[net.wobegon] PHC's during NPR fundraising

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (11/20/84)

The past couple of weeks, our local NPR station has been holding a fundraising
drive. It seems that this is going on nation-wide, and the PHC broadcasts
have been tailored to support this -- last week's had a preceeding half-hour
of rebroadcasts of special bits from earlier shows, interspersed with gk
pushing for donations. There were long local interruptions during the show
also, however.

What I want to ask is: "What is going on at the theatre during those long
interuptions?" Are there all sorts of great acts and skits and music which
we local listeners have missed due to the fundraising babble? Or does the
entire cast and audience go out for coffee and doughnuts during this time?

Did anyone out there hear the last two broadcasts on a station which was NOT
doing fundraising? What sort of differences did you notice in the program?

Please post answers/comments.

Will

ericf@uwvax.UUCP (Eric Feigenson) (11/21/84)

WHA in Madison has had live broadcasts of PHC.  They are *NOT* in
fundraising mode.  What I believe happens is that PHC makes available
tapes of these "fundraising" shows to the NPR member stations, so that
when fundraising time comes around they just play the tape, which has
lots of breaks in it for soliciting pledges.  I remember one time I
was really miffed because the local station was in its pledge week,
they played the PHC pledge week tape, but the live national broadcast
(which indeed DOES occur when individual stations have their pledge
drives - not all stations do pledging concurrently) had some people
on I *REALLY* wanted to hear.

Such is life when you want non-commercial radio.

				-Eric

--

				    -Eric Feigenson

				    Usenet: {seismo, allegra, ihnp4}!uwvax!ericf
				    Arpanet: ericf@wisc-rsch.arpa

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (11/21/84)

Thanks for the data -- let's track this down. The PHC broadcast I heard
on 11/17/84, during local fundraising on KWMU (90.7 MHz, St. Louis, MO),
had The Manhattan Transfer as their special guests. The show was preceeded
by a taped half-hour intro consisting of bits from previous PHC broadcasts,
had a half-hour break in the middle, and concluded at 7:30 PM instead of
7:00 PM (CST). The "News" segment was some reminiscences of gk's about having
been in an auto-bus accident just prior to starting college, and getting in
another accident sometime later.

What was on the live 11/17/84 broadcast, if not this? And does anyone
recognize the above as being from a show broadcast before?

Will Martin

USENET: seismo!brl-bmd!wmartin     or   ARPA/MILNET: wmartin@almsa-1.ARPA

mlf@teddy.UUCP (Matt L. Fichtenbaum) (11/22/84)

   During WGBH's (Boston) recent fundraising, I listened to
part of the beginning of PHC on another station.  What goes
on "on stage" during fundraising is the normal PHC show, so
when your local station plays the recorded excerpts you do,
indeed, miss what's happening live.

   This past week's PHC began with a song that Garrison wrote
to put forth Minnesota's reaction to the election results.
Its theme was that, after Stassen, McGovern, McCarthy, and
now Mondale, Minnesota was tired of not winning presidential
elections (I suppose that McGovern is an honorary Minnesotan)
and wasn't going to field any more candidates.

   I don't remember other particular highlights.  WGBH carried
the second hour live.

Matt.

cas@cvl.UUCP (Cliff Shaffer) (11/23/84)

The 11/17/84 "live broadcast", or regular, non-fund-raising show of
PHC had The Manhattan Transfer, another group (something from Chicago?),
and a news segment consisting of some reminiscences of gk's about having
been in an auto-bus accident just prior to starting college, ...

I conclude from this that your station chopped out most of the live
show, replacing it with tapes and fund-raising stuff.  The monolog
section was preserved intact.
		Cliff Shaffer
		...rlgvax!cvl!cas

stv@qantel.UUCP (Steve Vance@ex2499) (11/24/84)

In article <6003@brl-tgr.ARPA> wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) writes:
>Thanks for the data -- let's track this down. The PHC broadcast I heard
>on 11/17/84, during local fundraising on KWMU (90.7 MHz, St. Louis, MO),
>had The Manhattan Transfer as their special guests.

Yes, that was the one.

>The show was preceeded
>by a taped half-hour intro consisting of bits from previous PHC broadcasts,
>had a half-hour break in the middle, and concluded at 7:30 PM instead of
>7:00 PM (CST).

In San Francisco, it was a normal, two-hour show, both on KQED (the
larger station that often has these "pledge" hacks like you describe)
and on KALW (which always broadcasts them live, as-is.)

>The "News" segment was some reminiscences of gk's about having
>been in an auto-bus accident just prior to starting college, and getting in
>another accident sometime later.

