[net.music] "USA for Africa" trash...

dat@hpcnoa.UUCP (dat) (04/03/85)

	This note is concerning the recent USA for Africa recording...

	First off, it really pisses me off that they did this first
in England, and the American artists copied the English and NOW
the only version you hear (not to mention that pit of video dreck, MTV)
is the USA for Africa one.  Grrrr...

	Secondly, and more to the point, I am not at all impressed
by the fact that these artists got together and pressed a disc - so
that the poor American consumer is left actually footing the bill
for whatever aid we send to Africa....why didn't these rich slobs
(read especially folks like M. Jackson Inc.) just GIVE some of their
millions?  Noooo!  They just visit a recording studio for an hour
(with all sorts of expensive catering, I've heard) and sing and now
WE have to be the ones donating the money.  I suspect that there is
not a single person reading this net that can afford to donate as
much money (or even a fraction as much) as ANY of the people that
made the track.

	The worst thing is, the music is pretty pathetic...and the
video reminds me a lot of the self-indulgent Police junk - a 'gee,
isn't it neat to see us at work?' sort of attitude!

	Anyone else disgruntled by this shit?

						Dave Taylor
						Hewlett Packard

sethian@acf4.UUCP (sethian) (04/08/85)

Boy, and I thought I was a mean guy...

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Dr. Emmanuel Wu) (04/09/85)

> 	This note is concerning the recent USA for Africa recording...
>
> 	First off, it really pisses me off that they did this first
> in England, and the American artists copied the English and NOW
> the only version you hear (not to mention that pit of video dreck, MTV)
> is the USA for Africa one.  Grrrr...

Hear hear!  Another example of the level of originality (and concern) in
the "music industry" in America.

> 	Secondly, and more to the point, I am not at all impressed
> by the fact that these artists got together and pressed a disc - so
> that the poor American consumer is left actually footing the bill
> for whatever aid we send to Africa....why didn't these rich slobs
> (read especially folks like M. Jackson Inc.) just GIVE some of their
> millions?  Noooo!  They just visit a recording studio for an hour
> (with all sorts of expensive catering, I've heard) and sing and now
> WE have to be the ones donating the money.  I suspect that there is
> not a single person reading this net that can afford to donate as
> much money (or even a fraction as much) as ANY of the people that
> made the track.

Agreed.

> 	The worst thing is, the music is pretty pathetic...and the
> video reminds me a lot of the self-indulgent Police junk - a 'gee,
> isn't it neat to see us at work?' sort of attitude!

The concept of "video in the studio at work" varies in qulaity.  I've
seen the Police use it, I've seen Rush use it, and many others, often
without really good effect.  The best one I've ever seen is U2's "(Pride)
In the Name of Love", in which the high point (for me) is watching Brian
Eno say "Shhhhh".  If you think that these videos are actually shot as
the actual audio recording is being made, think again.  The same goes for
the original "Feed the World" video as well.  People who can't afford to
disrupt their busy schedules and stay around for the whole recording
session (e.g., Michael Jackson and Boy George) are shot separately.  Each
singer is actually recorded alone and individually, and the scenes in
which you see Bruce Springsteen and Stevie Wonder juxtaposed (obviously
staged) or Bono Vox and ??? juxtaposed are staged photographically after
the actual audio recording.  (Witness the film on the making of the "Feed
the World" video.)  Contemptible in this deception is a huckstress like
Diana Ross, who, in the video, appeared to be giving an "OK" sign to
Michael Jackson after he sang his part, in a shot with her and the
entire troupe of people.  Jackson was shot separately and was not on the
scene at all during that time, but Ross lent "believability" to the
misconception that he was.  "Check your egos at the door", my ass.

None of the above commentary should be construed to denigrate the cause
for which both songs were recorded.  I could be petty and say "don't send
money to the cheap copying American organization, send to Bob Geldof's
original fund", but fuck that.  Send it in any way you can, to whomever
you can.
--
"It's a lot like life..."			 Rich Rosen  ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

jeff@dciem.UUCP (Jeff Richardson) (04/09/85)

>	This note is concerning the recent USA for Africa recording...

>	First off, it really pisses me off that they did this first
> in England, and the American artists copied the English and NOW

This isn't the first time that American recording artists have copied the
English.  Just because something isn't original doesn't mean it isn't a good
idea, especially in this situation.  Of course, the best thing is a good
original idea.

