[net.wobegon] Info Wanted

bob@harpo.UUCP (10/19/84)

I would support wobegon as a folk music focal point.
We recently had Bill Stanes at the Minstrel Show in Basking Ridge, N. J.
He was fantastic.  It was teh largest crowd in the 10 years or so the
Show has been running.  Can anyone tell me which of his albums has
Roseville Fair on it?  Also is there any relation between Sally Rogers
and Stan Rogers?  I recently heard one of her records and the fiddle
playing sounded identical to tthat on Stan and Garnett's records.
.

reid@Glacier.ARPA (10/22/84)

I'm thrilled to see net.wobegon turning into a folk music group. I think
that most of us who've read it for years (without knowing quite what to post)
all have a common interest in folk music.

bob@harpo.uucp writes:
> We recently had Bill Stanes at the Minstrel Show in Basking Ridge, N. J.
> He was fantastic.  It was the largest crowd in the 10 years or so the
> Show has been running.  Can anyone tell me which of his albums has
> Roseville Fair on it?

Roseville Fair is on ``The Whistle of the Jay'', Folk-Legacy FSL-70, 1979.
You can probably order it from Roundup Records (a big New England
distributor and wholesaler affiliated with Rounder) if your local record
store doesn't have it.

A tremendously fine record. I've heard Bill several times at Passim in
Cambridge MA; he is a regular there. He's great. This record also features
Guy Van Duser, one of the all-time great folk guitarists. It also has some
world-class yodeling on it. Staines is a real champion yodeler in addition
to being a fine folksinger.

	Brian Reid
	Stanford
(yes, I often DO plan my trips from California to Boston around who will be
playing at Passim while I am there....)

david@varian.UUCP (David Brown) (10/23/84)

> We recently had Bill Stanes at the Minstrel Show in Basking Ridge, N. J.
> He was fantastic.  It was teh largest crowd in the 10 years or so the
> Show has been running.  Can anyone tell me which of his albums has
> Roseville Fair on it?  Also is there any relation between Sally Rogers
> and Stan Rogers?  I recently heard one of her records and the fiddle
> playing sounded identical to tthat on Stan and Garnett's records.
> .

I'm almost positive there is no relation between Sally and Stan Rogers
- Sally is originally from Michigan (and now lives in Connecticut); Stan
is from Canada. However, Stan was influential in convincing Sally to
turn "pro" - see the article in a recent Sing Out (2 or 3 issues back)
about Sally Rogers (it has her picture on the cover).  I have both of
Sally's records and I don't recall Garnett Rogers listed in the credits
(I seem to remember that I hadn't heard of most of the backup musicians).

As for Bill Staines, he has quite a few (5 or 6) records out; I don't know
which has Roseville Fair on it.  However, San Francisco Bay Area folks will
be interested to know that he is playing at the Ploughshares Coffeehouse
(3rd floor, Building C, Fort Mason, Laguna & Marina, San Francisco)
next week - Sunday October 28, 7:30pm.  Don't miss it!

--
	David Brown	 (415) 945-2199
	Varian Instruments 2700 Mitchell Dr.  Walnut Creek, Ca. 94598

ericf@uwvax.UUCP (Eric Feigenson) (10/23/84)

> I would support wobegon as a folk music focal point.
> We recently had Bill Stanes at the Minstrel Show in Basking Ridge, N. J.
> He was fantastic.  It was teh largest crowd in the 10 years or so the
> Show has been running.  Can anyone tell me which of his albums has
> Roseville Fair on it?  Also is there any relation between Sally Rogers
> and Stan Rogers?  I recently heard one of her records and the fiddle
> playing sounded identical to tthat on Stan and Garnett's records.
> .

Oooooh, boy, did you come to the right place!  First, it's Bill Staines
(from Dover, NH).  Roseville Fair is on his "Whistle of the Jay" album,
on Folk Legacy records.  He's one of my favorite contemporary folk
performers.

There is no relation between Stan Rogers and Sally Rogers.  There was
a "Rogers Family Reunion" concert here in Madison a few years back,
with Gamble Rogers, Sally Rogers, and Stan Rogers.  The big joke was,
of course, that none of them are related to any of the others (that
they were aware of, anyway).

--

				    -Eric Feigenson

				    Usenet: {seismo, allegra, ihnp4}!uwvax!ericf
				    Arpanet: ericf@wisc-rsch.arpa