[net.micro.68k] 68020 co-processor for PC's

halloran@unirot.UUCP (Bob Halloran) (06/13/86)

In the latest Micro Cornucopia, there is an article about a 68020
co-processor card for the PC from Definicon Systems.  They have
previously done a NS32000 co-processor card.  Specs were given for
two cards: the 'hobbyist' version, with 12.5 MHz chipset and 1.0
Mb RAM, and the 'commercial' card, 16.6 MHz chipset and 4 Mb of RAM,
expandable to 16 Mb using megabit chips (presumably using SIP packaging).
Pricing for the hobbyist card is supposed to be about $1K.  The card
is available with the '881 floating point unit and the '851 MMU
(presumably extra $$).

Anyone know if they plan a Unix port to this card as they did
for the 32K?  This would be an outrageous amount of horsepower
to stick into your PClone.

					Bob Halloran, Consultant
UUCP: topaz!caip!unirot!halloran		DDD: (201)251-7514
USPS: 19 Culver Ct, Old Bridge NJ 08857		ATTmail: RHALLORAN
Disclaimer: I speak for myself.
Quote: "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter Thompson

woof@psivax.UUCP (Hal Schloss) (06/17/86)

In article <734@unirot.UUCP> halloran@unirot.UUCP (Bob Halloran) writes:

>In the latest Micro Cornucopia, there is an article about a 68020
>co-processor card for the PC from Definicon Systems.  They have
>previously done a NS32000 co-processor card.  Specs ...

>Anyone know if they plan a Unix port to this card as they did
>for the 32K?

Check out the DS-32 from Oasys Systems in Cambridge MA, (617-491-4180.)
They offer this board with UNIX System V. I don't know what the pricing
is, but they offer several software packages for it as well. They say it
is as fast as a VAX 11/750 or Sun-2.
--
		Hal Schloss
		Pacesetter Systems Inc.

kevinf@percival.UUCP (06/21/86)

...it would be the only reason to buy a PCclone...:-)

rodney@gitpyr.UUCP (RODNEY RICKS) (06/25/86)

In article <734@unirot.UUCP> halloran@unirot.UUCP (Bob Halloran) writes:

>In the latest Micro Cornucopia, there is an article about a 68020
>co-processor card for the PC from Definicon Systems.  They have

There is also an article in the July Byte about the same system.

Disclaimer:  My opinions in no way represent those of Georgia Tech, Alfie
             the killer rabbit, or any sentient creature in this or any
             other universe.

Rodney Ricks
   Department of Information and Computer Science
   Georgia Insitute of Technology  Atlanta, Georgia 30332

UUCP: ...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!rodney
 or :                                                   !gatech!gt-oscar!rodney
Mail: Georgia Tech P.O. Box 36616
      Atlanta, Ga. 30332