[net.rec.scuba] Rod Rucker Dives again

rrb@ptsfb.UUCP (Ray Barbour) (12/23/85)

>>From: rrr@ptsfb.UUCP (Rod Rucker)
>Newsgroups: net.rec.scuba
>Subject: menacing fish

>I was recently diving at Point Lobos in California at a dive spot
>called Coal Shute.  It is a wonderful place to dive with a
>multitude of sea life.  Coal Shute is interesting diving because
>of the many caves in the area.  In one of the caves that my dive
>partner and I entered, there was a large animal.

>Its head was as big as my chest, and the body extended back into
>the dark.  We approached within 7 or 8 feet and put a light on it.

>It had many smiling teeth, and light from its eyes shown back reflected
>from the dive light.  I was lucky enough to have my nikonos with me and
>took a couple of pictures.

>I thought it was a variety of grouper that had strayed into the area
>because of its size, but it had the head of a California Moray.

>Does anyone know how big these things get?  Its body was hidden behind
>rocks and difficult to see in the dark, but the head of this monster
>was awesome.

>Rod Rucker

Rod,

I may be able to help you in your quest to find a name for this
LARGE ANIMAL you saw, but first I need to ask a few questions.

1. Do you drink before you dive?

2. Were you at a depth greater then 100 feet?

3. How small is your chest?

4. Has your dive partner ever been known to turn on you?

5. Would you please describe SMILING TEETH?

6. Did you take pictures of this LARGE ANIMAL?

7. Do you think it was (a) a LARGE ANIMAL (b) a MONSTER
   or (c) a awesome monster with smiling teeth that is also
   a large animal.

If the pictures turn out you may be able to find a book
at a local dive shop that will answer your question, if not
please answer the above questions.

By the way divers should always carry a knife, if sharks are around
you cut your partner (never dive with someone that can swim faster
than you) and swim for the boat.
--

uucp={ihnp4,ucbvax,cbosgd,decwrl,amd,fortune,zehntel}!dual!ptsfa!ptsfb!rrb
voice=415 774-1320