[net.rec.scuba] human reaction to decompression

romain@pyrnj.uucp (Romain Kang) (12/15/85)

In article <6680@duke.UUCP>, crm@duke.UUCP (Charlie Martin) writes:
> When someone makes a Momsen-lung ascent from a submarine (which is
> effectively identical to the Boyant Ascent story, and has been around
> since WWII -- sometimes SF is behind fact!) they need to let air out of
> their lungs continuously for just that reason.
>    People make rapid ascents of 33 feet in water every day:
>    SCUBA divers do it all the time.  If they have not been
>    down long enough to get a lot of extra dissolved N_2, they
>    don't even particularly notice, much less explode.

I believe the standard escape procedure from submarines trapped in
sufficently shallow water is "blow-and-go": the Momsen lung requires a
slow ascent, which is difficult given the body's natural buoyancy.
Blow-and-go is supposed to be safer; you just have to remember to keep
continually exhaling through your nose, or your lungs will rupture.  If
your sub is trapped too deep for blow-and-go, then the Navy has to
borrow a C-141 from the Military Airlift Command to fly a DSRV to the
nearest USN sub that can piggyback it to you and rescue you and your
buddies; in the event of war, you probably get all sorts of posthumous
honors.  But I digress.  (I read this as an 11-year-old in some book
about submarine service training, but I imagine the procedures haven't
changed since then.)  At any rate, I think the Momsen lung is obsolete.

Can anyone in net.rec.scuba verify this?

--
Romain Kang, Pyramid Technology Corporation

US Mail:	900 Route 9, Woodbridge, NJ  07095
Ma Bell:	(201) 750-2626
UUCPnet:	{allegra,cmcl2,pyramid,topaz}!pyrnj!romain

"Eggheads unite! You have nothing to lose but your yolks!" -Adlai Stevenson