[net.notes] Initial Messages

news@sri-unix (07/26/82)

#N:tekcrd:12100001:000:8778
tekcrd!news    Jul 26 09:15:00 1982

From: tekcrd!teklabs!ucbcad!ARPAVAX:CSVAX:decvax!pur-ee!uiucdcs!essick
Newsgroups: net.notes
Title: net.notes - for notesfile users - (nf)

#N:uiucdcs:23300002:004:401
uiucdcs!essick    Jul 21 12:03:00 1982

	This notesfile/newsgroup is for the discussion of the
notesfile system. Bug reports and solutions can be posted here.

You may ask why this is not a subgroup of "net.news". Simple.
the notesfile system is not the news program. It may accomplish
similar goals, but it isn't news.

	I have a number of bugs which were reported and which
have solutions. I will submit these in a few days.

	Ray Essick

From: tekcrd!teklabs!ucbcad!ARPAVAX:CSVAX:mhtsa!eagle!harpo!ber
Newsgroups: net.notes
Title: Re: reading commands in notes - (nf)

#R:sri-unix:-227000:harpo:18500001:000:75
harpo!ber    Jul 25 15:51:00 1982

A new miscio.c is available from pur-ee!malcolm which fixes this.

		brian

From: tekcrd!teklabs!ucbcad!ARPAVAX:CSVAX:decvax!pur-ee!uiucdcs!essick
Newsgroups: net.notes
Title: Re: reading commands in notes - (nf)

#R:sri-unix:-227000:uiucdcs:23300005:004:196
uiucdcs!essick    Jul 25 18:50:00 1982

	Malcolm Slaney has kindly modified the appropriate portions
of code to allow one to use the erase and kill characters of his
choice. I shall dig out the modifications and post them.

	Ray Essick

From: tekcrd!teklabs!ucbcad!ARPAVAX:CSVAX:decvax!pur-ee!uiucdcs!essick
Newsgroups: net.notes
Title: Re: notes<cr> - (nf)

#R:sri-unix:-225500:uiucdcs:23300004:004:576
uiucdcs!essick    Jul 25 18:49:00 1982

	The code inside of the notes proram does not do any blanking
in this case. Maybe the paging program that is called to print the
list of available notesfiles (defaults to /usr/ucb/more) has been
changed on your machine?
	The code that prints the messages looks like:

	printf("Usage: %s [-isxn] [blah blah]", argv[0]);
	dounix(PAGER, "/usr/spool/notes/.utilities/avail.notes");

There is no screen clearing in the code.

Since notes looks at the "PAGER" environment variable, if a user has
defined a pager which clears the screen to start, this is what happened.

	Ray Essick

From: tekcrd!teklabs!ucbcad!ARPAVAX:CSVAX:mhtsa!eagle!harpo!decvax!pur-ee!malcolm
Newsgroups: net.notes
Title: Re: reading commands in notes - (nf)

#R:sri-unix:-227000:pur-ee:13000001:000:122
pur-ee!malcolm    Jul 25 15:00:00 1982

It has been added here at Purdue.  If you want I can
send you the new version of the file miscio.c.

						Malcolm Slaney

From: tekcrd!teklabs!ucbcad!ARPAVAX:CSVAX:decvax!cca!mclure@sri-unix
Newsgroups: net.notes
Title: percentage in lower right corner

No matter how deep I am into a note, the bottom right corner always
shows 0%.

	Stuart
From: tekcrd!teklabs!ucbcad!ARPAVAX:CSVAX:decvax!cca!mclure@sri-unix
Newsgroups: net.notes
Title: redrawing the screen

Notes seems to redraw the screen excessively rather than optimizing
what needs to be redrawn. Perhaps notes should be modified to use
the curses package? At 1200 baud, such redraws consume a lot of time.

	Stuart
From: tekcrd!teklabs!ucbcad!ARPAVAX:CSVAX:decvax!duke!harpo!npoiv!npois!cbosgd!nscs!jpj
Newsgroups: net.notes
Title: Re: net.notes - for notesfile users - (nf)

I recently came upon a bug and I would be interested in hearing if
anyone else has seen it.  The problem has to do with too many files
being open at one time.  I had been showing how to use notes to one of
my cohorts and decided to try and send mail.  Alas, the Subject: line
was deleted and a message (you've gotta be fast to see it!) came up
saying too many files.  Any ideas?

