[net.micro.68k] MC68008

knnngt@ukma.UUCP (Alan Kennington) (12/19/85)

In article <35@gumby.UUCP> schaefer@gumby.UUCP writes:
>Has anyone heard of the MC68008 processor?
>If so does it have any improvements over the 68000?
>respond to net.micro

+++++++++I've heard that the lineeater no longer exists+++++++++

A couple of books mention, and give plenty of information about, the
68008. All it is is a 68000 with a 8-bit bus, but the instruction set
seems to be the same, while the processor hides the 8-bit bus from the
programmer by doing double 8-bit fetches in place of 16-bit fetches....
....just in the same way as the 68000 pretends to be a 32-bit computer
in spite of its 16-bit bus. Come to think of it, most 8-bit computers
try to pretend half of the time that they are 16-bit anyway. But in this case,
the 68008 is specifically designed as an 8-bit imposter for a 16-bit machine
with full code compatibility.
	The book I have found really good for information on the differences on
the 68000, -08, -10, -12, and -20 is one published by Osborne/McGraw Hill,
called the "68k microprocessor handbook", SECOND edition, published 1986,
but I bought my copy a couple of weeks ago at a bookstore in the backwoods
(ie, Lexington KY). No one could sanely want to know more about the series
than is in that book.
					So long,
						Alan Kennington.