forever??
Yes, campers, as I understand it, they will get the big E back, history will
be rewritten (impossible according to DC Comics' Universe, but what do they
know??), and everything will be copacetic.  (I love that word)

Now then, skeptics, my  source has had a phenomenal track record in the
past (ST2 and 3 for instance.).  Also, tentative release date is Xmas time.

Granted, my description seems a little disconnected and stream of conscious-
like, but this is what he told me.  I am not in a position to answer questions
regarding more details, as I have told you what I learned, tho comments are
always welcome, posted or mailed.

Next time I see my friendly neighborhood source (summertime, sometime), I
will try to hit him up for more details.  Oh, the whole cast is back one
more time.

--Evan Marcus

--

{ucbvax|decvax}|vax135|petsd|pedsgd|pedsga|evan

There are two kinds of people in the world, those who divide people into two
kinds, and those who don't.

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (04/30/85)

>From: evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus)
>
>I have the following from a very reliable source, regarding Star Trek IV,
>The Trial of James T. Kirk...
>
>Kirk will be tried for all he did in ST3 (obviously), and at the same time,
>the Klingons are going to be demanding his head!  Presumably in an effort
>to keep galactic peace (or something), they whole incident in III is going
>to be undone.  How you may ask?  How about The Guardian of Forever??
>Yes, campers, as I understand it, they will get the big E back, history will
>be rewritten (impossible according to DC Comics' Universe, but what do they
>know??), and everything will be copacetic.  (I love that word)

The big problem with this whole story is how do you "undo" something this
complicated?

If you just want to get the Enterprise back, then you need only relive ST
III, but this leaves you the problems of having a dead Spock, a dying
Genesis planet, and Klingons trying to steal the secret of Genesis.
Presumably, Soctty would be prepared this time to take the ship into
combat, so our heroes could capture the Klingons without losing the
Enterprise. In this case, the Klingon High Command would probably still be
screaming for someone's head and the Enterprise might still be destined for
scrap.

More reasonable would be to go all the way back to ST II:TWOK. Now the only
problem is to stop Kahn before he sets off the Genesis device. (If he's
allowed to set it off, then we have the Klingon problem again.) The obvious
problem, then, is where do you divert the time stream. (I'll ignore the
obvious temporal anomalies which were also ignored in COTEOF.)

The obvious spot would be the Enterprise's first encounter with the
Reliant. Had Kirk followed Saavik's reminder, then countless lives might
have been saved. At this point, Kahn did not yet have Genesis, so the
affects on the universe would have been minimal. All Kirk would have to do
is disable and capture Reliant, dump Kahn on a new planet, and everything
would be copacetic. (Unfortunately, all the people on Regulus would be
dead.)

Better yet would be to intervene at a point before Kahn takes over the
Reliant. I hate to admit it, but this could be easily done. If Chekov had
not been so insistant on looking for something "transplantable" on Ceti
Alpha V, then he might have just stuck to the original goal of the mission
(to find a lifeless planet) and ordered the Reliant to move on without
anyone beaming down.

My god, could this mean a movie where Pavel Chekov has to play a pivotal
role????? (Oh, ick.)

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

nm34@sdcc12.UUCP (nm34) (05/02/85)

In article <273@moncol.UUCP>, john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) writes:
> >From: evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus)
> >
> >I have the following from a very reliable source, regarding Star Trek IV,
> >The Trial of James T. Kirk...
> >
> >Kirk will be tried for all he did in ST3 (obviously), and at the same time,
> >the Klingons are going to be demanding his head!  Presumably in an effort
> >to keep galactic peace (or something), they whole incident in III is going
> >to be undone.  How you may ask?  How about The Guardian of Forever??
> >Yes, campers, as I understand it, they will get the big E back, history will
> >be rewritten (impossible according to DC Comics' Universe, but what do they
> >know??), and everything will be copacetic.  (I love that word)
>
> The big problem with this whole story is how do you "undo" something this
> complicated?
>
> Better yet would be to intervene at a point before Kahn takes over the
> Reliant. I hate to admit it, but this could be easily done. If Chekov had
> not been so insistant on looking for something "transplantable" on Ceti
> Alpha V, then he might have just stuck to the original goal of the mission
> (to find a lifeless planet) and ordered the Reliant to move on without
> anyone beaming down.
>

