[net.micro.68k] 32016 bug summary wanted..

srm@nsc.UUCP (Richard Mateosian) (12/06/84)

In article <255@oakhill.UUCP> davet@oakhill.UUCP (Dave Trissel) writes:

>  It may interest you all to know about the pot calling the kettle. It seems
>lately that our customers are telling us that someone at National is
>spreading the rumor that the MC68020 is actually an NMOS, and *NOT* a CHMOS
>machine.
>
>Also, the same felon has had the nerve to personally post this weak excuse
>of a rumor to me.

Well, I haven't been telling any of Motorola's customers this story, but
I did send Dave some mail asking if it were true.

The source of the *rumor* that reached me was a Motorola public seminar on the
68020 given here in Sunnyvale on Oct 16th 1984. Someone from MOTOROLA --
obviously misinformed -- said that the 68020 was in HMOS, not HCMOS.  When
questioned closely on this point, the same MOTOROLA person -- obviously
halucinating -- told a long involved story about a failure of the HCMOS
project in Feb 84 and a parallel backup effort in HMOS that produced the
current parts.

Let me repeat that I haven't told any of Motorola's customers this story.
Furthermore, every Motorola person I've discussed it with has denied it
emphatically and convincingly. In fact, until Dave's recent posting, I'd
forgotten about it and decided it wasn't true.
--
Richard Mateosian
{cbosgd,decwrl,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!srm    nsc!srm@decwrl.ARPA