Yes, that was from that day's show, too.  Looks like your station cooked
up something special, by overlaying part of the live broadcast with
pre-taped material and tape delaying part or all of the stuff that was
happening in real time.  Actually, it sounds like you didn't miss much.
--

Steve Vance
{dual,nsc,intelca,proper}!qantel!stv

trb@masscomp.UUCP (Andy Tannenbaum) (11/26/84)

In article <61@uwvax.UUCP> ericf@uwvax.UUCP (Eric Feigenson) writes
(wrt fund-raising interfering with APHC broadcasts):

>Such is life when you want non-commercial radio.

I'm sorry, but Eric is mistaken.  Such is life when you want
money-grubbing, status seeking, non-commercial radio.  When I lived in
NJ, I was an avid supporter of and listener to WFMU 91.1 FM, which
broadcasts out of a basement at Upsala College (but is otherwise
unsupported by them).

WFMU raises its entire <$40K budget during a one-week annual fund
raising marathon.  No corporate grants or matching funds or commercial
crap of any kind.  No National Endowment for the Arts, no auctions, no
ladies with hyphens and pearls.  Just inspired, listener sponsored
radio.  No one makes a salary except the station manager, most of the
folks only have one or two shows a week.  The station stays on air all
the time except 3-7AM, unless someone feels like broadcasting then.

Boston, with all its big-money public radio, has nothing that even
comes close to the quality and novelty and inspiration of WFMU.
(WMBR at MIT at least steps in the right direction.)

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy APHC.  I enjoy Susan Stamberg, I enjoy
Dick Cavett.  I enjoy David Letterman.  I enjoy Johnny Carson.
Get the [] picture?

I don't want to hear your lies about what price we have to pay for
non-commercial radio.  Quarterly $100K pledge drives and gala balls
are not my idea of non-commercial radio.

(While I'm on the subject of the few things I miss about NJ, there is a
very special coffeehouse, called the Minstrel Show,  which currently
lives in the Environmental Center in Basking Ridge, home of AT&T.  Much
nicer than Passim's, which is Boston's premier folk spot.  It's open
every Friday night, 8-11.  For more info, call the NJ Folk Phone at 696
7524, if you're ever in town, like visiting Bell Labs, for instance.)

	Andy Tannenbaum   Masscomp Inc  Westford MA   (617) 692-6200 x274

jfh@browngr.UUCP (John "Spike" Hughes) (11/28/84)

So New Jersey has 'real' non-commercial radio, in which a few people (those
operating the station, doing the broadcasts, etc., while getting no salary)
donate their time (presumably worth a good deal of money, since in other
places people are paid a great deal for these services) while the listeners
get off easy.
   That's non-commercial radio all right.
   Something about this reminds me of an expression I heard while at
Princeton: A 'New Jersey virgin' is someone who's only had sex once. Perhaps
we can say that "New Jersey Listener Supported Radio" is radio supported
by a few listeners and some dedicated operators...

   In a way, I don't mind the fundraisers for PHC (or the rest of public
radio). They give me an opportunity to think about the tragedy of the common,
and to do my part to show that it doesn't always apply. I pledged some
money this year, and then had to go grab my letter to Princeton out of the
mailbox--I'd only sent them two-thirds as much!

gadfly@ihu1m.UUCP (Gadfly) (12/01/84)

--
>> So New Jersey has 'real' non-commercial radio, in which a few
>> people (those operating the station, doing the broadcasts, etc.,
>> while getting no salary) donate their time (presumably worth a
>> good deal of money, since in other places people are paid a great
>> deal for these services) while the listeners get off easy.
>>    That's non-commercial radio all right.
>>    Something about this reminds me of an expression I heard while
>> at Princeton: A 'New Jersey virgin' is someone who's only had
>> sex once. Perhaps we can say that "New Jersey Listener Supported
>> Radio" is radio supported by a few listeners and some dedicated
>> operators...

Madison, Wisconsin's "Back Porch Radio", WORT, does it both ways.
It is listener supported, with pledge marathons twice a year (or
more if there's a budget crisis), but salaries go to office, financial,
and engineering staff only.  All the programmers do it gratis, for
the love of the show they put on.  Thus, the classical and jazz DJs
are often performing musicians with intimate knowledge of the pieces
and large record collections.  And the guy who does the golden oldies
has more one-of-a-kind, never released demo pressings than humanly
possible.  Some of these folks have the radio personality of a
dead fish, but damn, they do know their stuff, and they certainly
put to shame some of the commercial and even NPR-affiliate announcers
who got the job simply because they talk pretty.
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****