> --
> Name:		John Ruschmeyer
     Better yet go back 15 years and put Kahn on a more suitable planet
where he miight have become a useful and responsible member of the
galaxy.
                                 Andy Bindman

schuetz@via.DEC (Chris Schuetz - backup System Manager 381-2647) (05/03/85)

Ok, all the crew seems to have signed on for the fourth movie.

WHO'S PLAYING SAAVIK?

If it isn't Kirstie Allen (?), then they had better drop the character.

Having just read the novelizations again, I think that they really missed
the boat in not showing us more of her background.  This is a character
that could carry a whole new crew on more adventures, and let Shatner and
especially DeForest Kelly, and "Scotty" retire their characters without
dooming the series.

I'd like to look forward to many more Star Trek movies, or a new TV series,
without having to have Shatner's blessing and salary involved.

Anyone else think it's time for new blood to carry the ball?

FMZ@PSUVM.BITNET (05/04/85)

One problem with your scenario for leaping back in time:  the Klingons had
already stolen information about the Genesis device (remember the spy?).

------------------------------------------------------------------James Cassell   FMZ@PSUVM.BITNET

ph@wudma.UUCP (05/05/85)

> WHO'S PLAYING SAAVIK?
>
> If it isn't Kirstie Allen (?), then they had better drop the character.
			  ^
	Kirstie Alley.

> Anyone else think it's time for new blood to carry the ball?

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE, YOU PRIMITIVE SCUZBALLS ***

	The replacement of Kirstie Alley with Robin Curtis for the second
	screen appearance of Saavik raises an interesting point: how
	would we, the fans, take it if an important character was given
	to a different actor?  Saavik is, of course, by now a pretty
	significant person, but she's not one of the "oldsters".  There
	have been three James Bonds, six Doctors Who, and untold numbers
	of Sherlock Holmeses and Lords Greystoke.  Can Kirk, Spock, McCoy,
	et. al. withstand similar treatment?  How about it, netlanders?

	By the way, if anyone's interested (:-), here's my opinion: no.
	Save for the Doctor, whose different incarnations have at least
	some small amount of doubletalk to explain them, the characters
	above were all originally created in print, and their varying
	portrayals in visual media were merely interpretations.  The
	Star Trek characters, on the other hand, were created on the
	screen.  Thus, if you will pardon my sounding like a Dannon
	commercial, Shatner IS Kirk, Nimoy IS Spock, etc.  While I would
	miss them all if new blood took over, I would prefer that to
	trying to accept new faces as old ones, or following the
	originals into retirement and Geritol commercials.

						--pH
/*
 *	"I'm a doctor, not a critic!"
 */

ralphw@mit-eddie.UUCP (Ralph W. Hyre) (05/05/85)

Well, klingons will be klingons.  Seriously, though this is a good point.
If the klingons still know about Genesis, then they will keep trying to get
it.  However, if only the one group of klingons (Kruge) knew, then after
Kruge is taken care of, then there won't be a klingon problem anymore, either.
Sure Kirk, will miss out on a chance to play hero, but his son will probably
still be alive.

Maybe Kirk and company should tow Khan's ship to the Klingon homeworld.  This
could solve many problems.

Any other suggestions about how to deal with the klingon problem?

					- Ralph Hyre

wa68@sdcc12.UUCP (Alice Greene) (05/06/85)

The following is from the May Interstat, a monthly fan-produced
publication.

The information comes from Hollywood Reporter, 4/18. Nimoy describes
the plot for the upcoming ST IV as"...a fun approach to contemporary
earth concerns, and will almost directly continue from part III".

From Eddie Egan, Paramount's ST publicist, ST IV will open 6/6/86.

