[net.wobegon] About GK's show/format

jj@alice.UUCP (03/29/85)

Sitting around after a folk concert last weekend, I heard the main act
(who was from Minnesota) talking about the PHC, and being on the show.

His comment was that when you're  on PHS, you may wind up sitting for hours
after you  warm up, and before you're on. HE attributes the complete
blowup of Ed Trickett on the PHC last fall/winter to that, saying that he
waited sooo long that he was a wreck by the time he was on stage.  Given
that Ed Trickett is a pro (in the folks sense), that's a pretty strong
statement.

There was more, but it mostly had to do with the changing format of
the show as it's gotten more popular and commercial, and with what
several thought might be (FORBID) a GK personality change...<yeah, well>

Has anyone else had or heard of any experiences like the above?

--
TEDDY BEARS NEED SECURITY BLANKETS ONCE IN A WHILE!

"... John?  Who'd of thought it! ..."
(allegra,harpo,ulysses)!alice!jj

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) (04/08/85)

In article <3506@alice.UUCP> jj@alice.UUCP writes:
>His comment was that when you're  on PHS, you may wind up sitting for hours
>after you  warm up, and before you're on. HE attributes the complete
>blowup of Ed Trickett on the PHC last fall/winter to that, saying that he
>waited sooo long that he was a wreck by the time he was on stage.  Given
>that Ed Trickett is a pro (in the folks sense), that's a pretty strong
>statement.

What was the nature of the blowup?  Goodness, I'm starting to sound like a
National Enquirer junkie...

>There was more, but it mostly had to do with the changing format of
>the show as it's gotten more popular and commercial, and with what
>several thought might be (FORBID) a GK personality change...<yeah, well>

There does seem to be more emphasis on sketches, but actually, that's fine
by me...

As to personality changes, has anyone noticed how much Garrison looks like
Stephen King?
[Insert Twilight Zone music here...]

                                        "That's the biz, sweetheart"

					Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
					John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.
UUCP:
 {cornell,decvax,ihnp4,sdcsvax,tektronix,utcsrgv}!uw-beaver \
    {allegra,gatech!sb1,hplabs!lbl-csam,decwrl!sun,ssc-vax} -- !fluke!moriarty
ARPA:
	fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA

jj@alice.UUCP (04/10/85)

The blowup was that Ed couldn't remember any of the words to the
song he was about to sing. (The "Bricklayer's Lament", or whatever
YOU call it, it has as many titles as "authors"...)  He was quite good
natured about it, and Garrison was VERY helpful (at least ON the
air, dunno about off), and Ed finally got through the song, after a few
minutes of floundering...

"i hope you understand why Paddy's not at work today"

--
TEDDY BEARS NEED SECURITY BLANKETS, WRAP YOURS TODAY!

"I think I'm going to regret this!"
ihnp4!icarus!jj