> the only version you hear (not to mention that pit of video dreck, MTV)
> is the USA for Africa one.  Grrrr...

Part of the reason why you only hear USA For Africa and never Band-Aid
may have something to do with the fact that the former is current while the
latter is now several months old, (most radio and video stations play mostly
only current stuff) plus the fact that Christmas songs don't belong in the
middle of April anyway.  However, they should be playing the Canadian song
"Tears Are Not Enough" too.  It's still current and it's on the "We Are The
World" album.

>	Secondly, and more to the point, I am not at all impressed
> by the fact that these artists got together and pressed a disc - so
> that the poor American consumer is left actually footing the bill
> for whatever aid we send to Africa....why didn't these rich slobs
> (read especially folks like M. Jackson Inc.) just GIVE some of their
> millions?  Noooo!  They just visit a recording studio for an hour
> (with all sorts of expensive catering, I've heard) and sing and now
> WE have to be the ones donating the money.

I really can't understand the above argument.  First of all, these "rich
slobs" earned their money from the "poor American consumer" buying their
records and concert tickets, so if they donate some of that money, haven't
we footed the bill anyway?  At least with a benefit record we know that our
money is going to Africa instead of maybe to another one of Michael Jackson's
mannequins.  Their time is more valuable anyway because with this project,
they can raise more money with less effort than they can with their regular
records.  Also, I don't know if it's the same way in the U.S., but I know
that in Canada, if a millionaire makes a large monetary donation to a charity,
he gets a lot of it back in the form of tax deductions, and therefore the
"poor consumer" taxpayer foots a lot of the bill anyway, whether he likes it
or not.  Time donated to a charity is not tax deductable (in Canada at least),
nor is money spent on records, so the tax pool will not be weakened at all
by this project.

As far as us being the ones donating the money is concerned, nobody says YOU
have to buy the record or make a donation, and if somebody else does, what
difference does it make to you?

> I suspect that there is
> not a single person reading this net that can afford to donate as
> much money (or even a fraction as much) as ANY of the people that
> made the track.

I'm sure that's true, but it's not just a single person that will be buying
the records.  There will probably be millions.  The recording artists may be
able to top the money raised from record sales, but it would most likely be
a much bigger sacrifice than donating their time.  By doing a benefit record,
they've raised a huge amount of money, without any significant sacrifice from
anybody, and at the same time provided some entertainment (some people like the
song) that would not otherwise have been provided.  It sounds like a perfect
idea to me.

>	The worst thing is, the music is pretty pathetic...and the
> video reminds me a lot of the self-indulgent Police junk - a 'gee,
> isn't it neat to see us at work?' sort of attitude!

I'll agree that they could have done a much better video (some African scenes
would have helped), but the video is also a copy of the English version, and
people enjoy watching it to see how many people they can recognise and whether
they've correctly identified the voices.  Since people like watching it, then
I guess it's not a bad video.

>	Anyone else disgruntled by this shit?

Not if they've thought about it a little.

--
Jeff Richardson, DCIEM, Toronto  (416) 635-2073
{linus,ihnp4,uw-beaver,floyd}!utcsrgv!dciem!jeff

krf7527@ritcv.UUCP (Keith Fieldhouse) (04/10/85)

> 	This note is concerning the recent USA for Africa recording...
>
> 	First off, it really pisses me off that they did this first
> in England, and the American artists copied the English and NOW
> the only version you hear (not to mention that pit of video dreck, MTV)
> is the USA for Africa one.  Grrrr...

As I recall, the British Band Aid recording was called something
like "Do They Know it's Christmas?".  Most radio stations don't
play Christmas music in April, although in Rochester, NY with the
temperature and all, they might just as well.

> 	Secondly, and more to the point, I am not at all impressed
> by the fact that these artists got together and pressed a disc - so
> that the poor American consumer is left actually footing the bill
> for whatever aid we send to Africa....why didn't these rich slobs
> (read especially folks like M. Jackson Inc.) just GIVE some of their
> millions?

I would not be suprised if some of them actually *did* donate some
of their "millions".  As I'll point out in a moment I don't think that
matters much anyway.