                  Alice Greene

raiche@dartvax.UUCP (George A. Raiche) (05/06/85)

> Anyone else think it's time for new blood to carry the ball?

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR WISHFUL THINKING ***

Here's my ending for STIV.  Kirk gets court-martialled on Vulcan, and
they throw the book at him--toss him right out of the service.  He's
being brought back to Earth, under guard, and as the ship pulls into
Spacedock it passes the former Excelsior renamed--get this--
USS JAMES T. KIRK.  Sulu and Saavik jump aboard and off they go!
We leave the movie with Kirk in tears and McCoy, with his hand on JTK's
shoulder, saying something comforting.

But seriously:
A story I always liked came out in the first collection of new ST stories
called "Star Trek: The New Voyages".  I forget the name of the story
but it had Kirk kidnapped by the Klingons (who else?), mind-sifted,
brought to the Guardian planet, where he escapes in time looking for Edith
Keeler but winds up in a 1950's mental institution instead.  Spock
eventually takes Enterprise back in time to rescue him.  How about adapting
this story for the movie--while the crew is back in the '50's they can also
knock Khan off and solve everything!  The original story has not only a
love interest for Kirk but also plenty of agitation between Spock and
McCoy, as well as presenting an opportunity for a run-in with the Klingons--
and the basic premise is a little more plausible since the Klingons have
a good reason to want Kirk (the Genesis info).  It would be a good
character story, instead of hardware, and everything will come out A-OK.

Well, I like it anyway.

				George Raiche
				Dept. of Chemistry
				Dartmouth

wbpesch@ihuxp.UUCP (Walt Pesch) (05/06/85)

> Kirk will be tried for all he did in ST3 (obviously), and at the same time,
> the Klingons are going to be demanding his head!  Presumably in an effort
> to keep galactic peace (or something), they whole incident in III is going
> to be undone.  How you may ask?  How about The Guardian of Forever??
> Yes, campers, as I understand it, they will get the big E back, history will
> be rewritten (impossible according to DC Comics' Universe, but what do they
> know??), and everything will be copacetic.  (I love that word)
> --Evan Marcus {ucbvax|decvax}|vax135|petsd|pedsgd|pedsga|evan

Wouldn't this be in contradiction to the current state of the GoF,
according to the Animateds.  The planet that the Guardian resides on
is heavily garrisoned by the Federation, the Klingons, and the
Romulans.  And I believe that it takes willing permission from all
three powers to gain access, or else it's basically War.

I could possibly see why the Feds would want to do this - get the
Enterprise back, and without the original Kahn incident, the Genesis
project is still a totally Federation ballgame.

But why would the Klingons and especially the Romulans (who have not
involved themselves in this at all yet to our knowlege) concur with
the Federation to rewrite history of the Genesis Project.  They are
giving the Feds a very powerful weapon?

--
Walt Pesch
AT&T Technologies

wbpesch@ihuxp.UUCP (Walt Pesch) (05/06/85)

> Better yet would be to intervene at a point before Kahn takes over the
> Reliant. I hate to admit it, but this could be easily done. If Chekov had
> not been so insistant on looking for something "transplantable" on Ceti
> Alpha V, then he might have just stuck to the original goal of the mission
> (to find a lifeless planet) and ordered the Reliant to move on without
> anyone beaming down.
> John Ruschmeyer ...!vax135!petsd!moncol!john

Or perhaps they would try to take the "easy way" out, and just drop
back a few kilo's of anti-matter, to get rid of the entire problem of
Kahn.  But wait, the Guardian's getting a little rusty, and puts it on
the wrong planet.  Thereby causing it to fragment, shift Ceti Alpha
IV's orbit (Kahn's planet), and thereby the history that we now know.
And making the Federation responsible for the entire gumming up of the
works by Kahn.  It would explain a planet just happening to become
unstable at the time of Kahn just landing - geologically, it is rather
unlikely (actuall, the odds are ... :-)  It seems that Spock would
have noticed an unstable planet - it probably just doesn't occur
overnite.

