[net.rec.scuba] Casio watch anomaly

pfeiffer@uwvax.UUCP (Phil Pfeiffer) (02/28/86)

I finally discovered last month why my 50m Casio watch periodically "reset"
itself, after I took off my sweater and noticed that the watch read
12:00 midnight, Sunday, 1 January.

[I've owned this watch for four years, and I've seen it reset itself
"at random" at irregular intervals (mostly during the winter!) and even
scramble the "days of the week" display
(e.g., MU(nday), TE(sday), WH(sday), TR(sday), etc.) ].

Peace of mind at last.

--

-- Phil Pfeiffer

...!{harvard,ihnp4,seismo,topaz}!uwvax!pfeiffer
(608) 263-7308

carey@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (03/03/86)

/* Written 12:22 pm  Feb 28, 1986 by pfeiffer@uwvax.UUCP in uiucdcs:net.rec.scuba */
/* ---------- "Casio watch anomaly" ---------- */
I finally discovered last month why my 50m Casio watch periodically "reset"
itself, after I took off my sweater and noticed that the watch read
12:00 midnight, Sunday, 1 January.

--

I have had several digital watches that have done the same thing, so
I would be interested to know what the reason is -- you didn't say

pfeiffer@uwvax.UUCP (Phil Pfeiffer) (03/05/86)

In article <12000007@uiucdcs>, carey@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU writes:

>> I finally discovered last month why my 50m Casio watch periodically "reset"
>> itself, after I took off my sweater ....
>
> I have had several digital watches that have done the same thing, so
> I would be interested to know what the reason is -- you didn't say
> so in your note.  Can you enlighten us?

I said why in the "keywords" part of the message:  static!
Here's a followup message I received from another netter on this matter:

--

greg@utcsri.UUCP (Gregory Smith) (03/06/86)

In article <12000007@uiucdcs> carey@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU writes:
>/* ---------- "Casio watch anomaly" ---------- */
>>I finally discovered last month why my 50m Casio watch periodically "reset"
>>itself, after I took off my sweater and noticed that the watch read
                  ^^^^ ^^^ ^^ ^^^^^^^
>>12:00 midnight, Sunday, 1 January.
>
>I have had several digital watches that have done the same thing, so
>I would be interested to know what the reason is -- you didn't say
>so in your note.  Can you enlighten us?

Yes he did. 'Static' was also mentioned later in the article.
--
"So this is it. We're going to die."	- Arthur Dent
Greg Smith     University of Toronto       ..!decvax!utzoo!utcsri!greg

flackc@stolaf.UUCP (Chap Flack) (03/08/86)

Another potential diagnosis for others with similar problems:
My Casio told me that its battery needed replacement by continuing
to keep perfect time but turning the days of the week into
Sonday, Muesday, Tednesday, Whursday, Triday, Faturday, Sunday
(respectively).

"It must be Whursday.  I never could get the hang of Whursdays."
--
---------------------
Chap Flack				ihnp4!stolaf!agnes!flackc

mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (MKR) (03/10/86)

In article <669@uwvax.UUCP> pfeiffer@uwvax.UUCP (Phil Pfeiffer) writes:
>I finally discovered last month why my 50m Casio watch periodically "reset"
>itself, after I took off my sweater and noticed that the watch read
>12:00 midnight, Sunday, 1 January.
>
>[I've owned this watch for four years, and I've seen it reset itself
>"at random" at irregular intervals (mostly during the winter!) and even
>scramble the "days of the week" display
>(e.g., MU(nday), TE(sday), WH(sday), TR(sday), etc.) ].
>
>-- Phil Pfeiffer

I used to have a watch like that! I finally noticed that it had the greatest
tendency to act up on hot, muggy summer days (when I'd sweat a lot).

--
					--MKR

If Man were meant to use the metric system, Jesus would have had
10 disciples.