[net.wobegon] TAping the show

norman@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Norman Ramsey) (03/12/86)

In article <1317@phoenix.UUCP> maryrose@phoenix.UUCP (Maryrose Camuso) writes:
>I was away, and had the tape player set up to pick up the show,
>but there was a power failure, and it didn't tape. ARGHHHH!

How the devil do you manage to get two hours of show on to tape automatically?
Your technology must be superior -- what's your secret?
--
Norman Ramsey     norman@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu       Pianist at Large

faunt@spar.UUCP (Doug Faunt) (03/16/86)

At least three ways: C120 in an auto-reverse deck, reel-to-reel,
or, what I use, a HiFi VCR.

cb@hlwpc.UUCP (C Blesch) (03/17/86)

> How the devil do you manage to get two hours of show on to tape automatically?
> Your technology must be superior -- what's your secret?

I don't know how the original poster gets two hours of show on tape while
she's gone, but I do know of a couple of possible ways to do it:

1. Beta HiFi or VHS HiFi videotape machines (minimum tape capacity of
two hours -- can be MUCH longer), with tuner plugged into the VCR's
switched outlet

2. C-120 cassette in an autoreverse tape deck (you'll lose ten or so
seconds of show when the tape reverses, however) and outboard digital timer.

3. Reel-to-reel tape deck (don't know much about these, but I've heard
you can buy tapes that go for two hours on one side) and outboard timer

By the way, I have none of these.  I use C-120 tapes in my conventional
deck.  I wait until I've flipped the tape at 7 p.m. before I go out
(PHC is on between 6 p.m. and 8 p.m. here in the east),
and then just let the machine stop itself when the tape runs out at 8.

Carl Blesch

ron@celerity.UUCP (Ron McDaniels) (03/17/86)

In article <394@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU> norman@batcomputer.UUCP (Norman Ramsey) writes:
>>I was away, and had the tape player set up to pick up the show,
>>but there was a power failure, and it didn't tape. ARGHHHH!
>
>How the devil do you manage to get two hours of show on to tape automatically?
>Your technology must be superior -- what's your secret?

I use the audio input on my VCR. Set the built-in timer, voila!

R. L. (Ron) McDaniels

CELERITY COMPUTING . 9692 Via Excelencia Way . San Diego, California . 92126
(619) 271-9940 . {decvax || ucbvax || ihnp4 || philabs}!sdcsvax!celerity!ron
"Yes, my Precious. . . we hates them socket(2)eses!"

credmond@watmath.UUCP (Chris Redmond) (03/18/86)

>I don't know how the original poster gets two hours of show on tape while
>she's gone, but I do know of a couple of possible ways to do it:

Several suggestions were offered.

Not mentioned was the simple approach of using two machines, set
to turn themselves on at different times.  (Or three, or four.)
Lots of people have more than one machine available to them.

CAR

aptr@ur-tut.UUCP (The Wumpus) (03/21/86)

> In article <1317@phoenix.UUCP> maryrose@phoenix.UUCP (Maryrose Camuso) writes:
> >I was away, and had the tape player set up to pick up the show,
> >but there was a power failure, and it didn't tape. ARGHHHH!
>
> How the devil do you manage to get two hours of show on to tape automatically?
> Your technology must be superior -- what's your secret?
> --
> Norman Ramsey     norman@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu       Pianist at Large

I'd use a reel-to-reel recorder with 10" reels.