Please forgive the Dr. Who quote in this group, but paraphrased,
"Time has a great deal of entropy - at best you nudge it a little.  It
takes a being of immense power to change the future" (Pyramids of
Mars, in reference to Sutec, being powerful enough to be on of the
Egyptian Gods among other things.)

--
Walt Pesch
AT&T Network Systems

mas@drutx.UUCP (SchwarzMA) (05/07/85)

Don't forget when Spock is ordered to return the Enterprise to Star Fleet
Command.  Beams down to a meeting with Star Fleet and the Enterprise receives
new orders, proclaiming that a new Captain has been assigned to the Enterprise
Captain Spock.

I like to think of all the possiblities Jim.

Mike Schwarz

chris@leadsv.UUCP (Chris Salander) (05/08/85)

rlz@scgvaxd.UUCP (Jeffry T. Rimpau) (05/09/85)

> Don't forget when Spock is ordered to return the Enterprise to Star Fleet
> Command.  Beams down to a meeting with Star Fleet and the Enterprise receives
> new orders, proclaiming that a new Captain has been assigned to the Enterprise
> Captain Spock.
>

> I like to think of all the possiblities Jim.
>
> Mike Schwarz

*  Since most people have been "what if"ing lately,here's another what if
    to ponder:
    what would happen if the genesis device were used against V"ger?
    I know many people would prefer to forget STI:TMP, but I would rather
    forget about battlestar dyslexia.

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (05/12/85)

>*  Since most people have been "what if"ing lately,here's another what if
>    to ponder:
>    what would happen if the genesis device were used against V"ger?
>    I know many people would prefer to forget STI:TMP, but I would rather
>    forget about battlestar dyslexia.
In STTMP, Captain Decker and his Deltan lover, Ilia, did a total-meld with
V'ger which then went on to expore other dimensions, etc.  Perhaps they
will drop in from time to time, or say "hi" to the Star Child (Dave Bowman).

The synthesis sequence in the movie ends with no sign of V'ger, and Earth
and the Enterprise intact.  I presume that V'ger is now an ephemeral sort
of critter, along the lines of an Organian.

Now, an interesting idea for ST-IV would be for V'ger to pay a return visit
and help Kirk with his Federation Troubles.

A recent leak about ST-IV suggests a story like MUDD I, which would be just
fine by me if well done.
--
Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX	..!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Omen Technology Inc 17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD Portland OR 97231

maverick@trwatf.UUCP (Mark D. Grover) (05/14/85)

The local rumor is that Samuel T. Cogley will defend JTK. I like it.

--
MDG   "I've been ionized... but I'm all right now." (B. Banzai)
				|	--- NOTE! ---
Current:			|	New ARPA Address (May 24):
ARPA: trwatf!maverick@SEISMO	|	grover@AIDS-UNIX
UUCP:...!seismo!trwatf!maverick	|	Advanced Info. & Decision Systems
TRW Defense Systems Group	|	Washington, DC technical office

In article <157@omen.UUCP> caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) writes:

>A recent leak about ST-IV suggests a story like MUDD I, which would be just
>fine by me if well done.
>--
	Fabulous, just *imagine* Harcourt Vincent Mudd rescueing
Kirk from a court-marshal!! Such delightful irony.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

{trwrb|allegra|cbosgd|hplabs|ihnp4|aero!uscvax!akgua}!sdcrdcf!psivax!friesen
or {ttdica|quad1|bellcore|scgvaxd}!psivax!friesen

rjnoe@riccb.UUCP (Roger J. Noe) (10/29/85)

> KIRK:  Disobeyed orders, stole a Starship.  Star Fleet wants his taffrail.
> But public acclaim at his results makes it impossible to can him.  What do
> military organizations do to brilliant officers who break the rules?
> Simple... they decorate him, and send him to command the most
> out-of-the-way hellhole assignment in existance.  Kirk accepts when Star
> Fleet offers to drop most of the charges against the rest of his crew.

