[net.micro.68k] 286 vs. 68k

bjorn@dataio.UUCP (Bjorn Benson) (06/03/85)

Enough is enough!!!

I propose that we start a new newsgroup "net.micro.68vs286" so that
all you people who enjoy discussing benchmarks, registers, segments,
clock cycles and other marketing hype can do so away from the rest of
us.  I am member of the user community, not the argueing community.

					Bjorn Benson
					..!uw-beaver!entropy!dataio!bjorn

bill@persci.UUCP (06/04/85)

>Enough is enough!!!
>
>I propose that we start a new newsgroup "net.micro.68vs286" so that
>all you people who enjoy discussing benchmarks, registers, segments,
>clock cycles and other marketing hype can do so away from the rest of
>us.  I am member of the user community, not the argueing community.
>
>					Bjorn Benson
>					..!uw-beaver!entropy!dataio!bjorn
I second the motion!! I am just about ready to unsubscribe from this group.
(Perhaps it should be called net.flame.micro :-)

--
Bill Swan 	{ihnp4,decvax,allegra,...}!uw-beaver!tikal!persci!bill

srm@nsc.UUCP (Richard Mateosian) (06/07/85)

In article <675@dataio.UUCP> bjorn@dataio.UUCP (Bjorn Benson) writes:

>I propose that we start a new newsgroup "net.micro.68vs286" so that
>all you people who enjoy discussing benchmarks, registers, segments,
>clock cycles and other marketing hype can do so away from the rest of
>us.

I second the motion--only let's call it net.micro.compet.  I think that
there is a legitimate place on the net for discussion of the pros and cons
of various architectures/implementations, and I think that the people who
just want solid technical info about their specific micro/language ought
to be able to read the appropriate newsgroup without having to wade through
the competitive material.
--
Richard Mateosian
{cbosgd,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!srm    nsc!srm@decwrl.ARPA

nather@utastro.UUCP (Ed Nather) (06/07/85)

> In article <675@dataio.UUCP> bjorn@dataio.UUCP (Bjorn Benson) writes:
> >
> >I propose that we start a new newsgroup "net.micro.68vs286" so that
> >all you people who enjoy discussing benchmarks, registers, segments,
> >clock cycles and other marketing hype can do so away from the rest of
> >us.
>
> I second the motion--only let's call it net.micro.compet.  I think that
> there is a legitimate place on the net for discussion of the pros and cons
> of various architectures/implementations, and I think that the people who
> just want solid technical info about their specific micro/language ought
> to be able to read the appropriate newsgroup without having to wade through
> the competitive material.
> --
> Richard Mateosian

I thought that's what net.arch was for in the first place.  It's why I read it.
There is no better way to learn details of the "uglies" in a particular
architecture, and their consequences, than to read a debate by two competitors.
I say, let the flames roll on ...

--
Ed Nather
Astronony Dept, U of Texas @ Austin

clif@intelca.UUCP (Clif Purkiser) (06/07/85)

> Enough is enough!!!
>
> I propose that we start a new newsgroup "net.micro.68vs286" so that
> all you people who enjoy discussing benchmarks, registers, segments,
> clock cycles and other marketing hype can do so away from the rest of
> us.  I am member of the user community, not the argueing community.
>
> 					Bjorn Benson
> 					..!uw-beaver!entropy!dataio!bjorn

	I think Bjorn is correct in fairness to all of the people who
don't care how fast or slow (in the case of the 680xx or 320xx) a
manufacturer's processor is.  I think we shouldn't limit it just
to the 80286 vs the 68020, so why not call it net.micro.benchmarks.

--
Clif Purkiser, Intel, Santa Clara, Ca.
HIGH PERFORMANCE MICROPROCESSORS

{standard disclaimer about how these views are mine and may not reflect
the views of Intel, my boss , or USNET goes here. }

jty@tut.UUCP (Jyrki Yli-Nokari) (06/10/85)

In article <persci.182> bill@persci.UUCP writes:
>>Enough is enough!!!

Sure is!!

