[net.wobegon] HATE HATE HATE HATE...

hutch@shark.UUCP (Stephen Hutchison) (05/21/85)

In article <1367@amdcad.UUCP> mike@amdcad.UUCP (Mike Parker) writes:
>In article <924@trwatf.UUCP>, root@trwatf.UUCP (Lord Frith) writes:
>> No what I hate?  Some slick marketing campaign that depicts young,
>> active people going ape shit over product frobnitz, as if it were the
>> greatest joy of their lives.

>Oh, so now we're flaming advertisements, time to toss in my 2 bits..
>
>No what I hate? Frobnitz ( to borrow a term ) ads that start with
>" *most* people see this valley from down there " or " *most* people
>take the trail to get to this beach ". Well now that I know that
>the person in the ad is a superior being, I'm sure I want to run
>out and buy some frobnitz so I too can become superior. But then
>they end the ad with the famous line, " the question isn't whether
>frobnitz is good enough for you, are *you* good enough for
>frobnitz". The little bubble over my head bursts, the ray of light
>fades. FROBNITZ ISN'T GOING TO MAKE ME A SUPERIOR BEING IF I BUY IT,
>RATHER I HAVE TO BE SUPERIOR BEFORE I CAN BUY IT.

My name is Steve.  I'm a software evaluator.  I spend six months working
on schedules and tests that are rendered invalid by schedule slips and
changes to specifications two weeks before the product is due to ship
to customers.  So I end up doing the same thing on every project that
I work on: I poke at the program with a stick.  No plan, no finess, no
careful selection of poignant test cases.  It invariably breaks anyway.
I am required to certify in two weeks that a complicated system made
up of hundreds of lines of code in tens of modules, all written by different
engineers with different revisions of the specifications, will not only
work but will not have any bugs in it.  My cereal?  RAW BITS.  Raw Bits
oat hull and wheat chaff cereal.  Send us your resume and WE'LL decide
if YOU have what it takes to eat Raw Bits.

jans@mako.UUCP (Jan Steinman) (05/21/85)

>>> (Lord Frith)
>>> No what I hate?  Some slick marketing campaign that depicts young,
>>> active people going ape shit over product frobnitz, as if it were the
>>> greatest joy of their lives.

>>(Mike Parker)
>>No what I hate? Frobnitz ( to borrow a term ) ads that start with
>>" *most* people see this valley from down there " or " *most* people
>>take the trail to get to this beach ". Well now that I know that
>>the person in the ad is a superior being, I'm sure I want to run
>>out and buy some frobnitz so I too can become superior. But then
>>they end the ad with the famous line, " the question isn't whether
>>frobnitz is good enough for you, are *you* good enough for
>>frobnitz". The little bubble over my head bursts, the ray of light
>>fades. FROBNITZ ISN'T GOING TO MAKE ME A SUPERIOR BEING IF I BUY IT,
>>RATHER I HAVE TO BE SUPERIOR BEFORE I CAN BUY IT.

>(Stephen Hutchison)
>My name is Steve.  I'm a software evaluator.  I spend six months working
>on schedules and tests that are rendered invalid by schedule slips and
>changes to specifications two weeks before the product is due to ship
>to customers.  So I end up doing the same thing on every project that
>I work on: I poke at the program with a stick.  No plan, no finess, no
>careful selection of poignant test cases.  It invariably breaks anyway.
>I am required to certify in two weeks that a complicated system made
>up of hundreds of lines of code in tens of modules, all written by different
>engineers with different revisions of the specifications, will not only
>work but will not have any bugs in it.  My cereal?  RAW BITS.  Raw Bits
>oat hull and wheat chaff cereal.  Send us your resume and WE'LL decide
>if YOU have what it takes to eat Raw Bits.

My name is Jan.  I'm a ski patrolman.  People are glad I'm there, but I'm the
last person they want to see.  I spend twelve weekends a year earning a bit
over minimum wage, and I have to supply my own uniform and equipment, while
some snot-nosed kid straight out of community college gets $25k to drive a
comfy ambulance down in the valley.  I splint 'em and drag 'em down the
mountain in one piece so they can live to contact their lawyer and put my
area out of business with liability suits.  It's tough work, but someone's got
to do it, that's why I start each morning with a bowl full of BROKEN TIPS,
the cereal that hurts because it's good for you.  It's tough cereal, but
someone's got to eat it.
--
:::::: Jan Steinman		Box 1000, MS 61-161	(w)503/685-2843 ::::::
:::::: tektronix!tekecs!jans	Wilsonville, OR 97070	(h)503/657-7703 ::::::

arnold@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Ken Arnold%CGL) (05/24/85)

>>>(Mike Parker)
>>>No what I hate?
>>(Stephen Hutchison)
>>My name is Steve.  I'm a software evaluator.
>(Jan Steinman)
>My name is Jan.  I'm a ski patrolman.

My name is Ken.  Know what I hate?  I hate people not knowing what a
newsgroup is about before they post to it.  The newsgroup net.wobegon
is not for you to be wobegon in; it is for discussion of the radio show
"Prarie Home Companion", which is centered around Lake Wobegon, Minn.
Please take this newsgroup OUT of your header.

		Ken Arnold

P.S.  One other thing I hate is people saying "no" when they mean
"know".  I mean, if you're going to get snotty about other peoples'
behavior...