Very likely what will happen, in my opinion.  The last sentence is particularly
in character.  It is important to keep in mind the positive things Kirk did in
Star Trek III.  The main one is quelling the "galactic controversy" that sprang
from the Genesis project.  Surely the Klingon scout ship has recordings on it
indicating Commander Kluge [:-) had orders to steal the Genesis secrets and
use it as a weapon against inhabited planets.  The authenticity of this will
be unimpeachable to everyone within the Federation.  No matter how the
Klingons rant on, all the Federation needs to worry about is dissent from
within.  Considering the difficult position they were in, I'm sure they'd
appreciate the help they got from Kirk.  And Genesis is lost forever, because
Kirk's son is the only one who knew how protomatter was used in it.  Only by
repeating the research can it be recovered.  But that's another story.

Also possible is Kirk's demotion (to Captain) and a new command, on a space
mission.  Controversy can be avoided because Kirk wants this anyway.  That
doesn't mean he'll get a new starship, especially not one named Enterprise,
but he just might get A ship.

> SPOCK:  Not guilty of anything.  However, most military organizations have
> regulations prohibiting dead people from holding commissions.  I doubt if
> Star Fleet bureaucracy could handle it.  The commander of Star Fleet summed
> it up in STIII:  "I don't understand Vulcan mysticism."  Spock's logical
> career?  Vulcan ambassador to the Federation.  Sarek has had it, he's gone
> Vulcan-senile.  An angry confrontation with Kirk in his quarters?  Saying
> at the rejuvenation ceremony, "The death of my son blinds my logic?"
> (approximate quote).

Not even approximate.  ". . . my logic is uncertain where my son is concerned."
But since they accomplished what Sarek asked for, it wasn't really illogical.
Imagine an instructor or boss assigning you something you had not yourself
done before although you had heard it had been done and you knew the general
procedure for doing so.  Would you say it was an illogical request?  No, you'd
probably say you'd try your best.  But I do agree that Sarek has had it, unless
they can direct him better.  If Spock is to become Vulcan ambassador, what will
happen to the current one?  Remember, Sarek was already retired at the time of
"Journey to Babel."  I think the Federation will be convinced by the Vulcan
Academy of Science (in a very logical manner, of course) of the scientific
basis of what occurred.  Admiral Morrow was displaying his own parochialism
when he made that comment about Vulcan "mysticism", an attitude which can
not pervade the United Federation of Planets, if we accept the "existence" of
that body.

> SAAVIK:  Federation aide-de-camp to Spock.  From what I've read (on the
> net) about her background, a good position for her.

No, I don't think so.  She'll probably remain in Starfleet, maybe as Uhura's
executive officer.  It's about time we got to see a ship with a mostly female
bridge crew.

> McCOY:  Star Fleet's not sure about him either.  But he passes his psyco
> boards.  He becomes concered about Kirk's reaction to his newest
> assignment, and about Kirk's seeming obsession of "making the Klingons pay"
> for David's death.  He arranges to follow Kirk into exile.

Not at all in character.  First off, just as Vulcan will convince everybody
about Spock, they'll also easily explain the side-effects of Spock's mind
meld with McCoy.  If Kirk has a ship, McCoy will probably be with him.  Other-
wise he'll be just an old country doctor.  No way will Kirk become obsessed
with David's death nor will he go into exile.

> SULU:  Starship command, of a heavy cruiser.  The last "Constitution" Class
> ship is due to be launched and Sulu gets it.  To capitalize on the public
> acclaim for Kirk, the ship is renamed "ENTERPRISE."  (This is to avoid
> having to show any more of those "Excelcior" abominations :-)  )

Nope, nope.  A Starship as a first command?  More like a scout or destroyer
class vessel.  But maybe he'll be punished for his participation in ST3 by
yanking his promotion back and he won't have a command at all.

> UHURA:  Starship command, scout class.  She has the seniority, and she's
> worked with the Federation's best commander.  Wouldn't it be neat if "Mr.
> Excitement" was assigned to her ship? :-)

Wouldn't it be interesting if he were her yeoman?  I think she could get him
"eating out of her hand" in no time and it will remain a mystery how Kirk
and company got aboard Enterprise.  No punishment for her and she'll get
a command.

