[net.wobegon] PHC in SF?

glassner@unc.UUCP (Andrew S. Glassner) (06/03/85)

I have a friend in the SF Bay area who would like to listen
to PHC, but doesn't know of a station in the area that carries
it.  If anyone out there can suggest where/when he should tune
to pick up some linguistic tips from Minnesota Language Systems
or suggestions from Bertha's Kitty Boutique I'd be glad to pass
them on, and there would be one more happy shy person in the world.

	-Thanks!
--

-Andrew		Andrew Glassner
glassner@unc	decvax!mcnc!unc!glassner

cuccia@ucbvax.ARPA (Nick "Coosh" Cuccia) (06/06/85)

In article <356@unc.UUCP> glassner@unc.UUCP (Andrew S. Glassner) writes:
>I have a friend in the SF Bay area who would like to listen
>to PHC, but doesn't know of a station in the area that carries
>it.  If anyone out there can suggest where/when he should tune
>to pick up some linguistic tips from Minnesota Language Systems
>or suggestions from Bertha's Kitty Boutique I'd be glad to pass
>them on, and there would be one more happy shy person in the world.
>
>	-Thanks!
>--
>
>-Andrew		Andrew Glassner
>glassner@unc	decvax!mcnc!unc!glassner

If your friends in the Bay Area want to listen to PHC, they can either
tune into KCSM (don't know the freq) at 3 on saturdays, or to KQED-FM
(88.5) at six.

And I hope that all of you out there in Netland had a wonderful
Syttende Mai...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Why do most recordings of Beethoven's Ninth sound like MMOs with the
  Choral tenor part missing?				----
						       /\   \
--Nick "Coosh" Cuccia				      /  \   \
--{...}!ucbvax!cuccia  		(USENET)	     /   /\   \
--cuccia%ucbmiro@Berkeley	(Arpanet)	    /___/  \___\

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

slesh@unisoft.UUCP (06/07/85)

In article <356@unc.UUCP> glassner@unc.UUCP (Andrew S. Glassner) writes:
>I have a friend in the SF Bay area who would like to listen
>to PHC, but doesn't know of a station in the area that carries
>it.  If anyone out there can suggest where/when he should tune
>to pick up some linguistic tips from Minnesota Language Systems
>or suggestions from Bertha's Kitty Boutique I'd be glad to pass
>them on, and there would be one more happy shy person in the world.
>
>	-Thanks!
>--

	It's on KQED (88.5 FM, I think) on Saturdays at 3:00.  When PHC
played the Warfield Theatre in S.F. a few weeks back it was rebroadcast
at 6 P.M.  It might be on another PBS station (I forget the call letters,
it's around 92 on the dial) also.  Here's to Powdermilk biscuits in the
Bay Area (known maybe as Harveymilk biscuits?)

						bob schlesinger
						...!ucbvax!unisoft!slesh

ccrrick@ucdavis.UUCP (Rick Heli) (06/15/85)

> 	It's on KQED (88.5 FM, I think) on Saturdays at 3:00.  When PHC
> played the Warfield Theatre in S.F. a few weeks back it was rebroadcast
> at 6 P.M.  It might be on another PBS station (I forget the call letters,
> it's around 92 on the dial) also.  Here's to Powdermilk biscuits in the
> Bay Area (known maybe as Harveymilk biscuits?)

That other station is FM 91, KXPR broadcasting at 50,000 watts
from California State University at Sacramento.  Time is 18:00
on Saturdays.
--
					--rick heli
					(... ucbvax!ucdavis!groucho!ccrrick)

ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) (06/18/85)

>>I have a friend in the SF Bay area who would like to listen
>>to PHC ...
>
>	It's on KQED (88.5 FM, I think) on Saturdays at 3:00.
>      ...  It might be on another PBS station (I forget the call letters,
>it's around 92 on the dial) also.

Unless I'm mistaken, KQED (88.5) only broadcasts at 6:00 local time.
KALW (91.7) broadcasts at 3:00 - the live time from Minnesota.

--
Ed Gould		    mt Xinu, 2910 Seventh St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146

dmm@calmasd.UUCP (David M. MacMillan) (06/28/85)

     Regarding inquiries into PHC in San Francisco, my personal
favorite is KALW-FM 91.7, the Broadcast Voice of the
San Francisco Unified School District.  Unless they have changed
quite recently, they air it at 3 pm Saturday.  They also
broadcast lots of music from the 1920's through the 1940's
(popular, big band, traditional jazz (and some ragtime)),
mostly on Saturday and Sunday evenings.  "The Swing Shift"
and "Come on and Hear" (Chrysanthemum Ragtime Band)
are particularly nice.
     KALW is the oldest (or second oldest) noncommercial FM
station west of the Mississippi, dating from an experimental
FM transmitter at the 1939 Treasure Island fair.  Be patient,
though, it's a weak station and easily overpowered by KCSM (which
is close on the dial, but not nearly as good.)

			       Sincerely,
			       David M. MacMillan

     P.S.  In San Diego, its on KPBS, 3 pm Saturdays, repeated
	   at noon on Sundays.