Also - at present we are a test site for the new mail that uses
addresses of the form: user@site.network  To make this work w/notes, I
made a one line change in mailit.c  I no longer have the original
line, but I am sure that you can deduce what it was.  The change looks
like this:

mailit.c:
    line 53:

	    sprintf (whoto, "%s@%s", author -> aname, unique -> sys);

Since this is the mail standard of the future (please, no flames!),
it might be a good idea to ifdef it into the code.

Cheers...
Jim Jenal
BTL/CB
From: tekcrd!teklabs!ucbcad!ARPAVAX:CSVAX:decvax!duke!harpo!floyd!cmcl2!salkind
Newsgroups: net.notes
Title: Bug in newsinput.c

Here is a rather serious bug in newsinput.c: if someone from the net
(in B news) replies to an article whose title ends with "- (nf)", the
notes system just throws the response away.  The problem is that newsinput
is expecting the article to be in "almost generic" format (those two lines
that start with a # at the beginning of the article).  When it doesn't see
a # newsinput decides the article is corrupted and throws it away.

I propose those two lines needed by notes be moved into the header field
of B news.  Then normal B news readers won't even see these lines.
Newsinput should also be changed to parse the B news format.  Then it
can even take advantage of the new References: field in B news to build

I don't expect this to be that hard; I've already changed newsinput to
be able to parse the B news header.  I haven't had a chance to test things
out yet though; when (and if) I do I will let you all know.

We've found several other bugs in the notesfile system (mostly just minor
annoyances).  Should I report them in this group?  I haven't fixed that many.

By the way, everyone here who has tried notes seems to be quite pleased with
the system.  A big improvement over the B news interface.

	Lou Salkind
From: tekcrd!teklabs!ucbcad!ARPAVAX:CSVAX:decvax!pur-ee!uiucdcs!essick
Newsgroups: net.notes
Title: Re: percentage in lower right corner - (nf)

#R:sri-unix:-223900:uiucdcs:23300003:004:388
uiucdcs!essick    Jul 23 10:49:00 1982

	The 0% comes from the fact that I did all of my development
work on a Vax, where int's are 32 bits.  If you look at the end
of the routine "showit" in module "dsply.c", you will find a printf
call that is supposed to show the percentage of the note done.
The control string calls for an int, but the variables used are
long's.  The solution is to cast the result to an int.

	Ray Essick

From: tekcrd!teklabs!ucbcad!ARPAVAX:CSVAX:decvax!cca!mclure@sri-unix
Newsgroups: net.notes
Title: notes<cr>

Is there some reason why the screen is blanked between the
'usage' blurb after typing notes<cr> and the typeout of the
available newsgroups? The blurb disappears to quickly to be
read sometimes... why blank at all?

	Stuart
From: tekcrd!teklabs!ucbcad!ARPAVAX:CSVAX:decvax!cca!mclure@sri-unix
Newsgroups: net.notes
Title: reading commands in notes

It would be nice if notes and its friends could somehow honor my kill
and erase settings.  It is somewhat disorienting to have different
kill/erase settings in notes, the editor one uses, the shell, etc.
From: tekcrd!teklabs!ucbcad!ARPAVAX:CSVAX:decvax!cca!mclure@sri-unix
Newsgroups: net.notes
Title: at(-1,3) in index.c

When a user types a note number to read, the at(-1,3) in index.c
places the cursor 3 columns into the prompt line and prints
'Read note > ##' where ## is the note number. However, the first
couple columns still have part of the left-over prompt. I changed
our at(-1,3) to at(-1,1) and it seems to work correctly now.

	Stuart

ber (07/29/82)

#R:tekcrd:12100001:harpo:18500002:000:38
harpo!ber    Jul 28 19:43:00 1982

Wow!  A recursive newsgroup.

		brian

malcolm (07/29/82)

#R:tekcrd:12100001:pur-ee:13000003:000:59
pur-ee!malcolm    Jul 28 20:03:00 1982

Does anybody know where this came from????

							Malcolm