[net.micro.68k] A standard OS-9 Archive Format

jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) (05/06/86)

     I noted the posting of 'par.c' and 'archx.c' to mod.sources recently.
I have never used either.  Furthermore, my Unix node doesn't support
'shar' or 'cshar'.  This wouldn't help OS-9'ers anyway since we don't
have a way of unpacking 'shar' files and 'cshar' files on OS-9 systems.
I don't like System V 'ar' format because it seems to use unprintable
ASCII characters for something.  According to the documentation of 'archx.c',
it doesn't.  As such, I'd like to propose usage of 'archx.c' as a standard
archive format for OS-9'ers.

     Another portable archiver posted to the net a while back was
'portar.c'.  I have it on disk somewhere, but I don't recall anything
about it offhand.

     Any comments?

                                          Cheers! -- Jim O.

--
James Omura, Barrister & Solicitor, Toronto
ihnp4!utzoo!lsuc!jimomura

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (05/08/86)

In article <1205@lsuc.UUCP> jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) writes:

>     I noted the posting of 'par.c' and 'archx.c' to mod.sources recently.
>I have never used either.  Furthermore, my Unix node doesn't support
>..
>I don't like System V 'ar' format because it seems to use unprintable
>ASCII characters for something.  According to the documentation of 'archx.c',
>it doesn't.  As such, I'd like to propose usage of 'archx.c' as a standard
>archive format for OS-9'ers.

The par.c mechanism uses the BSD ar format for the file. This format,
unlike the SysV ar format, is pure ascii. i.e. if the files par'ed
together are all ascii files, the entire file is ascii.

My feelings about this are that this allows use of par'ed files on BSD
machines using ar, and BSD ar files on machines (such as my mac) using unpar.

I'm porting par/unpar to the Mac, if you care (as a single program). I
previously ported fpack to the Mac, for approximately the same use but it
doesn't support checksums.

I've ported par/unpar to a 68020 based BSD machine (which still uses the
v7 ar for some reason), and found the checksum algorithm works there.
--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) (05/10/86)

In article <11609@amdcad.UUCP> jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) writes:
>In article <1205@lsuc.UUCP> jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) writes:
>>
>>     I noted the posting of 'par.c' and 'archx.c' to mod.sources recently.
>>I have never used either.  Furthermore, my Unix node doesn't support
>>..
>>I don't like System V 'ar' format because it seems to use unprintable
>>ASCII characters for something.  According to the documentation of 'archx.c',
>>it doesn't.  As such, I'd like to propose usage of 'archx.c' as a standard
>>archive format for OS-9'ers.
>
>The par.c mechanism uses the BSD ar format for the file. This format,
>unlike the SysV ar format, is pure ascii. i.e. if the files par'ed
>together are all ascii files, the entire file is ascii.

     In that case, it sounds fine.

>My feelings about this are that this allows use of par'ed files on BSD
>machines using ar, and BSD ar files on machines (such as my mac) using unpar.
>
>I'm porting par/unpar to the Mac, if you care (as a single program). I
>previously ported fpack to the Mac, for approximately the same use but it
>doesn't support checksums.
>
>I've ported par/unpar to a 68020 based BSD machine (which still uses the
>v7 ar for some reason), and found the checksum algorithm works there.

     That's essentially what I wanted to find out.  If there's been
a substantial effort in that direction, then I think we should use
'par.c' for a standard archive.  I didn't know how much work had been
done in either direction.

     Any other comments either way?
--
James Omura, Barrister & Solicitor, Toronto
ihnp4!utzoo!lsuc!jimomura
Byte Information eXchange: jimomura
(416) 652-3880

peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (05/15/86)

I must have missed PAR. Could someone *nearby* (in the Houston
area, preferably) mail me a copy of par.c/unpar.c?
--
-- Peter da Silva
-- UUCP: ...!shell!{baylor,graffiti}!peter; MCI: PDASILVA; CIS: 70216,1076