[net.notes] Orphaned Response

ber (08/06/82)

#R:sri-unix:1000010:harpo:18500007:000:197
harpo!ber    Aug  5 19:28:00 1982

I used to have a setuid notes program which ran such things as newsoutput
and nfxmit. Now I have the 3.0 su which allows me to:

su notes -c /usr/spool/.utilities/nfxmit -args etc.

		brian redman

tw (08/07/82)

#R:sri-unix:1000010:hp-pcd:11900002:000:349
hp-pcd!tw    Aug  6 15:16:00 1982

The following line in crontab seems to work just fine for us:

15               * * * * echo /vb/spool/notes/.utilities/newsoutput                                           general '"net.*"'            | su netnews

We do have newsoutput running setuid to the notes owner.

Tw Cook - HP Personal Computer Div, Corvallis OR - ucbvax!hplabs!hp-pcd!tw

malcolm (03/13/83)

#R:tekcrd:12100002:pur-ee:13000016:000:218
pur-ee!malcolm    Mar 12 21:01:00 1983

Woops....The long subject problem is my fault.  I messed up the strcmp
that is used to match up replies and I haven't had a chance to go back
and fix it.  If somebody has some time, it is in newsinput.

							Malcolm

pat@uiucuxc.UUCP (09/22/83)

#R:uiucuxc:18600009:uiucuxc:18600011:37777777600:147
uiucuxc!pat    Sep 12 13:37:00 1983

Great !  The only problem is that "vi" commands conflict with "notes"
commands  (i.e. to move up the list I want to type: k  )

Good work,

Pat

gordon@sneaky.UUCP (10/19/84)

Even if remote cancellation is not allowed, you can still get into
trouble if anyone expects references like "the previous response",
"note 7 in net.garbage", etc. to mean anything.  Example:

	A writes a note.
	B writes an idiotic response.
	C and D start writing responses complaining about B's response,
	but referring to it only as "the previous response".

	Whichever of C or D finishes his note last will probably look like
	an idiot.

The time windows for such things get even wider if you assume that C and D
are on different machines.  Then it is likely that C and D both look like
idiots on the other's machine, but sensible on their own.

Also, how about:

	A writes a note.
	B writes a nasty response, referring to A's note as "note 7".
	The nightly nfarchive is done, and B's note is now note 7.

	Everyone thinks B is an idiot for fighting with himself, and losing.

Ray, I think I agree with most of your reasons for not having remote
cancellation.  But I think your examples stretched the point a bit too far.

				Gordon Burditt
				convex!ctvax!trsvax!sneaky!gordon
				microsoft!trsvax!sneaky!gordon

mather@uicsl.UUCP (07/18/85)

I found this same problem to be very hard to live with, so I rewrote
the keyboard interface of 'notes'. If people are interested, I will
post the mods.

It grabs your erase and kill chars and does printing of control chars
in a reasonable fashion. Backs up and kills lines, and EVERYTHING.
Works very well.

				b.c.mather
				Software Surgeon
				uiucdcs!uicsl!mather

kre@ucbvax.ARPA (Robert Elz) (07/21/85)

part of theheader of a recent article in net.notes.

What more can (need) I say ...

	Newsgroups: net.notes
	Subject: Re: Orphaned Response

donn@hp-dcd.UUCP (donn) (08/10/85)

Most of HP (except for the backbone/gateway sites hplabs and hp-pcd)
run an internal version of notes exclusively, and both of those run
notes as well.  This comes to quite a few machines (guess: 100+) (some
quite small).  The version being run on most sites is somewhat better
about news compatability than most notes versions, and an experimental
version is a "good netnews citizen", complete with knowing how to avoid
"Orphaned response" if it can find a title ANYWHERE.  It sees heavy use
for internal groups and active (but informal) work is proceeding on it.

Donn Terry
HP Ft. Collins, Co.