>Noooo!  They just visit a recording studio for an hour
> (with all sorts of expensive catering, I've heard) and sing . . .

From all reports that I've read, the session was more like all
night long and not particularly "easy".  But that's not really the
point, the fact is, singing/performing is what those people do for
a *living*.  That is how they put bread on the table, send their kids
to school and make payments on their cars.  Granted, they do make a
lot of money and it does look like an awful lot of fun but methinks
that for most of them it was not an easy road to the glories of MTV.
While some might argue that they aren't worth what they make, I might
argue that computer programmers aren't either.  In my view a good
high school teacher should get paid what M. Jackson does but the
world doesn't seem to revolve that way.  In any event, by working
(yes, working) and redirecting their expected compensation to
a charitable cause they *are*  (in my view) donating money
out of their own pockets.

> 	The worst thing is, the music is pretty pathetic...and the
> video reminds me a lot of the self-indulgent Police junk - a 'gee,
> isn't it neat to see us at work?' sort of attitude!

I'm not overly thrilled with the music either especially after I've
identified all the singers.  As to the video: yes, I did think it was
kind of neat to see them work.  I don't think I'd want to see it more
than once or twice though.

That's just my 14 cents worth,

Keith Fieldhouse
@ The Rochester Institute of Technology
{allegra | seismo}!rochester!ritcv!krf7527

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) (04/10/85)

> 	This note is concerning the recent USA for Africa recording...

 .
 .
 .

> 	The worst thing is, the music is pretty pathetic...and the
> video reminds me a lot of the self-indulgent Police junk - a 'gee,
> isn't it neat to see us at work?' sort of attitude!
>
> 	Anyone else disgruntled by this sh*t?
>
> 						Dave Taylor
> 						Hewlett Packard

The song isn't that impressive, I agree.  At 6:20, it's rather boring.
I could probably deal with 3:30 version, no problemmo.  In fact, I grumble
because the station I always listen to editted it themselves and editted
out Bob Dylan, who is the best part of the song! (beep!  personal opinion!)
Even Quincy Jones couldn't get him to harmonize.

The one thing that bothers me about the video, though, is that all they do
is show us a bunch of well fed popular recording stars singing .  Now,
what touched off a spark of giving in the U.K., from what I understand,
are some rather heavy shots of the starving people in Ethiopia.  I never
saw these shots.  If the american news services brought them to us, I missed
'em.  I may very well have.

But I'm certainly not inspired to give money to this cause by listening to
a bunch of well-fed pop stars.  The only that impressed me was Pat Benetar,
who is donating the profits from her single "We Belong", which is, as you
put it, her own money.  Now Pat isn't going to be going bankrupt over it,
I admit, but it is nicer than "We Are The World."

I could deal with a video that, intersperced with shots of "my favourite
popular stars singing their hearts out for the starving children of Ethiopia
and Africa" (I know Ethiopia is in Africa.  Let me finish) they show me
some of those starving people in Ethiopia.  I've never really dealt with the
whole topic.  The best I've done is gone a whole day without a meal...just
snacks.  But, of course, the fifteen year-old Michael Jackson fans would go
"Oooh!  Grodey!" and shut off the set.  So they give us the sanitized version.

And now, for chrissakes, the Canadians are making one, which is almost as
boring, but at least it doesn't sound like a Pepsi Commercial.  ("We are
the world, we are the pepsi generation...")  I hear Julio and a bunch of
Spanish Recording stars are going to make a song.  And, the one that gets
me, a batch of metalmusic bands are getting together.  Now THAT, I might buy!
It sounds like it could be hilarious!

I agree with you, though.  The whole thing is kind of sad.
--
                                        Peter Merchant

ribl@hou4b.UUCP (R Blechman) (04/11/85)

> 	This note is concerning the recent USA for Africa recording...
>
> 	First off, it really pisses me off that they did this first
> in England, and the American artists copied the English and NOW
> the only version you hear (not to mention that pit of video dreck, MTV)
> is the USA for Africa one.  Grrrr...

Agreed. I wondered about this myself. I thought perhaps it had to do
with the seasonal nature of the "Do they know its Christmas" release.
There is probably some of this element involved.

