[net.micro.68k] Motorola 68040

galyen@scicom.UUCP (Robert Galyen) (10/20/86)

I realize this posting may result in severe castigation, in view of the
recent discussions on the Motorola 68xxx on net.micro.mac, but what the heck...

In the November issue of MacUser there are two references (pages 27, 38) to
a Motorola 68040 chip.  The chip, a 64/128 bit processor running at 100 MHz,
exists in rumor and perhaps on the drawing board.  Speculation is 2 yrs
before completion, has anyone additional information on this thing?

--robert--

pete@utcsscb.UUCP (10/23/86)

=================== Ashes to Ashes, Beware the Line Eater! ====================

In article <688@scicom.UUCP> galyen@scicom.UUCP writes:

>I realize this posting may result in severe castigation, in view of the
>recent discussions on the Motorola 68xxx on net.micro.mac, but what the heck...
>
>In the November issue of MacUser there are two references (pages 27, 38) to
>a Motorola 68040 chip.  The chip, a 64/128 bit processor running at 100 MHz,
>exists in rumor and perhaps on the drawing board.  Speculation is 2 yrs
>before completion, has anyone additional information on this thing?
>
>--robert--

	I should let this one go by, but I just can't!
	What is the point of talking about a rumoured chip 2 (probably
more like 3 - 4) years down the line?
	1. What design element remains the same during a 2 year development
	   process?
	2. Given the employee turnover rate in silicon valley, how stable is
	   THE DESIGN TEAM even going to be over 2 - 4 years?!

	I can claim that in 4 years we'll all have VAX 8600's on our desks,
and It'll probably be true. But who cares? that's in 4 years!

summary:
	Lets not have any more religious wars based on questionable rumours
	and personal opinions.

Pete Santangeli
"The grass will be greener till the stems turn to brown
 and thought will fly higher, till the earth brings them down
 Forever caught in desert sands one has to learn to disbelieve the sea"-Genesis

USENET:
	pete@utcsscb@utcs

werner@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (10/24/86)

>In the November issue of MacUser there are two references (pages 27, 38) to
>a Motorola 68040 chip.  The chip, a 64/128 bit processor running at 100 MHz,
>exists in rumor and perhaps on the drawing board.  Speculation is 2 yrs
>before completion, has anyone additional information on this thing?

given where the 68030 is right now, I think MacUser totally was outside their
expertise to "blabber" about this;  I actually suspected it was a typo and
that they meant the 68030.  Personally, I don't want to hear about any 68xxx
for a while.  I'll be curious when the time comes that I can get my hands on
samples.

dlnash@ut-ngp.UUCP (Donald L. Nash) (10/24/86)

In article <688@scicom.UUCP>, galyen@scicom.UUCP (Robert Galyen) writes:

> In the November issue of MacUser there are two references (pages 27, 38) to
> a Motorola 68040 chip.  The chip, a 64/128 bit processor running at 100 MHz,
> exists in rumor and perhaps on the drawing board.  Speculation is 2 yrs
            ^^^^^
> before completion, has anyone additional information on this thing?
>
> --robert--

According to someone I know at Motorola, Austin, there is NO 64/128 bit
machine under development, it is just rumorware.

				Don Nash

UUCP:    ...!{ihnp4, allegra, seismo!ut-sally}!ut-ngp!dlnash
ARPA:    dlnash@ngp.CC.UTEXAS.EDU
BITNET:  CCEU001@UTADNX, DLNASH@UTADNX

    Two wonderful facts to lighten your day:
        1.  The world is basically non-linear.
        2.  The entropy of the universe is increasing.