> SCOTT:  Unfortunately for Scotty, Stiles has extensive connections and is
> furious.  Scotty has committed sabotage of a front-line ship.  They
> compromise on full retirement for Scott, who emigrates to the same planet
> where Kirk is assigned.

Probably not.  They'll chalk it up to bugs in a new system.  And it's not
a front-line ship, it's an experimental vessel, just about ready to begin
trial runs.  His punishment will be demotion to Commander.  Someone will
need a chief engineer on their ship.

> Special bonus Trivia Question:  Did Kirk
> *ever* use the exact words, "Beam me up, Scotty,"
> or is it another "Play it again, Sam"?

Are you also allowing "Scotty, beam me up"?  I'm pretty sure both were used.
I'll start checking videotapes.
--
"It's only by NOT taking the human race seriously that I retain what
 fragments of my once considerable mental powers I still possess!"

adolph@ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark Adolph) (10/31/85)

*** YOUR MESSAGE ***

> > SULU:  Starship command, of a heavy cruiser.  The last "Constitution" Class
> > ship is due to be launched and Sulu gets it.  To capitalize on the public
> > acclaim for Kirk, the ship is renamed "ENTERPRISE."  (This is to avoid
> > having to show any more of those "Excelcior" abominations :-)  )
>
> Nope, nope.  A Starship as a first command?  More like a scout or destroyer
> class vessel.  But maybe he'll be punished for his participation in ST3 by
> yanking his promotion back and he won't have a command at all.

What a minute.  Wasn't the Enterprise Kirk's first command?  I don't
remember specifics, but I recall reading somewhere that Kirk was the
youngest person to ever be awarded command of a starship.  I also recall
that in "Court Martial", he mentions that he asked for Finney aboard his
"first command".
--

					-- Mark A.
					...{uw-beaver|fluke}!ssc-vax!adolph

	"1 + 1 = 1, for sufficiently small values of 1..."

kayuucee@cvl.UUCP (Kenneth W. Crist Jr.) (11/02/85)

> > SULU:  Starship command, of a heavy cruiser.  The last "Constitution" Class
> > ship is due to be launched and Sulu gets it.

	I thought that all the CONSTITUTION Class ships were finished. Why
    build any more of them. They wanted to de-commission the ENTERPRISE.

> >  To capitalize on the public acclaim for Kirk, the ship is renamed
> > "ENTERPRISE."  (This is to avoid having to show any more of those
> >  "Excelcior" abominations :-)  )
>
> Nope, nope.  A Starship as a first command?  More like a scout or destroyer
> class vessel.  But maybe he'll be punished for his participation in ST3 by
> yanking his promotion back and he won't have a command at all.

	But, Sulu was going to be Captain of the EXCELSIOR until the events
in STII-TWOK caused the ENTERPRISE to return to Earth rather later than
expected. If Sulu does not get some kind of command in STIV, I will be very
surprised if George Takei is back for STV. I see no reason for a Captain
to be a helmsman. (Yes, I know he did it in STII, but that was a special
favor to Kirk.)

						Star-Lord

c50p-af@dorothy.Berkeley.EDU (Zig) (12/01/86)

Here's a few thoughts/questions/bitchings about the GREAT Star Trek IV--

Someone on the net asked about Kirk's new rank.  Although he is now a
captain like everyone else on his new bridge, he is also the captain of
his ship, and thus superior in rank to ANYONE on the Enterprise.  Even when
*Admiral* Kirk boards the big E in ST0:T(bad)MP, he requests permission from
*Captain* Spock.

I'd like to see the tech arguments avoided over things like the starships
slowing down in the starbase when the power goes out, radiation burning
out the communicators and phasers, sound is space, etc.  We're all smart
folk and all know about such stuff.  Just mark it up to creative cinematics
or pleasing the less-educated members of the audience.  This newsgroup is
already *quite* busy.