> 	Secondly, and more to the point, I am not at all impressed
> by the fact that these artists got together and pressed a disc - so
> that the poor American consumer is left actually footing the bill
> for whatever aid we send to Africa....why didn't these rich slobs
> (read especially folks like M. Jackson Inc.) just GIVE some of their
> millions?  Noooo!  They just visit a recording studio for an hour
> (with all sorts of expensive catering, I've heard) and sing and now
> WE have to be the ones donating the money.

Several points bother me about this one:
1) Do you *know* if no one contributed on their own?
   If they did contribute and announced it to the world so that you'd know,
   would you then complain about that they were bragging about their
   contributions?

2) Many of the artists have contributed individual songs for the newly
   released USA for Africa album. With each of these songs,
   the artists are donating their royalties that they could have otherwise
   pocketed for themselves (I'm sure they all aren't "throw away" songs).

   For a professional/successful artist to donate his/her work *is*
   the same as donating money. This is true in any profession.
   Also, from the little time I've spent in the studio, i found that
   time to be *work* (rewarding, but exhausting).
   [ the best kind of work is the kind that you enjoy doing :-) ].
   After listening to the same song a hundred different ways --
   trying to decide on the best version,
   things aren't all fun, hugs, and kisses.
   (An image that we are fed to believe in videos and magazine pics).

   As far as the catering goes, i really don't know if it was *excessive*
   or not. In the musical field, especially in the studio, you *want* to try to
   make everyone as comfortable as they can be, so that little
   can get in the way of the work itself. This is especially true with
   singers, since their emotional state will affect their singing.
   [altho perhaps a punk/hardcore band would listen to videos of Ronald Reagan
   to set the mood :-)]

3) No one said (WE) have to buy the record, or even donate the money.
   Simply, if you don't like the song, you don't have to buy it.
   There are various ways you could contribute other than by purchasing
   the album.

   Besides, one great aspect of the albums and videos is that it will
   raise money that otherwise wouldn't be raised (e.g. due to lack of awareness,
   one's comfortable lifestyle clouding the reality of what.s happening
   elsewhere, lack of interest, whatever).

   Additionally, i think a starving person will be thankful for whatever way
   they receive the food they need. Whether its from your donations or
   Springsteen's or whomever. This is one instance where lack of originality
   (i.e. the American's copying an idea first conceived by England's Band-Aid)
   shouldn't get in the way.

Overall, I think the whole idea, started with BandAid, is a good one.
I hope it helps. Anyway, if you don't like the album, don't buy it.
And I hope those who don't like the albums won't ignore the cause.

-ron blechman
hou4b!ribl

riddle@ut-sally.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle) (04/12/85)

My only complaint about "We Are the World" is that, while it may be a great
and noble idea, it is a  t e r r i b l e  song.  The performers work so hard
trying to breathe some shred of life into their little bits of the awful
tune that they sound like charicatures of themselves; come to think of it,
maybe Rich Little recorded the whole thing... :-)

stein@druny.UUCP (SteinDW) (04/15/85)

>> 	This note is concerning the recent USA for Africa recording...

 .
 .
 .

>> 	The worst thing is, the music is pretty pathetic...and the
>> video reminds me a lot of the self-indulgent Police junk - a 'gee,
>> isn't it neat to see us at work?' sort of attitude!
>>
>> 	Anyone else disgruntled by this sh*t?
>>
>> 						Dave Taylor
>> 						Hewlett Packard

 .
 .
 .
>a bunch of well-fed pop stars.  The only that impressed me was Pat Benetar,
>who is donating the profits from her single "We Belong", which is, as you
>put it, her own money.  Now Pat isn't going to be going bankrupt over it,
>I admit, but it is nicer than "We Are The World."
 .
 .
 .
>I agree with you, though.  The whole thing is kind of sad.
>--
>                                        Peter Merchant

What I think is sad is people complaining about other people trying to
help the starving Ethiopians. Any effort helps and, aside from the donated
money, these artists are helping to publicise the problem.
If you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

Don Stein
druny!stein

"Selling guns instead of food today."

mupmalis@watarts.UUCP (mike upmalis) (04/15/85)

In article <2905@dartvax.UUCP> merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) writes:

>I could deal with a video that, intersperced with shots of "my favourite
>popular stars singing their hearts out for the starving children of Ethiopia
>and Africa" (I know Ethiopia is in Africa.  Let me finish) they show me
>some of those starving people in Ethiopia.  I've never really dealt with the
>whole topic.  The best I've done is gone a whole day without a meal...just
>snacks.  But, of course, the fifteen year-old Michael Jackson fans would go
>"Oooh!  Grodey!" and shut off the set.  So they give us the sanitized version.
>
>And now, for chrissakes, the Canadians are making one, which is almost as
>boring, but at least it doesn't sound like a Pepsi Commercial.  ("We are
>the world, we are the pepsi generation...")

