[net.micro.68k] Functionality

rb@cci632.UUCP (Rex Ballard) (06/30/86)

In article <164@astgb1.UUCP> jw@astgb1.UUCP (John Woodruff) writes:
>In article <1256@lsuc.UUCP>, jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) writes:
>>      Is this some kind of joke or don't you know what OS's currently
>> are available for 68K's?  If not, then I'd advise you to take a look
>> around.  We have *much* better OS's for the 68K than MS-DOS.  Furthermore,
>> an MS-DOS clone OS wouldn't get you any advantages anyway.  You'd still
>> not be able to run PC software.  ...
>
>Unfortunately, that ability is *MANDATORY* for some folk... Our boss
>dosen't care if he's using a Univac I, and never liked Unix...
>but he *loves* Lotus 123.

Does it HAVE to be LOTUS?  There ARE BETTER spreadsheets, word processors,
databases, mail programs,... that CAN be run as a TRULY INTEGRATED system
without the TRICKY PROGRAMMING of LOTUS!

On UNIX, you can get fully integrated office automation packages that
make Lotus 1-2-3 look like a "toy".  There are even spreadsheets that
can go 1024 x 1024 cells!  Some of the "virtual memory systems" are
only limited by disk capacity.

On OS-9, there are similar packages, many even object code compatible,
so you don't need source.

>As much as I (and Jim, I suspect) dislike
>it, the fact is that MS-DOS is a de-facto standard, and a method of
>combining the two (so he can use Lotus and I can do real work) is
>quite marketable.

MS-DOS is a mono-tasking, "wait for the printout", LIMITED operating
system, for which applications literally "blow up" the operating
system.  Integration, "ram residents", and other "PC-Specific" software
are simply creative solutions to the PROBLEMS created by PC-DOS.
Back when the PC only had 64K, and a floppy or tape drive, these
were necessary.

More than likely, by the end of this year, either Topview or Windows
will bring "real multi-tasking" to the PC.  If this happens, the need
for "Integration,et. al." will virtually dissappear.  Data standards
will probably be more important than "object code compatibility".
In fact, many of the "Hostile" applications such as 1-2-3 and
side-kick will have to be upgraded to be more "friendly" and
respect the OS.  Even the Mac and the Atari have an equivalent
to SideKick (built-in yet).

>Hewlett-Packard has a board that goes into their 68010/020 workstations
>containing an 80286, and accompanied by software that arranges for
>DOS and HP-UX to share a single filesystem and windowed display.

The Little-Board 2 is a $300 add-on that can run "Generic MS-DOS".
Unfortunately, unless the application is willing to give up control
of the "Bit Map", to an exclusively EGA type interface, they are unlikely to
run on anything other than a "PC-Clone".

>You get a single box that does both a PC/AT and Unix at the same time.

Seems like almost ANYBODY can make an AT these days :-).

Seriously.  If your boss insisted that everyone wear "Johnny Carson" brand
suits, you'd think it was silly right?  Especially if the "Designer Brand"
suits were of lower quality and/or 2-5 times the price.  If he requested
that people wear 3-piece suits, then you have a wide range of products
to choose from.

Determine, with your boss, what is actually needed.  He might find a package
for a 68K machine such as the Mac, Amiga, Atari, or ??  that gives him even
BETTER service, AND gives him the ability to work while he's "waiting for
the printout".

dougd@hpfclo (07/01/86)

/***** hpfclo:net.micro.68k / astgb1!jw / 11:01 pm  Jun 22, 1986*/

>Hewlett-Packard has a board that goes into their 68010/020 workstations
>containing an 80286, and accompanied by software that arranges for
>DOS and HP-UX to share a single filesystem and windowed display.
>You get a single box that does both a PC/AT and Unix at the same time.
>If it works the way they claim, it's *real neat*... but I've never
>seen it.  Call your HP rep for reliable information on this.

The product is orderable from HP as the 98286A (HW) and 98531A (SW).  The
combo lists for <$1300 and is currently orderable.  HP is quoting 16 week
availability on it but you should be able to see units in field offices
during July.

Doug Drees
Systems Software Operation
Hewlett-Packard