[net.rec.scuba] Equipment Recommendations Needed

eve@ssc-bee.UUCP (Michael Eve) (10/29/84)

> I am interested in purchasing the following scuba equipment:
>
>    regulator
>    gauage/control cluster
>    bc and backpack
>    tank(s)
>    alternate air supply
>
> I plan on purchasing the items new, although I would appreciate any
> feedback regarding which items may be "safely" purchased second hand.

Used steel tanks are usually safe. First, check the manufacture date.
Remember that the tank is hydroed every 5 years (if in service). Next,
check when the next hydro is required.  Figure about $15 for the hydro
and the chance the tank will fail.  Then remove the valve after draining
the tank and check for rust (or, gasp, water!) inside.  More than minor
spotting will require tumbling for a few bucks more.

If the tank looks good, and is not too old (I don't know how old this is),
make him an offer.  I have purchased 15 year old steel 72's for $30 each,
and I prefer them to my new, aluminum 80's (too large).

Buying a used aluminum tank is a more risky proposition.

Do not buy any tank that has a protective liner inside the tank (teflon
was once a popular choice).  The liners inevitably leak and trap in moisture.
Then the tank has to be tumbled to remove the liner.

You may find a good buy on a used regulator.  I would take any used regulator
regardless of age to a dive shop for an overhaul. Depending on parts required,
this runs $25-$50 or more.

This is a good time of year to buy used equipment (at least in the colder
areas).

--
	Mike Eve     Boeing Aerospace, Seattle
	...uw-beaver!ssc-vax!ssc-bee!eve

gmm@bunker.UUCP (Gregory M. Mandas) (10/30/84)

> I am interested in purchasing the following scuba equipment:
>
>    regulator
>    gauage/control cluster
>    bc and backpack
>    tank(s)
>    alternate air supply
>
> I plan on purchasing the items new, although I would appreciate any
> feedback regarding which items may be "safely" purchased second hand.
> Any recommendations regarding which brands/models of the above would
> be appreciated.

I cann't remember the name of the place right off hand, but there is a
place in Valdosta Ga. that sells everything mail order. I purchased my
Sherwood (SP?) equipment there at greatly reduced prices and they paid
the UPS bill.

I will find out their name and forward it to you.

I have the Seatec BLUEFIN bc and the rest is Sherwood. I am VERY happy
with the Breathability, and reliability of my setup.

Greg Mandas

waag@trwrb.UUCP (Timothy M. Waag) (10/31/84)

<lobster monster>

I am interested in purchasing the following scuba equipment:

   regulator
   gauage/control cluster
   bc and backpack
   tank(s)
   alternate air supply

I plan on purchasing the items new, although I would appreciate any
feedback regarding which items may be "safely" purchased second hand.
Any recommendations regarding which brands/models of the above would
be appreciated.

Also, I have heard that mail order scuba gear is available.  Does anyone
have a company name, telephone number or address?  Has anyone successfully
purchased scuba gear via mail order? (or unsuccessfully?).  ANY HELP WOULD
BE APPRECIATED (NOTE: I admit to laziness and have not begun a detailed
equipment evaluation, although I have visited several local shops recently
for that purpose).

Also, any recommendations on dive shops in the Los Angeles area for purchase
and/or recommendations on equipment may also be helpful.

Thanks "in advance" (of course!)

Tim Waag
213.372-4269
213.535-3580
{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4,hplabs,...}trwrb!waag

gmm@bunker.UUCP (Gregory M. Mandas) (10/31/84)

> I cann't remember the name of the place right off hand, but there is a
> place in Valdosta Ga. that sells everything mail order. I purchased my
> Sherwood (SP?) equipment there at greatly reduced prices and they paid
> the UPS bill.
>
> I will find out their name and forward it to you.

I found the name of the mail order place in Georia:

	Sub-Aqua Specialties
	2236 Bemis Road
	Valdosta, Ga 31601

	1-800-841-4443 (US Watts)
	1-800-342-7156 (GA Watts)

When I was buying scuba gear I used this place and saved $$$.
I was able to wait until they had a special. I ordered one of
their package deals which had a tank, back-pack and regulator
for far below their individual prices combined.
As I remember, they were expanding into electronics.
Ask them to put you on their mailing list and to send you the
current price list.

One word of warning. If you live in an area where you can count the
dive shops on one hand, they might not like it when the guy
who was asking all those questions last week about scuba gear comes
in with a completly brand new outfit and ask to have his tanks filled.
You are buying from a national retailer who does not need the profit
margin your local dive shop needs to stay afloat. (no pun intended)

Greg Mandas
ittvax!bunker!gmm

gmm@bunker.UUCP (Gregory M. Mandas) (11/02/84)

> > I am interested in purchasing the following scuba equipment:
> >
> >    regulator
> >    gauage/control cluster
> >    bc and backpack
> >    tank(s)
> >    alternate air supply
> >
> > I plan on purchasing the items new, although I would appreciate any
> > feedback regarding which items may be "safely" purchased second hand.
>

>    { Edited out of the replay were two very good paragraphs on how
>      to purchase steel tanks. }
>
> Buying a used aluminum tank is a more risky proposition.

I read this to mean that you run a higher risk of purchasing a bum
tank if it is aluminum than if it is steel. Could you explain this.
All of the material I have read on the subject points to aluminum
tanks being far better then steel tanks.

Greg Mandas
ittvax!bunker!gmm

les@proper.UUCP (Les Kent) (11/03/84)

I have been using a Tekna regulator for almost two years and have found it
to be a very nice regulator.  What I consider to be its biggest asset is
it has a very unique mechinisiam for air intake that needs very little force
to get it to give air.  I have found that many regulaters you have to work
at breathing.  The ease of breathing very much helps on lowering air
consumption.  One thing that people have complained about the regulator
is that it "chatters" when you are in the 0-20 ft range.  This is true
when you first start to use it.  This symptom is causes by fast air intakes.
After using it you start to develop a long slow breathing cycle and this
stops the chattering all together and also is much more effecient on air.
Nowadays when I go diving with others I always have the most air left and
because of this I now dive with a 50CF tank when everyone else have 80's.
Part of this is I have always had low air consumption but I have noticed
improvment.

Other equipment that I own and have been very happy with are:

	o Bluewater wet suit.  This was really an amazing suit when I
	  got it.  Very stretchable material that was as easy as putting
	  on "normal" clothes.  Make sure you get new materials that are
	  very stretchable.  It makes the dufference between comfort and
	  a bad diving expereince.

	o Sea Quest BC. This has been a very good BC and have not had
	  any problems.  It has a nice combination of pockets and also
	  straps to keep hoses in place and a convienent strap to keep
	  your console right in front of you so you can see it when you
	  need to.

Other equipment I have had such as glove, booties and tanks don't seem
to differ very much and thus are'nt worth mentioning.  One note for
gloves.  I went thru my first set in less then 4 months.  Part of this
was diving in Hawaii with lots of coral but even in california they
were getting beat up pretty quick.  There is this sealent stuff that is
used for fixing holes.  I can't remember the name now and Im all out.
It is somewhat like an epoxy but is flexible.  Anyway you should be
able to find it in the dive shops.  Well what I did was completely
coat the front side of the fingers with extra at the tips of the fingers
and the seams so there is a solid 1/8" thick coat of this durable
coating.  Since then they have shown no signs of wear in over 2 years!

	Les Kent
	{dual,qantel,intelca,nsc,amdahl}!proper!les