[net.music] Midge Ure/Ultravox

brp@starfire.UUCP (Ben Pennington) (01/05/86)

Has anyone heard if Midge Ure of Ultravox is planning on touring the
USA this year.  I've heard that his album, THE GIFT, will be released
domestically in February so maybe he will tour here.  I really like
the import of THE GIFT a great deal.  If you like Ultravox I think
you will like this one!  If anyone hears of a tour let me know.

page@ulowell.UUCP (Bob Page) (01/13/86)

In article <167@starfire.UUCP> brp@starfire.UUCP (Ben Pennington) writes:
>Has anyone heard if Midge Ure of Ultravox is planning on touring the
>USA this year.  I've heard that his album, THE GIFT, will be released

He was just here (in Boston).  Or maybe he'll be here this week?

>If you like Ultravox I think you will like this one!

I have every Ultravox LP, EP, 12", B-side, domestic and import, and listen
to them all the time.  I like them more with Midge Ure than with John Foxx
(have all of his stuff too), and probably like _Lament_ (the latest) the
best.  I don't have the Singles Collection, though (naturally).

Having said that, I don't care for the Midge Ure LP.  My guess is that he
thought the material 'too commercial' for Ultravox, although that may be
way off base.  In any event, *I* think it is too commercial.  Too squeaky
clean.  I'm reminded of Haircut 100 (in style, not content!).

I must say that his voice naturally attracts me (conditioned response),
but what makes Ultravox special is Billy Currie's keyboard playing.  Throw
that in and you usually have something.  I say usually because those two
teamed up on _The_Bloodied_Sword_ which was mostly boring story telling,
with some musical sqeaks here and there.  Not recommended, even for the
biggest fans (except for completeness' sake, of course).

..Bob

--
UUCP: wanginst!ulowell!page          Bob Page
ARPA: page@ulowell.CSNET             University of Lowell

marcos@sdchema.UUCP (David A. Pearlman) (01/14/86)

In article <167@starfire.UUCP>, brp@starfire.UUCP (Ben Pennington) writes:
> Has anyone heard if Midge Ure of Ultravox is planning on touring the
> USA this year.  I've heard that his album, THE GIFT, will be released
> domestically in February so maybe he will tour here.  I really like
> the import of THE GIFT a great deal.  If you like Ultravox I think
> you will like this one!  If anyone hears of a tour let me know.

A Midge Ure mini-tour occurred late last year. I think he visited
10 cities (one of them was L.A.). I've not heard anything about
additional appearances, though if the record does well...

				      David ("Dr. DAP") Pearlman