It'll be fun to see the *enormous* rash of .signatures affected by the
numerous great lines in the movie.  Sorry mine's not better, but "One
damn minute, Admiral" got taken already.  Damn.  :)

About time-contamination.  Even though the Klingon phaser and communicator
were kaputzski due to the radiation (weak cause, in my book--I'd mark it
up to crummy Klingon crastmanship :), maybe a good techie could open one
up and learn a thing or two.  I doubt a transporter would be built from it,
as someone mentioned earlier on the net, but SDI could learn a thing or two
from a hand-held version.  Kirk never had time to worry about time-
contamination.  He was busy with saving the world.  Besides, going back to
save Chekov was a very cool Star Trek thing to do.  The same thing to save
a Klingon Phasor just doesn't deserve the playing time.  This is a movie :)
(btw--I thought the backwards time-travel scene was a bit long and corny)

Now, enough scattered stuff.  The big question in the back of my mind is...

Where in the hell did Enterprise-2 come from?  If the Constellation class
was discontinued, (the big E *is* a Constellation Class, right?  I assume
the Constellation is NCC-1700 since classes are usually named after the
first ship off the production line), then the Federation was not set up
to grind out a starship in the short time it did.  Is E-2 a refitted
Constellation of different birth?  Did the Federation intend to replace
the big E when told of it's destruction?  That would give them another
three weeks on top of the two weeks max I'd give them between the saving
of Earth and the demotion of Kirk.

My friend noticed that the Enterprise enters warp the same way that
"bucket of bolts" Excelsior does in STIII.  But it has the same engine
pods as in ST0 and STII.  Is this observation false?  Or does the E now
have bigger and better capabilities.  After all, shouldn't Kirk have the
best ship in the fleet, just for popularity reasons?  (Although he'd
have it anyway, due to his crack crew, and Scotty's miracle working).

He also mentioned that two parent whales and their baby is not
exactly a fantastic genetic pool for breeding a healthy species of
humpback, but that's getting kinda picky.  After all, now that the
Earth's saved, who cares about them? :)

Okay, I'm surprised you've read this far.  *PLEASE* delete all
unneeded lines from this is you're gonna include it in a posting--
Keep quotes small (or better yet, paraphrase--I'm too long-winded).

"Set phasers on flame..."
--------------------
UUCP:  c50p-af@dorothy.berkeley.edu.UUCP

"Scotty, now would be a good time..."

okamoto@ucbvax.UUCP (12/01/86)

First things first: I LOVED IT

I heartily recommend the novelization of the movie.  It adds to the
movie considerably (for instance, another reason Spock does a rather
funny (and illogical) thing).

Something mentioned in the book: Kirk at one time had commanded a
ship called the (get this): _Lydia Sutherland_*.  This ship was lost
but Kirk was "the hero" and so got off scot-free.  It would be
VERY interesting to get a complete chronology of Kirk's career.

* For you landlubbers, _Lydia_ is the frigate commanded by Captain
Horatio Hornblower when he went to Central America while the
_Sutherland_ is the ship commanded by the aforementioned Captain
Hornblower.  He struck his colors (surrendered) only after dismasting
one ship and seriously damaging three others.

SPOILER WARNING, type 'n' now or else

Did Saavik's last line seem a bit _vindictive_ to you?  It did to me.
Of course we all know the rumor that Saavik is pregnant by Spock....

Spock and Sarek have FINALLY made up!

Regarding the Enterprise, my opinion is that what is now the Enterprise
was at one time another ship of the CONSTITUTION-II class (ie, built
with all the new technology that they refitted the old Enterprise with)
that they renamed/renumbered.  The reason Starfleet Commander Morrow
gave for the decommissioning of the Enterprise was that it was more
than twenty years old (God knows this is a SHORT time, think of the
U.S.S. New Jersey).

I agree, Scotty looked FAT.  I guess James Doohan is getting old too.

Agreed.  The artist who did the flyer should be shot.  San Francisco
is on the wrong side of the bridge....

"This mint contains sucrose, Admiral"

The New Number Who,	okamoto@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
Jeff Okamoto		..!ucbvax!okamoto