An important thing to remember not to many years ago there was a concert for
the people of Biafara. And a decade later, a concert to raise money for
MUSE in New York.
People donating their talents for a good cause is not new, what distresses
is the consequences or lack of success of what happened.
Canada has donated ~20 million dollars in money and products to famine
relief, the video, Tears are not enough (which does show the children of
Ethiopia) has raised ~200,000 dollars so far. Should they have not bothered,
after all ~200,000 will only save about 100,000 lives.
Should the people who skipped lunch on selected Wednesdays and gave the 2 to 5
to 20 dollars to charity not bothered?
Charity is bits and pieces of effort of a large umber of people, while
I can say that I don't like the american song, and that I am uncomfortable
with this method of raising funds, that any success, or the keeping in the
awareness of the public will still be a part of the solution.

I don't know what you base the attack on the Canadian music scene on,
You can here the song on the American album and judge for youself, I urge
you first to listen before you decide, I consider it a stronger policy..

--
~~
Mike Upmalis	(mupmalis@watarts)<University of Waterloo>

gregbo@houxm.UUCP (Greg Skinner) (04/18/85)

"Tears Are Not Enough" by the Canadian group Northern Lights (assorted Canadian artists
such as Gordon Lightfoot, Anne Murray, Neil Young and Bryan Adams) has aired in NYC on
WPLJ, but I don't believe the Canadians are going to release their single in the U.S.
--
			... hey, we've gotta get out of this place,
    			    there's got to be something better than this ...

Greg Skinner (gregbo)
{allegra,cbosgd,ihnp4}!houxm!gregbo
gregbo%houxm.uucp@harvard.arpa

jeffw@tekecs.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) (04/18/85)

> If you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem.
>
> Don Stein
> druny!stein

Absolute, total, and complete horseshit.

One always has the right to abstain. Or play music instead...

						Jeff Winslow

mupmalis@watarts.UUCP (mike upmalis) (04/19/85)

In article <1200@houxm.UUCP> gregbo@houxm.UUCP (Greg Skinner) writes:
>"Tears Are Not Enough" by the Canadian group Northern Lights (assorted Canadian artists
>such as Gordon Lightfoot, Anne Murray, Neil Young and Bryan Adams) has aired in NYC on

Add Joni Mitchell, Paul Schaeffer (Letterman), Burton Cummings (American Women/
Guess Who), Rompin' Ronnie Hawkins (whose former band The Band went on to other
heights) Bruce Cockburn, and fair number more of dynamic but less likely
known Canadian artists....
--
~~
Mike Upmalis	(mupmalis@watarts)<University of Waterloo>

dat@hpcnoa.UUCP (dat) (05/11/85)

	I tried to mail this to you, Don, but notes bit el dusto...

> What I think is sad is people complaining about other people trying to
> help the starving Ethiopians. Any effort helps and, aside from the donated
> money, these artists are helping to publicise the problem.
> If you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

	Give me a break - that wasn't what I was complaining about, Don,
and if you would have read my posting and thought about it for a few
seconds you would have realized it!  I do NOT have some sort of deep-
seated hate of Ethiopians, or in fact of any group of people (other
than politicians...) and I certainly don't think that it is reasonable
for me to sit here and have you say 'I'm part of the problem'!

	What have YOU done for the good of the Earth and the people
on it lately?

	What really got me in an 'uproar' about the USA for Africa
recording is the MEDIA response to it, NOT the recording itself (although
I think the music is really pathetic) and also NOT the sentiment of
people who can helping people who can't (after all, if we can't do that,
we shouldn't be here...)!!!

	Perhaps this didn't come out too well in the original posting...

					Peace and all that...

						Dave Taylor