3 votes from jty jv and hmj@tut.UUCP

>(Perhaps it should be called net.flame.micro :-)
Yes!
Or move the whole discussion to net.flame. It really belongs there!
--
FORTH makes my days!

...mcvax!tut!jty

Jyrki Yli-Nokari
N 61 26' E 23 50'
+358 31 162590, home +358 31 178833

brooks@lll-crg.ARPA (Eugene D. Brooks III) (06/12/85)

Is there a way to have vnews skip items such as the N'th iteration on
something as the 286 vs 68k battle?  I can't take it any more!  My line
is only 1200 baud and n just doesn't work that fast.  Help in this matter
would be greatly appreciated!
							Thanks,
							Eugene

dibble@rochester.UUCP (06/12/85)

> Or move the whole discussion to net.flame. It really belongs there!

I find the discussion at least a little informative.  True, there is more
noise than light but even the noise is sort of fun.  The participants in
the discussion are polite and present organized (if biased) arguments.
In this discussion I've seen the first information I've encountered about
the 80386.

I like seeing people who seem to know discuss the rational behind the design
for the 8086.

If this information about microprocessors and computer architecture was
mixed with the junk on net.flame, I'd never see it.

These notes are clearly marked by the subject line.  When I get bored of this
discussion I'll stop reading them.

Finally if the discussion of the merits of microprocessors is moved to
a separate news group the lack of this critical audience would probably
either make the contestants shut up or sink to simple name calling.

I say: keep them here where we can keep an eye on them.

bjorn@dataio.UUCP (Bjorn Benson) (06/12/85)

In article <127@peregrine.UUCP> mike@peregrine.UUCP (Mike Wexler) writes:

>> In article <675@dataio.UUCP> bjorn@dataio.UUCP (Bjorn Benson) writes:
>> >Enough is enough!!!
>> >
>> >I propose that we start a new newsgroup "net.micro.68vs286" ...
>>
>> I vote YES.
>
>How about creating a moderated group?

As the originator of this I would like to point out that a moderated
newsgroup would not work for this "hot" topic.  The moderator would
prevent people from posting flames, insults, biased benchmarks,
advertisements, etc.  However these people would just post them
elsewhere instead (like here!).

In other words a moderator net.micro.68vs286 (or whatever) would not
serve the purpose of cleaning up these newsgroups.

				Bjorn Benson
				..!uw-beaver!entropy!dataio!bjorn

P.S. And if you chose a moderator would he have an 80*86 or 68k
     system? :-)

bc@cyb-eng.UUCP (Bill Crews) (06/14/85)

If there has ever been a topic as totally burned out, dead, and deserving of
being dropped, THIS IS IT!

Please have mercy upon your follow net readers; keep your opinions on this
subject.

--

  /  \    Bill Crews
 ( bc )   Cyb Systems, Inc

[ gatech | ihnp4 | nbires | seismo | ucb-vax ] ! ut-sally ! cyb-eng ! bc

bc@cyb-eng.UUCP (Bill Crews) (06/15/85)

> I say: keep them here where we can keep an eye on them.

But what on Earth does this have to do with net.lang.c, from which I am now
responding?  net.micro and net.arch, yes, maybe; but please spare the rest
of us.

--

  /  \    Bill Crews
 ( bc )   Cyb Systems, Inc
  \__/    Austin, Texas

[ gatech | ihnp4 | nbires | seismo | ucb-vax ] ! ut-sally ! cyb-eng ! bc

paulsc@tekecs.UUCP (Paul Scherf) (06/17/85)

I think I'd rather see the (heated) articles about 286 vs. 68k,
than all the articles about whether to start a new group for it.
Isn't there a group (net.news.group?) for discussing new group
creation?

If all the people who are complaining about the 286 vs. 68k
articles spent that effort learning about awk, each one of them
by now could have their very own program for preprocessing the
news and marking as read all articles with a '6' and a '8' in
either order.

Paul Scherf, Tektronix, Wilsonville, Oregon, USA, paulsc@radio_flyer.TEK.UUCP