[net.micro.68k] UniPress System V for Lisa, reviews?

mats@dual.UUCP (Mats Wichmann) (09/27/84)

Slow disks on the Lisa? I don't know what YOU all expect, but any
disk running through a parallel port is bound to be slow. Or
have they finally cleaned it up on the Lisa 2? Someone is
bound to be making a disk controller that will acheive decent
performance, but I can't remember any names right now.
Help????

	    Mats Wichmann
	    Dual Systems Corp.
	    ...{ucbvax,amd,ihnp4,cbosgd,decwrl,fortune}!dual!mats

reha@orion.UUCP (R.GUR) (09/27/84)

I have seen some requests for information and since no one has replied I
might as well. I have a lisa 1 with the 2/5 upgrade running the UniPress
System V.

Yes, the system is not fast. A typical compile & load for a small
program is about 30 seconds. I use the original Profile 5 meg disk. I should
warn you that 5 meg just don't cut it with UNIX.

There are disks with more capacity and speed sold by Unipress but they are
pricey. I think they sell Corvus 20megs and Sunol 15 to 45 megs. They claim
a four-fold improvement in access times, but I would have to see
that to believe it.

vax135!orion!reha

rpw3@redwood.UUCP (Rob Warnock) (09/28/84)

+---------------
| Slow disks on the Lisa? I don't know what YOU all expect, but any
| disk running through a parallel port is bound to be slow...
|
|     Mats Wichmann
|     Dual Systems Corp.
|     ...{ucbvax,amd,ihnp4,cbosgd,decwrl,fortune}!dual!mats
+---------------

Not necessarily as bad as you make it sound. It is possible that the Lisa's
PIO was so hard to program that no possible improvement could be made in the
performance, but I doubt that. (The 32:16's early PIO [see below] was about
as plain as one could get, and it did o.k.)

It is more likely that it was a quick & dirty port of a "standard" kernel,
without a lot of time spent tuning. [Anyone who actually worked on the
port want to comment on that?]

As a partial counter-example, the first units of the Fortune Systems 32:16
(the ones that went to dealers for demos) had an off-the-shelf SASI-to-ST506
controller board (I forget whose), driven byte-at-a-time by a simple non-DMA
parallel port.  (The custom DMA-based controller wasn't ready yet.) While
it was certainly much slower than the final production hardware/software
combination, surprisingly little of that was due to the parallel interface.
The major improvements were in selecting the proper "software interlace", and
certain changes to the handling of the disk buffer cache. As I recall (and just
confirmed by a quick back-of-the-envelope calculation), the overhead of the
byte-at-a-time interface was about 10 milliseconds/block. (block = 1024 byte)

Now while 10 ms/blk of CPU time sounds horrendous, remember that this was
on early ST506-type disks with an average access of ~100 ms., rotational
latency of 16.66+ ms., 2-4 heads/cylinder (compared to 8 or more today),
and a non-tuned filesystem/buffer-cache of "several" milliseconds processing
per request. I doubt if the parallel port cost more than 10-15% in overall
performance.  Particularly in a single-user situation, I doubt the average
user would notice.

(Tuning the interlace got them at least a 50% improvement. Using faster
access-time disks was worth nearly the exact ratio of access times, in
multi-user scenarios.  8-head disks bought a few percent, particularly
in swapping and program loading, since there was more data under the
heads as a result of each seek.)

The Lisa, however, at least the one I saw at a show sitting side-by-side
with a Radio Shack Model 16, BOTH running Xenix... the Lisa was a dog.
Compile times for a short program were easily double that of the Mod 16
(and maybe worse), while the Mod 16 and the Fortune had similar times
(19-22 seconds, now down to about 9 sec. for the Fortune System XP with
30ms. disks).

This points up the usual error in performance analysis -- pointing the
finger at that feature which is the most visible and for which the pointer
has the greatest personal distaste. The one lesson I have learned and seen
others learn again and again in this area is: performance is not a field
where (untrained) intuition is very accurate. [I put the "(untrained)" in
there because I have met performance-analysis people who had laboriously
trained their intuition to give reasonable results. For myself, I know just
enough to know not to trust it.]

True story:
A long time ago, I used to help design/sell/support terminal multiplexer
systems, tranferring character-at-a-time/interrupt-per-character (like a
DZ-11), that outperformed by a factor of 2 a competing front-end system
with co-processors, DMA, and fancy command queues -- simply because the
fancy system had too high an overhead in the setting-up and tearing-down
of requests.  Yet customers sometimes were convinced (by the other guy)
that DMA "had to be" faster. It was, for that tiny fraction of time
spent actually passing data across the interface. But the total system
overhead was less in the non-DMA system (INCLUDING the host CPU time),
and the overhead wasn't in the critical path of the inner loop of sending
characters, so the net performance of the non-DMA system was much better.

(Of course, knowing what we did about the critical paths, we could have
built a DMA-based system that would have been faster than BOTH the others...
but its cost/performance didn't look as good as the non-DMA version.)

So I remain curious about WHY the Lisa disks are so slow, and unconvinced
it was (entirely) the fault of the byte-parallel interface.

Rob Warnock

UUCP:	{ihnp4,ucbvax!amd}!fortune!redwood!rpw3
DDD:	(415)369-7437
Envoy:	rob.warnock/kingfisher
USPS:	Suite 203, 4012 Farm Hill Blvd, Redwood City, CA  94061

bytebug@pertec.UUCP (roger long) (09/28/84)

> From: aam@pucc-h (Dwight McKay)
> Does the UniPress port *really* provide a "full"
> system V (right down to things like LISP, and nice toys like rogue) or is it
> stripped bare like the TRS-80 mod 16 Xenix?

Since when are LISP and rogue provided with System V?

> I'd also like information on this product's performance (is it nice but a
> real "dog"?, etc) and its support of all that nice Lisa hardware (eg. the
> bit-mapped graphics and mouse).

I really couldn't say how the System V port performs, but if you look at the
August '84 issue of BYTE, there is an article on "Benchmarking UNIX Systems".
The Lisa (running System III) is one of the machines that they test, and it
appears to be the slowest of all the systems.  The main problem appears to
be the speed of the winchester.  Does anyone else make a winchester for the
LISA?
--
	roger long
	pertec computer corp

marc@wlcrjs.UUCP (Marc Lavine) (10/08/84)

> There are disks with more capacity and speed sold by Unipress but they are
> pricey. I think they sell Corvus 20megs and Sunol 15 to 45 megs. They claim
> a four-fold improvement in access times, but I would have to see
> that to believe it.

I think that such increases in speed could be possible in disk-intensive
programs.  The Profile is an awfully slow drive (some people say its the
interface, but I don't know for sure).  Does anyone have any information on
the average access time and data transfer rate of the hard disk drive used in
the Lisa 2/10 system?
--
			Marc Lavine
uucp:	...ihnp4!wlcrjs!marc