[net.wobegon] Proposed 'net.music.folk' group

mej@ptsfc.UUCP (Mary Johnson) (11/03/84)

The use of 'net.wobegon' for general folk music topics has aroused
the wrath of the group's creator, who wants to keep the group
focused on 'The Prairie Home Companion' radio show.

It has also been noted that network people will have no idea
that net.wobegon relates to folk music, unless they are PHC fans.
(Lake Wobegon is the mythical location in Minnesota from which
the show is broadcast.)

I would like to propose the creation of a 'net.music.folk' group for
people interested in the traditional music of any culture.

                Mary Johnson
                {ihnp4,ucbvax,cbosgd,decwrl,amd}!dual!ptsfa!ptsfc!mej

I second the motion.

Charley Wingate

jwp@sdchema.UUCP (John Pierce) (11/06/84)

In article <219@ptsfc.UUCP> mej@ptsfc.UUCP (Mary Johnson) writes:

 > The use of 'net.wobegon' for general folk music topics has aroused
 > the wrath of the group's creator ...

It's annoyed me considerably, also.  What's going to happen is that somebody's
going to say something like "John Fahey's the greatest folk guartist that's
ever lived" or "There's never been a better folk group than Pentangle", and
our nice friendly net.wobegon will go the way of net.religion.

 > I would like to propose the creation of a 'net.music.folk' group for
 > people interested in the traditional music of any culture.

Barring serious objection in the next week or so (or somebody else doing it
sooner) I will create net.music.folk.

				John Pierce, Chemistry, UC San Diego
				{decvax,sdcsvax}!sdchema!jwp

gsf@astroatc.UUCP (11/08/84)

[ ... Fan mail from some flounder??? ]

Its obvious from the recent flood of postings to net.wobegon
that net.music.folk is wanted and needed. Here is one more vote
to get this group going. Maybe then net.wobegon can return to
being the shy little newsgroup it used to be.

				Greg Fischer
				...uwvax!astroatc!gsf

hummel@csd2.UUCP (11/10/84)

Well, actually a show can't be broadcast from a mythical city,
but even if it could, no pretence is made that PHC is broadcast
from Lake Wobegon.  It in fact is staged in St. Paul, Minnesota,
generally in the World Theater, but more recently elsewhere.
It used to wander around the twin cities, but when they went
national, the main wanderings have been to distant cities.
  Lake Wobegon is gk's home town.  PHC brings you the news from
Lake Wobegon, but it is, as gk said the other week, remote
journalism (and "sometimes the sources dry up".  I think one of
the best lines of all times followed:  "A lesser man would be
tempted to make something up.")
  In any case, count my vote for keeping net.wobegon pure, and if
it's the little group that time forgot, then at least it's above
average.

			Robert Hummel (hummel@nyu)
			Former resident of Minnesota, a state
			noted as a great exporter of people.

stanton@fortune.UUCP (W. Dean Stanton) (11/16/84)

> Well, actually a show can't be broadcast from a mythical city,
> but even if it could, no pretence is made that PHC is broadcast
> from Lake Wobegon.  It in fact is staged in St. Paul, Minnesota,
> 			Robert Hummel (hummel@nyu)
> 			Former resident of Minnesota, a state
> 			noted as a great exporter of people.

Some people are SOOO Naive!  Garrison had admitted that Lake Wobegon
is mythical.  As most of us know, he went on to admit that Minnesota
is mythical.  Sure, lots of people claim to be FROM there, but how
many of us are sure they were ever there?

				- W. Dean Stanton, Graphics Software
UUCP:	{decvax!ihnp4,ucbvax!amd,hpda,sri-unix,harpo}!fortune!stanton
USPS:	Fortune Systems Corp, 101 Twin Dolphin Drive, Redwood City, CA 94065
Phone:	(415) 594-2835
"A standard can always be improved.
 But it won't be; this is why it is a standard." - A. Lesea & R. Zaks