[net.micro.68k] Patents, Re: 68000 Memory Managment

rb@cci632.UUCP (Rex Ballard) (10/02/86)

In article <669@galbp.UUCP> philm@galbp.UUCP (Phillip Mathews) writes:

>There are two ways to get a patent in this country--invent something new
>or hire a *GOOD* patent attorney--c.f patent #4488662 on which i am
>listed as co-inventor.  This patent is for a 7474 used to de-glitch
>the wait/ready line of a Z80SIO.  Pure b***s*** invented by the patent
>attorney (the de-glitching was mine--tthe b***s*** is the patent attorney's)

No, there is only one way to get a patent in this country -- Hire a *GOOD*
patent attorney.  Even if you invent something new, a bad attorney, or
no attorney could cost you the patent.  My great-great-grandfather lost
several railroad patents to a bad attorney.

As to being obvious, this does not mean the patent cannot be granted.
The only requirement is that the idea be original.

Paper clips, staples, and other "obvious" devices and processes have
been patented at one time.