[net.micro.68k] Free upgrade to ver. 3.0 of UNIX PC software

kfr@mtunf.UUCP (Kevin Redden) (01/17/86)

In October of last year, AT&T-IS announced Version 3.0 of the UNIX PC
operating system software. The new version was free to all current
owners of the 2.0 version, and AT&T was sending notices to all owners to
this effect. Unfortunately, not all owners have received the notice.

If you are a UNIX PC user with version 2.0, the following article that
was lifted from THE STORE should be of interest.

PLEASE DO NOT SEND QUESTIONS TO ME - CALL THE 800 NUMBER!

The following is a copy of an article appearing in an internal ATT newspaper:

UNIX PC software update:  As part of the recent October product announcement,
there is an upgrade of both the UNIX PC system software and the UNIX system
utilities software.  The new releases, version 3.0, replace the existing
version 2.0 of both products.

The system software upgrade is free of charge for those who already have
version 2.0; the UNIX utilities upgrade costs $195 compared to a regular
purchase price of $495 for new UNIX utilities software customers.

All end users, including branch and area location personnel, can receive
their upgrades and information about time frames by calling the Customer
Information Center (CIC) at

	1-800-432-6600 and asking for operator 902

(UNIX PC software upgrade coordinator.)

End users must prove original purchase of the software by sending one of
the original diskettes from the sets to be upgraded to the distribution
agent before an upgrade will be authorized.  Details of the upgrade
program are currently being mailed to current UNIX PC software users.

AT&T employees who are internal users of the UNIX PC can receive their
upgrades as outlined above; however, the original diskette they return
should be a serialized diskette.  For more information, call

	1-800-432-6600, ask for operator 902

Editorial comment added by a user:  I called the above number and talked to
the infamous operator 902.  Basically they will take your name and
address and send you a form which will need to be sent back along with
your original serialized diskette - if you don't have a serialized
diskette it probably means you never purchased the software and are running
with the stuff that was loaded on the hard disk at the factory (in this
case you're going to have to break down and BUY the foundation set to
get the release 3.0 upgrade).

(NOTE: if you have not yet received a direct mailing on how to get this SW
upgrade, it is probably because you have not registered your machine. Please
send in the registration card(s) that come with the HW and SW soon!)

THE FLOPPIES YOU NEED TO SEND IN (after making copies of course) ARE:

Foundation:  "System Software - Foundation Set (1)" - (diskette number 5)

Utilities:   "UNIX Utilities - Development Set (1)" - (diskette number 6)

	THEY MUST BE ORIGINALS - WITH THE SERIAL NUMBERS ON THEM!

THE FOLLOWING IS A COPY OF THE ORDER FORM -

Customer Identification Number (CIN): 	__________________
		Customer Name:		__________________
		Voice Telephone Numb:	(   ) ____________
		Company Name:		__________________
		Ship to Address:	_____________________________
					_____________________________
					___________________ ZIP: ___________
Quantity of System Software 3.0: _____
Quantity of UNIX Utilities 3.0 : _____ x $195.00  = $ ______
					sales tax = $ ______
					TOTAL DUE = $ ______
				  Amount Enclosed = $ ______
AMERICAN EXPRESS _____  MASTERCARD _____  VISA _____
Charge Card Account No.: ____________________  Expiration date: __________
  Bill to address:  ___________________________________
		    ___________________________________

Authorizing Agent:  ______________	Signature: ____________________

Machine Serial Number: ______________________ (see bottom or rear of machine)
System SW Serial Number: ____________________ (see diskette number 1)
UNIX Util SW Serial Number: _________________ (see diskette number 1)

		MAIL THE COMPLETED FORM - ALONG WITH ONE DISKETTE
		FOR EACH PACKAGE BEING REQUESTED TO:

		AT&T Customer Information Center
		UNIX Upgrade Coordinator
		P.O. Box 19901
		2855 North Franklin Rd.
		Indianapolis, In.         46219

	NO COD's will be accepted - according to the form you can
	expect 3.0 in the mail in roughly 7 days!

Don't forget to make yourself a backup copy before submitting the original
	floppy diskette(s) ......

FOR QUESTIONS: 1-800-432-6600 - Operator 902 - NOT THE STORE!keeper

Kudos to ATTIS for the free upgrade.  Now, if they would make this
a habit (say, for at least a year after purchase of software),
that would be a very good sales point.

whh@jhunix.UUCP (William H. Huggins) (01/23/86)

> Kudos to ATTIS for the free upgrade.  Now, if they would make this
> a habit (say, for at least a year after purchase of software),
> that would be a very good sales point.

I just called the Baltimore ATT office and learned that the offer
of a "free" upgrade of the 7300 software to release 3.0 will expire
at the end of January.  Till then release 2 can be upgraded to 3.0
for a service charge of $195. (This is the Utilities package).

To arrange for this, call 800-432-6600 and ask for operator 902
who is the UNIX PC upgrade coordinator.  You will have to submit
the older diskette for replacement.
--
W.H. Huggins

randy@chinet.UUCP (Randy Suess) (01/26/86)

In article <1534@jhunix.UUCP> whh@jhunix.UUCP (William H. Huggins) writes:
>Till then release 2 can be upgraded to 3.0
>for a service charge of $195. (This is the Utilities package).
>
>To arrange for this, call 800-432-6600 and ask for operator 902
>who is the UNIX PC upgrade coordinator.  You will have to submit
>the older diskette for replacement.

	I sent my 2 disks and $195 off to AT&T on a Tuesday, and the
following Monday I recieved 2 VERY large packages of software!
I have had longer delays getting thru to companies on the fone!
The 3.0 upgrade is well worth it.  Windows now move/expand
instantly with the mouse.  NO delay!!  It also comes with ksh
(Korn Shell) and umodem.  One small problem, the man pages
describe a program called scrnset which is supposed to provide
a screen timout feature, but the program is missing.  The term
emulation program is expanded also.  It now has file capture to
disk and/or printer while in emulation mode.  It is still very
slow, tho.  Connected to my 3b2 at 9600 baud, it's thruput is
still about 2400 baud on the screen.  Too slow to replace a
terminal at 9600 baud.

--
.. that's the biz, sweetheart...
Randy Suess