From: ihnp4!amd!sco!dwight
Subject: UniPress System V for Lisa, reviews?
	Granted, XENIX is System III and not System V. However,
	we have a very full package for it (including a LAN, in
	the full standard package). From the comments that we're
	recieving from customers, they are very pleased with
	not only the quality of the software, and it's spectrum,
	but also with the level of support that we offer.

	Ignoring my obvious bias for our XENIX, I personally
	believe that it's the best UNIX implementation availible
	for the lisa, especially when one considers all that we
	have to offer for it.

	As I mentioned earlier, I do all of my development directly
	on the Lisa. I think that the Lisa is an outstanding
	workstation environment. And I've found that the multi-screen
	capability of our XENIX makes it into an incredibly powerful tool.

We support the Lisa 2. I believe that we currently ship with
just the profile disks (both 5 and 10 mb). However,
support will be availible in the near future for running
some of the other hard disk systems that are around.

Personally, if I were buying one, I'd stay away from the
Apple Profile disks. They are *slow*. One can get a reasonable
amount of work done; but there are times when it gets a little
frustrating. You should really play around with one for
yourself and see how you like the feel of it.

For a low-cost disk system, with a reasonable amount of
response time and storage, the disks like the Sunol and
the Corvus come to mind. These run about $2-3K, and are
much better than the Profile. Check with our marketing
departments about the specifics of availibility. The
address is below. Xenix on the Lisa is pretty hot, with
a lot of software thrown in. Check out the multi-screen
capability, as it makes backgrounding obsolete.

-----
Dwight also included the address of SCO where he says folks should write for
further information, etc.  It is:

	SCO
	500 Chestnut St.
	Santa Cruz, Calif
	95061
	(408)425-7222

UniPress also replied.  They were a bit more terse and had this to say:

From: Mike Gallaher <ucbvax!allegra!sunrise!unipress!mg>
Subject: Re: UniPress System V for Lisa, reviews?

"UniPress UNIX" is really the UniSoft 68K port of System V.  It
contains the full SysV distribution minus stuff like online manuals and
accounting software (they are there, but do not fit on the disk).  We
don't have Lisp, but we do have lots of other stuff like Emacs.  It is
not stripped down, a la Radio Shack.  Performance is about what you
would expect from a 1 Meg 68K at 5 MHz (it's not a Sun!) but it is OK
for one or two users.  The bit map is accessible through the phys sys
call, and the mouse is accessible through /dev/mouse.  This is not a
bad choice at university discounts.

--------
Commentary (my own opinion on the above):
	I was surpirised how few responces I got (six, two of them from SCO,
two asking me to post results.).  I guess few folks are using Lisa's to run
UNIX and have a net connection.
	The XENIX release from SCO sounds well supported but I've got a bais
against XENIX, although I wish someone else out there could give me another
glowing report.  I'm almost tempted to get it.  I'm not happy with the System
V report, although I'd like to try it out and compare it with XENIX in terms
of performance.
	Me?  Well, I'm still getting the money together for the Lisa to run
all this nice stuff so I'm going to keep on researching this.  I hope this
helps inform those of you who were interested enough to read this lengthy
reply.  Thanks.  -Dwight McKay

--
-- Dwight McKay, PUCC user services
-- {decvax|harpo|ihnp4|inuxc|seismo|ucbvax}!pur-ee!Pucc-H:aam