[net.rec.scuba] Divers' Knives

wmartin@brl-vgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (03/12/84)

From: wmartin@brl-vgr.ARPA (Will Martin )
Newsgroups: net.rec.scuba
Subject: Divers' Knives
Date: Fri, 17-Feb-84 15:11:08 EST

Greetings!

As a non-diving knife collector, who has accumulated a number of
different styles of divers' knives over the past few years, I was
wondering what real divers look for and want in a knife.  For
example, the older or more traditional style of a large blade with
a heavy rubber or plastic handle and a pommel suitable for hammering
has been joined by the skeleton-style small knife, like the Tekna.
Which is better and why?

The traditional larger knife comes with many different blade styles --
which features do you find really useful and which are superfluous?
For example, the screwdriver-style tip instead of the sharp-tipped
spear or bowie-shaped blade, the gut-hook sharpened notch, different
styles of serrations, and a lanyard loop -- what do you think of
these features or choices?  What about serrations -- do you want more
plain edge, more serrated, or equal amounts?  Do you really do much
cutting with the knife, or do you use it mostly for prying and pounding?

Regards,

Will Martin

PS -- If you recall seeing this question on this newsgroup sometime
around a year ago, my apologies -- I was on a host that lost its
USENET connection and I had tried to submit this topic then, but
never knew if it made it out to the network. WM